Wee beastie

Man of Honour
So I know I've been going on about it forever and I'm a slacker etc etc :)

But sometimes life just gets in the way. And sometimes once life is out the way something else gets in the way just when you are ready to knuckle down and do the build.

So this is where I got to after fitting the water blocks and just roughly fitting all the parts to test for water loop locations etc.

Spot the massive problem :eek:

oops_295.jpg
oops2_295.jpg

So I tried smaller fittings, no dice, the PSU is just too close to the card.

Could I live with only 3 cards?... er.. ARE YOU KIDDING!?

What about a different case, looks like the Corsair 800D would do the trick.

Hmm but thats like £200++ :eek: and you know I hate to lose to a case. :)

So what else can I do?

This:

7997_2.jpg

Well I've decided to sell the bottom block and get a block that has the fittings close to the back of the case pointing up. Then join the one output fitting on the bottom of the 3rd EK to the closer of the two fittings on the Aquagrafx block.

I've planned it in my head, hopefully it gives me more options as I really need to get the PSU inside the case, and it only cost me £70 instead of £200+ for a new case as funds have just about dried up for this build :o

Soldato
Its hard to tell from the picture how much space there is between the bottom edge of the psu to the case bottom.
I was thinking maybe cutting a small section from the case below the psu and re-drill for the psu backplate allowing it to sit slightly lower down.
The backplate would cover a bit of the gap created at the top or you could make a custom one.
Maybe it's a rubbish idea but thats all I have to offer, sorry :(

Man of Honour
OP
Hehe glad to entertain :p

oh I should have said already ordered the new block.

So yes thought about modifying the case not exactly been averse to it in the past but honestly I couldn't bring myself to :( case is too nice and would lose all resale value if say I did decide to trade it for an 800D if my plan goes pear shaped :eek:

space below the card is about 1.5 cm

Associate
First of all..............AWESOME!

Secondly: What case/cards/Mobo/PSU are you using?

Thirdly: Beg, borrow or buy a decent camera and get some new pics. Would like to see one of the whole system.

Fourthly: I'd just leave it with the PSU a couple of inches out of the case as you have it on the pictures. You could get some rods from a DIY store to make it attached. If it was me I'd want all the blocks to match.

good luck :D

Man of Honour
OP
First of all..............AWESOME!

Secondly: What case/cards/Mobo/PSU are you using?

Thirdly: Beg, borrow or buy a decent camera and get some new pics. Would like to see one of the whole system.

Fourthly: I'd just leave it with the PSU a couple of inches out of the case as you have it on the pictures. You could get some rods from a DIY store to make it attached. If it was me I'd want all the blocks to match.

good luck :D

Heh, I'm just trying what lots of other mad ***** have done before me. I have an opportunity to build it without worrying some of the running costs.

I've got a camera, just was taking a few snaps with my phone while testing the layout. :)

The PSU has to be in the case, properly. The system will be dual tasked as a large storage system and where its located it has to be professionally finished.

As to the hardware, I'm taking a few risks.

Case is a Lian-Li A70B with the radiator top panel. Its the same case I used when it had 4 9800GTs and then 3 GTX260's.

Mobo was a P5Q Premium originally but the slots were too close together so now its a AsRock x58 Deluxe with i7 920

Cards are Gainward GTX295's I think I might have got one of the last batches, hope none are broke :p

The blocks matching isn't such an important thing. There won't be a window, its all about function but I think it will look pretty good, certainly better than a hacksawed case or PSU sticking out.

PSU is a 1500W Xigmatek which is the exact same PSU as the Thermaltake Toughpower 1500, except cheaper and a bit quieter. :)

So it should be fun trying to get it all working, there are a few unknowns but I think its the journey that matters for me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
That should give me 70K on top :) :eek: :p

Current 45K-ish is:
1. i7@3800 + GTX260@1512
2. Q6600@2400
3. Q9650@3000 + 9800GT@1512
4. Q6600@2400 + 9800GT@1512

While I was building it I did have my Dads machine borged which was a [email protected] + GT240 but thats gone now :(

Soldato
Just seen this - crazy! Thank God you won't be footing the bill for the running costs! Is the i7 going to be running SMP or even -bigadv?

Back
Top Bottom