Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Soldato
I don't believe you :p. 1000's units crushed together zoomed in = slideshow.

I have experienced the same thing in every Total War title to date on numerous different configurations. Warhammer is no different unfortunately.

I've never experienced what you say and I've played every TW title, only time I had issues was when I was using a very old rig on shogun 2 for a week or so before my new one arrived.

Caporegime
I've never experienced what you say and I've played every TW title, only time I had issues was when I was using a very old rig on shogun 2 for a week or so before my new one arrived.

lol

It is widely documented and has happened on countless different machines i have had over the years on all Total War games and has happened every time i have seen it played elsewhere or on other peoples machines as well.

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/total-war-warhammer-pc-performance-analysis/

There are always some who claim to max the game out and get 60fps constantly even zoomed in with 1000's of men bunched together fighting but it is just lies. Certain angles over massive zoomed in clashes destroy the framerate. No one has ever been able to show me otherwise.

1000's of units are fine if they are not in melee but once they all start clustering together fighting and you zoom in the framerate often turns to ****.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you even bought the game or just enjoy moaning about it?

Really happy with how well it runs on my lappy, can't wait until I get back to get it on my desktop

Caporegime
lol

It is widely documented and has happened on countless different machines i have had over the years on all Total War games and has happened every time i have seen it played elsewhere or on other peoples machines as well.

http://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/total-war-warhammer-pc-performance-analysis/

There are always some who claim to max the game out and get 60fps constantly even zoomed in with 1000's of men bunched together fighting but it is just lies. Certain angles over massive zoomed in clashes destroy the framerate. No one has ever been able to show me otherwise.

1000's of units are fine if they are not in melee but once they all start clustering together fighting and you zoom in the framerate often turns to ****.

From "certain angles"? Is it not possible that most people playing the game just don't notice the issue then? Making it for them a non issue?

Soldato
lol

I've never noticed it once, perhaps it does stutter a little bit but never to the extent I've noticed it enough to make an issue of it or feel it spoils the game to the extent you seem to feel it does.

Each to their own though, I'm not arguing as it may really bother you, I've just never noticed it.

Caporegime
Have you even bought the game or just enjoy moaning about it?

Really happy with how well it runs on my lappy, can't wait until I get back to get it on my desktop

Yes i have it and have been enjoying it a lot.

It is just disappointing that CA, despite their comments, still haven't got rid of the cpu bottlenecking.

Fingers crossed the dx12 patch will finally fix it somewhat.

Soldato
I have not had much chance to play, but considering I'm on a two-year old gaming laptop, its running smoothly at 1920x1080 on High. I fully expect a slideshow when there's six thousand figures on my screen later in the game. Otherwise, battle loading times, NPC turns, and the actual game load times are far better than the older Total War games. I can remember having time to send a text and check my email with Rome 2 - not so with this one.

Pointless performance comparisons aside, I'm looking forward to a good opportunity to get stuck into the game. I've done the first few rounds for The Empire and The Dwarfs - and my main issue at the moment is the sheer number of other provinces and areas with weird fantasy names and I have no idea where they are, how easy they are to get to, and in some cases what race they are. In the short time I was playing the Empire last night, I spent ages just examining all my neighbours and their attitudes.

The different systems for each race also mean this game potentially has quite a lot of replayability. I see that a lot of the races have little or no missile capabilities though - which are my favourite troops - I hope they haven't nerfed them into the floor.

Associate
Yes i have it and have been enjoying it a lot.

It is just disappointing that CA, despite their comments, still haven't got rid of the cpu bottlenecking.

Fingers crossed the dx12 patch will finally fix it somewhat.

Could simply be too much to ask of even a modern system when zoomed in on 1000s of units in melee at ultra settings?!
Because, you know... there's 1000s of them?

Associate
I managed to grab a couple of hours last night. First impressions are good, I had to disable Afterburner and put Steam in offline mode to get it to work. I hear those issues are being worked on.

I have played Total War before and never really got into it. The subject matter is what pulled me in here, I think if you really enjoy the Warhammer universe, this is good game to try out. I completely agree with Flibby, it's really annoying when a enemy is ransacking your city and you can't quite catch up with your army. It feels a little Benny Hill... I suspect when I understand the game more, ill be able to counter that issue though.

The actual battles are really fun, I had a couple where I should have lost as I was completely outnumbered, but with a few tactical master-strokes ;) I was able to win with a very close victory. Using terrain is extremely important, from hiding units in forests to making sure your catapults are on high ground.

As for performance, I can't give any actual stats or figures yet as I had Afterbuner switched off, which is what I rely on for FPS, temps and usage. I can say though that I had everything switched to max settings, resolution at 1440P and never noticed any frame drops or performance concerns. I have not yet had massive battles, but so far so good.

Soldato
I'm impressed so far. I was fully expecting my 970 to be incapable of running it at anything above high settings but the game automatically set things to ultra and it seems to be very smooth. I haven't played an enormous battle yet, e.g. four full 20 unit armies, but so far things are surprisingly good.

I started as the dwarves to get an idea of how the game works and they seem fun to play as, though their lack of movement on the campaign map makes chasing down armies slightly frustrating. I spent ages trying to catch an army containing Azhag the slaughterer, only for it to be too fast to catch every time. In the end I managed to assassinate him instead.

Soldato
lol

Already covered with DSO's article not being truthful. We get your experience trumps everyone elses but give it a rest.

I had to disable Afterburner and put Steam in offline mode to get it to work. I hear those issues are being worked on.
having to play offline should have been fixed with the hotfix sent out yesterday. if you are still just getting a black screen on start up after waiting a bit, alt tab and make sure Windows firewall isn't blocking the game. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Associate
Thins that tend to cause me issues with games, just in case you haven't already done them.

Disable Team Viewer
Disable Afterburner
Verify Integrity of cache via Steam
Disable AV for 10 minutes, just to see if the game launches

Can't think of much else. Try Steam in offline mode. Just in case. If you have tried all that, you have my sympathies. PC gaming is awesome until something random like a game not working for no reason happens. :(

Back
Top Bottom