Warhammer: Vermintide 2

Associate
So apparently they're making a second game, which I didn't know about. I enjoyed the first, and as this says the new one has mod support it could be pretty interesting IMO.

Soldato
I never played the first one of this game. Is it worth getting? It seems to be reasonably priced on Steam at the moment. So I could see if I like the game reasonably safely without spending too much.

Associate
Got to play a pre-alpha build of this, it is great fun. You can easily tell that this game has a higher budget. Combat feels fluid and no longer clunky. Atmosphere was great, lots of environmental props, fires etc

Main negative was the head bob, way too much for me. Hopefully the full game have a way to disable/lower this, but the pre-alpha version doesnt have a settings menu, and cannot find a way to remove in the config files.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to play a pre-alpha build of this, it is great fun. You can easily tell that this game has a higher budget. Combat feels fluid and no longer clunky. Atmosphere was great, lots of environmental props, fires etc

Good to hear, can't wait for the beta to come out.

Associate
release date confirmed for March 8th on PC

22nd Feb for closed beta (progress not saved)
28th Feb for pre-order early start (progress will save unless there's a problem)

played a lot of the 1st, and have mates keen to play this, but I'm waiting for feedback, as I'm getting almost tired with the wave shooter, especially if this is just more of the same from the 1st (but with a lick of paint).

Soldato
Didn't really play the first one as the maps got boring real quick and the rest were behind dlc payments. Which is a shame as I loved the idea. Hopefully this will be far more interesting and less one map dlc

Associate
I played a few rounds yesterday. More positives than negatives, but it's not completely glowing praise...

At the moment it seems to be a bit more than just the 1st game with a touch of paint, but equally I'm unsure how much different it will feel after a few sessions. I guess it all depends on how many maps there are, and how varied they feel/play. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a repeated grinding of only 1 or 2 maps, almost how the 1st game became.

1st reaction - oo, this is nice, we're not in a cave/tunnel... lol

initially seemed harder than the 1st and then after 1 round we seemed to clear both levels with 3 tombs (admittedly only on normal). Not found the grimoire pickups yet tho.

The loot/drops seem to work a bit better, but we will have to wait and see how the higher-tier drops work. Also, I can't see a need for the forge if you can use everything through the crafting tab in the inventory.

Shame there's no new characters, but the new sub-classes/careers should bring some variety. For a 4 player co-op game, the choice of 5 characters seems annoyingly limited, especially when you can't have duplicates in the group - as there's many times that your preferred character is already taken, which adds frustration and forces you to play an alt that you're possibly not in the mood to use. Adding just 1 or 2 more characters would help alleviate this.

Some of the fire weapons seem OP at the moment - I had 1 round with a mate using the mage and they were laughing that their new staff they had was OP, and that was right after another mate was laughing their dwarf flamethrower was silly OP too... First I tried the witch-hunter who just seemed a bit meh in comparison (especially as he seems to require everyone to spam T all the time to tag/ping specials for his damage perk), and then I tried the elf, who was far more fun (and the health regen is welcome when carrying a tomb), but I never had "this is so ace, it's almost OP and almost needs a nerf!" moments like the mage and dwarf players seemed to get.

It also seems quite buggy, with a few of us getting sound bugs (suddenly losing nearly all sound) and/or dropped to desktop at times. Given it's only a few weeks 'til launch, it's a little worrying...

At least it's only £20, which seems a fair price - especially when many new games now seem to be over £30...

Soldato
I haven't had any bugs, but i think you got the mail on the head with the characters. It's a little too much like the first game for me, just prettier. Will be interesting to see how many maps there are and what they bring to the table. Managed to get through one of them with 2 grims and 3 tomes and only got a green sword for my trouble (emperor crate) so I think the grind will be real.

I should add that we had a dwarf with flamethrower and mage with fire staff that seemed to just demolish large groups instantly.

£20 feels about right though. I think the pricing is well set as it is a good game, but not a massive departure from the existing one.

Back
Top Bottom