Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Soldato
For those interested. Over the weekend TW Warhammer won the SEGA Make War Not Love battle annual.
Which means on the Feb 28th, Isabella von Carstein will be coming as a new Legendary Lord free for all.

And also today the Bretonnia Free DLC video was posted, coming again as free DLC for everyone, concluding the Old World and the first part of the game.

Which is by far my favourite faction in the WHFB game, after Lizardmen.
HUZZAHHH :D

Soldato
Well... It appears I suck at this game :p I'm fine in the actual battles, but I just can't seem to progress in the campaign at all. Playing as vampire counts and I've done the very first part to take the second settlement in Sylvania and pretty much hit a wall. Every time I attack another settlement the enemy gets reinforcements and I end up fighting 2 armies which doesn't end well. Any starting tips for a noob? :p

Caporegime
Well... It appears I suck at this game :p I'm fine in the actual battles, but I just can't seem to progress in the campaign at all. Playing as vampire counts and I've done the very first part to take the second settlement in Sylvania and pretty much hit a wall. Every time I attack another settlement the enemy gets reinforcements and I end up fighting 2 armies which doesn't end well. Any starting tips for a noob? :p

Hint 1: Use Google https://www.google.ch/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=total+war+warhammer+vampire+counts+guide

Hint 2: Watch lots of Youtube videos.

Associate
General first moves for Vampire Counts is to attack the enemy army on turn 1 as the tutorial mission recommends. Raise what dead you can in the first area. After defeating it, follow and attack the remnants. This draws out reinforcements from the Templehof castle. You won't have trouble defeating the combined forces. Then, still on turn 1 you can attack the castle and take it if you are using either Vlad, or have Manfred's Vargulf. Taking western Sylvania's main region on turn 1 gets you off to a flying start.

Raise a 2nd army on turn 1 and you will be able to recruit more units straight away. I find that all the guides telling you to try to sacrifice your entire force in the first/2nd battle to try to generate a bigger raise dead pool is too risky.

I suggest taking the west fort region on turn 2 instead of moving both armies after Eshen. Otherwise it can get taken by Stirland. You will want to unify Eastern Sylvania quickly. Its probably best attacking Averland before doing the floating mission quest in North Sylvania, but you can try to do both at the same time, possibly raising a 3rd army. If Stirland take southern Averland and your plan is to try to trade with Stirland and the Empire it can cut off all your options on going after Dwarves to weaken them before Chaos arrives.

Soldato
General first moves for Vampire Counts is to attack the enemy army on turn 1 as the tutorial mission recommends. Raise what dead you can in the first area. After defeating it, follow and attack the remnants. This draws out reinforcements from the Templehof castle. You won't have trouble defeating the combined forces. Then, still on turn 1 you can attack the castle and take it if you are using either Vlad, or have Manfred's Vargulf. Taking western Sylvania's main region on turn 1 gets you off to a flying start.

Raise a 2nd army on turn 1 and you will be able to recruit more units straight away. I find that all the guides telling you to try to sacrifice your entire force in the first/2nd battle to try to generate a bigger raise dead pool is too risky.

I suggest taking the west fort region on turn 2 instead of moving both armies after Eshen. Otherwise it can get taken by Stirland. You will want to unify Eastern Sylvania quickly. Its probably best attacking Averland before doing the floating mission quest in North Sylvania, but you can try to do both at the same time, possibly raising a 3rd army. If Stirland take southern Averland and your plan is to try to trade with Stirland and the Empire it can cut off all your options on going after Dwarves to weaken them before Chaos arrives.

Just the kind of thing I was after :) I'll try starting a new game later and see if I can do any better! Cheers!!

Soldato
Just downloading a 2GB update.

Yep. Yesterday they were giving early access to those who have account on the Total War Access.
On Legendary Bretonnia looks the most difficult one. You are stuck around 10-14 turns around your starting province killing rebel Greenskins.
Which is a good thing considering that you need experience on your King.

Unit wise, until you get the Knights, they are trash, while over recruiting damages your economy.
On the plus side you don't have to expand. Research the tech that allows you confederation with the other Bretonnia factions and turtle in defending.

Please note, the plebs you have for troops are great on the sea against the Skalgs when they start knocking your doors. Just beeline the Lightning strike from the start on the King, and you can fend them off.
Also word of advice first techs, research the bonus chivalry on Greenskins. It will help a lot, since you will fight at least 8-10 rebellions.

All in all I really like the campaign :)
The good thing is that you can play with two more Bretonnian factions if you wish to do so.

Caporegime
I didn't realise it was out - I look forward to checking them out!

On the other hand, I heard this is the last major DLC as they're working on a sequel with elves, skaven, lizardmen, etc. Could be wrong, but we'll have to see.
There will likely be be some minor DLC additions coming such as sub-factions etc, but no more unique races until the second game as far as I am aware.

I'd love to know for certain which races are coming next... I think High and Dark Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven should be on the cards. it will be friggen epic. :D

Soldato
How is everyone finding Bretonnia?

I find it pretty tedious to be honest. You cannot get a decent army (no income) you have nowhere to conquer unless you start on the other Bretonnians (but then you cannot take them as your armies are ****) and trying to get the AI to co-ordinate an attack against an enemy is pretty much impossible. I find I just sit there hitting next turn hoping something will eventually occur :p

How have others found it?

Soldato
They're one of the most fun factions to play.

You're supposed to confederate the other Bretonnia factions, that way you get their powerful Lords.

Bretonnia is all about going on crusades to build up your chivalry. Head north and attack the annoying nords. Head southwest and get the greenskins or elves.

Make sure you utilise their powerful cavalry, don't let your Lords stay in one position for too long in the campaign map or they will get a negative trait.

Soldato
They're one of the most fun factions to play.

You're supposed to confederate the other Bretonnia factions, that way you get their powerful Lords.

Bretonnia is all about going on crusades to build up your chivalry. Head north and attack the annoying nords. Head southwest and get the greenskins or elves.

Make sure you utilise their powerful cavalry, don't let your Lords stay in one position for too long in the campaign map or they will get a negative trait.

I went and picked a fight with Marienburg which helped get some territory then fielding more armies I took out Mousillon.

I actually fought 3.2k undead with Leoncouers (1.2k) army and after auto resolve essentially said "you're ******" I decided to take them on and absolutely nailed them. Wiped them out to the last (dead)man and only lost 134 troops. Bassically sat on a hill using trebuchet and archers to whittle them down then let them charge my infantry using Leon and a Paladin to help hold the line. At the same time I marched around 500 cavalry round the hill out of site then gloriously hit their whole army in the rear in stereotypical Brettonian style, it was a glorious sight :p

How do you get them to confederate? Despite perfect relations none of them are ever interested? :confused:

Soldato
You
I went and picked a fight with Marienburg which helped get some territory then fielding more armies I took out Mousillon.

I actually fought 3.2k undead with Leoncouers (1.2k) army and after auto resolve essentially said "you're ******" I decided to take them on and absolutely nailed them. Wiped them out to the last (dead)man and only lost 134 troops. Bassically sat on a hill using trebuchet and archers to whittle them down then let them charge my infantry using Leon and a Paladin to help hold the line. At the same time I marched around 500 cavalry round the hill out of site then gloriously hit their whole army in the rear in stereotypical Brettonian style, it was a glorious sight :p

How do you get them to confederate? Despite perfect relations none of them are ever interested? :confused:

You need to make sure you have researched the ability to confederate that faction :)

Also, if you become a military ally it makes it a lot harder to confederate, try just stay defensive allies.

Soldato
You

You need to make sure you have researched the ability to confederate that faction :)

Also, if you become a military ally it makes it a lot harder to confederate, try just stay defensive allies.

Yeah I got that confederate skill and got 2 of them onboard straight away. I've actually not bothered confederations the rest as I need the trade income to keep me afloat.

I'm rather enjoying the faction now, keep your core safe then it's a case of riding off into the distance and just picking constant fights.

Wiped out the wood elves when they outnumbered me by around 800, it was actually relatively easy apart from the treemen/tree kin who kept bogging down my knights.

Back
Top Bottom