Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Soldato
For those interested, last DLC of the "Old World" is Bretonnia and is coming for free.

Next MAJOR expansion is due before Christmas.

We are thrilled to announce that in February 2017 we will be releasing a new edition of Total War: WARHAMMER with selected high street retailers. The big news is that it comes with a new playable race – Bretonnia. Why should you care if you already own Total War: WARHAMMER? Because you can download the Bretonnia Race Pack for free then too!

A contrast of lowly peasant masses and proud knightly orders, the feudal kingdom of Bretonnia features a host of powerful units and is lead into battle by a choice of three playable Legendary Lords; King Louen Leoncoeur, Alberic of Bordeleaux and the Fay Enchantress. More details about this iconic Warhammer Fantasy Battles Race will be revealed in the new year.

We’ve answered some of the most likely questions below.

1) What’s in the Total War: WARHAMMER – Old World Edition?
It is the original game, plus the Bretonnia Race Pack and an exclusive novella, ‘The Prince of Altdorf’ by Total War Writer Andy Hall.

2) Does it come with all the DLC? Is it a GoTY or Gold version?
No, it’s the original game and the Bretonnia Race Pack, and all the free-LC we’ve released to date of course. There are no plans to release a Gold or GoTY version of the game currently.

3) Why are you releasing this Edition?
It’s a great opportunity to mark the inclusion of a great and iconic Warhammer Fantasy Battles race, and a great point for anyone who hasn’t dived into the Total War: WARHAMMER game yet to get on board.

4) What will existing players get?
If you already own Total War: WARHAMMER, your game will be updated, and you will see the Bretonnia Race Pack available for free download in the Steam store. However, ‘The Prince of Altdorf’ novella is only available with physical copies of the game.

5) You said Bretonnia was coming this year, why is it delayed till February?
As we mentioned at the time, our free content plan is subject to change, and we took the opportunity of repackaging the game to add in more content for Bretonnia, with additional units and a third Legendary Lord for example.

6) Is anymore DLC coming for Total War: WARHAMMER?
Yes, our next major DLC expansion, and the next Free-LC is due before Christmas. It is growing now, there will be more news soon.

7) Will there be any more Free-LC after Bretonnia?
Yes, checkout our latest Free Content schedule for a hint: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_WARHAMMER_Future_Content_Blog#Free-LC

Soldato
Do you really need all the paid dlc to get most out of game, or is it fun without it all, as i heard you play against all the dlc factions anyway, you just need the dlc if you want to play as them, is this correct ?

Associate
Bought the Blood and the Grim and the Grave DLCs. The latter as im playing as Empire and this DLC appears to add units to them. I know very little, infact, nothing about the Warhammer universe :D Im learning on my feet!

Associate
Do you really need all the paid dlc to get most out of game, or is it fun without it all, as i heard you play against all the dlc factions anyway, you just need the dlc if you want to play as them, is this correct ?

Yes. Each of the 4 base factions has missing units (not the AI) unless you pay £6 per pair. Some major, like the undead corpse cart, mortis engine and squigs. Not as big a deal imo for empire and dwarves. Possibly fine if you never want to play undead or a goblin focused army.

They also give goblins and dwarves a new start position option.

Caporegime
For those interested, last DLC of the "Old World" is Bretonnia and is coming for free.

Next MAJOR expansion is due before Christmas.

Erm, you know that is talking about Christmas last year... right? Wood Elves. :p

Obviously you need to buy all of the content to get the "most" out of the game, isn't that a little self-explanatory? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. Each of the 4 base factions has missing units (not the AI) unless you pay £6 per pair. Some major, like the undead corpse cart, mortis engine and squigs. Not as big a deal imo for empire and dwarves. Possibly fine if you never want to play undead or a goblin focused army.

They also give goblins and dwarves a new start position option.

Thank you.

Soldato
Obviously you need to buy all of the content to get the "most" out of the game, isn't that a little self-explanatory? :confused:

Well a lot of games are great to play without any dlc, thats how it should be, not to have to buy dlc just to play a game that should have been complete at release, how can a game be released like this, where you pay once full price for game, then more money to buy major dlc to make game how it should have been at release, hate dlc like this with a vengeance, dlc is ok for things like skins,map packs etc, but not major things.

Soldato
Richdog;30479504 said:
The clue was in the wording:

That question was related to last year, otherwise if it was the same year it obviously wouldn't be talking about "delayed until February".

We all know it is going to be released in 3 major parts, DLC notwithstanding.

And my post was a copy from the TW FB account from Tuesday 06/02/2017 post, stating the NEXT expansion is out NEXT Christmas. AKA Xmas 2017 not 2016, and now they conclude also with the Old World edition of the game coming out alongside Bretonnia.

If you read at the discussion bellow their post there, they talk about Christmas 2017!!!!!!

Caporegime
Andr3w;30480877 said:
For some reason I can't play any race other than dwarfs. I find all the other races boring/confusing - anyone else the same?

Learn how to play the game with the other races so you don't get 'bored'?

Soldato
Got this in the Humble pack. I was waiting for the OWE, but couldn't turn down the base game for a tenner.

On my second campaign now; Vampire Counts. Saw a lot of people praising it as the best one, and I am finding it good fun. My first was Dwarfs, which I found far too easy. The Greenskins don't pose enough of a threat, and once they have been vanquished you have a buoyant economy and relative security given you're a long way from Chaos, and no other race has any interests in your territory. Their campaign really needs something else to provide challenge.

Soldato
I'm a good way through the VC campaign now. Played a slow game, minimal expansion until after Chaos fell (The Empire had grown quite strong, so defeating Chaos between us was easy). As soon as Chaos was gone, I expanded North in to all of the provinces they raised, doubling the size of my empire. This brought me in to conflict with The Empire. We broke our armies in each other's lands, crippling ourselves militarily. But I had the upper hand, being able to bounce back quicker from defeat or phyrric victory. I was going to grind them down eventually.

Then the Dwarfs came. 8 stacks, all elite units, straight in to Eastern Sylvania. They defeated the Orcs around turn 100, and I'd basically been paying them to not attack since then. Instead, they'd united every mountain settlement except Kraka Drak, and quelled The Border Princes and The Wood Elves. They are by far the biggest power on the map. Their forces decimated my southern provinces, eliminating every settlement as far as the Grey Mountains with just a single exception; they wouldn't besiege Castle Templehof. Otto Von Carstein retreated there with a full stack of troops. He's sallied forth a couple of times to pick off lone stacks of Dwarfs, but there's little hope of reinforcement any time soon - it's taking every undead creature I can muster to keep the Dwarfs and The Empire out of my Northern territories. With the loss of Sylvania and the well developed South, my economy is shot. I'm now losing about 5k per turn. The only reason I'm still going is because I had over 200k in reserve. The North is under developed having only recently been conquered.

It's going to be a tough slog to turn it around. The Dwarfs are even worse when the AI is playing them :p Might have to look around and see if there's any mods that alter their campaign to make it tougher. Maybe adding more Beastmen and Orc hordes down south would do the trick?

The Counts are great fun though :)

Soldato
As VC first thing you should do in your campaign when consolidate sylvania is to wipe out the main dwarf race.

Take out they main province and the orc will mop up.
And you can make an ally from Orcs but never the Dwarves.

While even if you pay them they will always declare war on you.

Soldato
I think I'm done with that campaign. It would be winnable if it wasn't for the 40v40 battlefield limit. I made some good inroads against the Empire, but I can't beat the Dwarfs elite gold chevron stacks without outnumbering them, and most of the time the AI has them in pairs. Silly, broken, game mechanic.

Associate
I stumbled across this thread and now I'm tempted to start playing again, especially since I have got all the DLC for free :)

Do any of you play with mods? I remember that something to stop the AI being able to endlessly run away from you in your own territory was necessary last time I played.

Back
Top Bottom