Wee beastie

Soldato
So tempted to WC my rig! I love fiddling with my computer's innards lol. I especially like the white tubing with the black anti-kink spiralling!

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Spend.

Man of Honour
OP
Damn and blast, I think the memory I had is dodgy :(

So I setup a minimal install, with a low end nvidia gfx card, just the cpu loop, memory, hdd etc just the bare essentials, planning on installing the OS and getting everything stable before installing the 295's.

It wouldn't detect all 3 DIMMS only showing 4GB and was unstable as hell. Tried a few things, swapping DIMMS out and it was just failing all over the shop. Then after a while it wouldn't boot up at all :( Or it would boot, stop, then reboot itself but no signal on the monitor and no beeps or HDD noises, just lights and fans. Exactly the same if I booted it with no memory at all.

Reset CMOS, removed hardware tried every bloomin thing.. then tried the memory in my other rig and it was all over the shop very flaky, crashing, not booting etc etc.

Popped the OCZ back in and it was sweet as a nut... so....

DAMN YOU CRUCIAL AND YOUR 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ballistix Memory (Part number BL3KIT25664BN1608)... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!

Ordered some OCZ, hope the mobo isn't b0rked :eek:

Man of Honour
OP
Gonna take it apart. Hope its not the board, but its just time. Don't have another 1366 cpu to test but it could be:

1. Mobo
2. CPU
3. PSU
4. Something shorting on the case (would it short on an ally case?)

Can't be the ram now. Got a different PSU to test but eugh.. pita!!

Associate
I had this memory problem with my i7 build- the 6 gb memory only showing up as 4. Tried many things, and searching forum, it seems that in some mobos, the things to plug the cpu cooler may be too close to the memory, and in effect, with inconsistent seating of the cpu cooler, may bend the memory slots such as they don't work too well- mine started detecting 6 after I changed cpu coolers, so I haven't touched it since, but that might be it- maybe try loosening the screws holding down the cooler a bit?

Man of Honour
OP
Well if I can get this working I won't need it. But to have something for the weekend if I have to RMA the original board meant I had to order something today.

The only option other than the two decently priced ASRock x58 boards with 4 double width slots are the crazily priced P6T7 and the amazingly expensive EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI :eek:

Maybe I should have bought all of them and done a review.

Soldato
Hmm yeah I'm gonna do a rebuild. But just in case have ordered a P6T7 WS :D

:eek:

/looks at price again.

Nope, sorry....

eek_big.gif

Back
Top Bottom