Wee beastie

Man of Honour
OP
Bitspower make the shortest 90deg fitting I think. Have ordered a couple last night. They are not rotating ones however. I've got the rotating one and the knurled section makes it too high.

After this it's new case time. Anything out there cheaper than a 800/700D but with the same featureset? :)

Associate
It depends on a couple of things. Does the bottom card sit in slot 6 or slot 7 at the back of the case?

Most cases have 7 slots and then a gap of of 2cm between the bottom edge of slot 7 and the floor of the case. So IMO if your card sits in slot 6 almost any case with the PSU at the top will do. If it sits in slot 7 how tall are the fittings?

If you do have to go for a new case how about a Cooler Master 840 for £150
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-159-CM

You can put the PSU at the top leaving loads of room below the bottom card.

If I was going to spend £210 I'd rather have a P80 Armoursuit or an X500 (both Lian Li). I'm not a fan of the Corsair 800D.

Man of Honour
OP
My current case will take the PSU at the top or the bottom, problem is I have a whopping great Thermochill in there now :)

So we need a case that can take a minimum 120.3 in the top and a 120.1 at the back and probably a separate compartment for the PSU at the bottom.

Soldato
Biffa - saw this comment on another forum for running a folding rig with multiple gpu's

So you will basically have 8 GPUs in that system? I think you are going to bump into some BIOS problems trying to get that many GPUs into a single system. The BIOS has to assign memory mapped I/O address space to each one, and you will hit the 32bit limit very quickly with that setup.

Read up on the Atlas Folder, to see what hoops they had to jump through to get a lot of GPUs running in the same system. Basically they had to get a specially coded BIOS and then do some Linux kernel hacking to get it working.

:confused:

Man of Honour
OP
No it doesnt, well what I mean is the Asus may have had some troubles but I think most of them were worked out with a recent normal bios, but thats one of the reasons I steered clear of the P6T7

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
LATEST UPDATE

Been fiddling tonight and managed to get everything to fit together on the rig. So started laying out the tubing to see where the best runs are.

23032010057.jpg
23032010058.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Kept same case. Just different lower block on the fourth card and some creative use of fittings. Still not 100% happy with it. Just threw it together I'm what looked most logical last night.

Associate
mmm foldytastic indeed!
Isn't half the fun of building getting to the stage where you go oh #@%* how do i sort this out? :p

I still reckon your underestimating its potential though! The cards (at stock) should do somewhere around 65k ppd. OC'd (very easy to do and stable under water, but depends if this is feasible in the 'proffesional' location) they should hit ~80k combined. Plus the i7, although i imagine 8gpu clients will have quite a large cpu footprint + the business tasks on the cpu.

Man of Honour
OP
Leak tested the CPU loop last night. Left it running overnight after jury rigging the PSU to just run the pump.

No leaks so far. :)

Plan on putting a cheapo NVidia card in tonight and installing OS and drives etc, maybe run a couple of bigadv WU's on the i7 920 to see how far I can push the overclock and see what the temps are like.

Will upload some pics tonight.

Soldato
You should get yourself a massive tank you can fill with water, and a tap marked Hot Water on the front of the case and fill in the blanks! :D

Any one fancy a GPU-powered brew? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom