Wee beastie

Man of Honour
OP
I had this memory problem with my i7 build- the 6 gb memory only showing up as 4. Tried many things, and searching forum, it seems that in some mobos, the things to plug the cpu cooler may be too close to the memory, and in effect, with inconsistent seating of the cpu cooler, may bend the memory slots such as they don't work too well- mine started detecting 6 after I changed cpu coolers, so I haven't touched it since, but that might be it- maybe try loosening the screws holding down the cooler a bit?

Grim, would be interested where you saw the info on this and any other info.

Could be I have the CPU block wound down too tight. Would like to confirm its not a problem with the board because if I can get it working I'll do back to back tests with the P6T7 and the Asrocks.

The Asrock range of X58 mobos that will take 4 double height cards range from £150 to £200 for the Deluxe, Extreme and "SuperComputer" models. All look pretty much of a muchness http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.as...tedModel=X58+Deluxe&SelectedModel=X58+Extreme but compared to the alternatives that are all £340+ it would be great if they did work well :)

Man of Honour
OP
UPDATE:
OK so tried memory, same problem.

PSU powers on for a second, then turns off then turns on again but nothing on the screen and no keyboard lights.

Tried loosening all the CPU block screws incase it was that. Nope. So unplugged the 1500W PSU, and went rooting around for a PSU, thought I had a 750W somewhere but no ended up with a 300W Antec! With only a 20pin ATX and 4 Pin 12V !! how shameful...

But thought whats the worse that can happen, the PSU just won't be able to hack it right?

(BTW only have the CPU and a single 2D gfx card in at the moment) :eek:

Put a single DIM in (new OCZ).. Plugged it in.. Wahay!.. off it goes no problem straight into windows.

OK shut down.

Swap OCZ for the Crucial.. boom tish! works. Hmm.. put all three DIMMs in.. nope bios says triple channel but only 4GB.. but cpuz says 6GB and sees all DIMMS... arrggh!

Last edited:
Soldato
What about reflashing the BIOS, maybe even trying an earlier version, just for elimination. Have you got a 32bit Bios :eek:
Can you test the memory from within windows using memtest, stress it and see if the OS able to use all 6Gb?
You are having fun and games with this one...

Man of Honour
OP
I'm going to install a 64bit OS and see what it shows, then run some Prime tests. I think also in Vista 64bit you can test with memtest.

Anyone else know a windows memory testing util? Preferably 64bit

Man of Honour
OP
Windows Memory Diagnostic is limited to testing only the first 4 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. If you have more than 4 GB of RAM, the remaining RAM after the first 4 GB will not be tested by Windows Memory Diagnostic.

:(

Thanks tho

Man of Honour
OP
Well for testing the 300W PSU is good, but not for testing overclocks. :)

[email protected] + watercooling = 360W :eek:

Oh and its back to one of the Crucial being faulty. Once I got the system stable I tried the memory in one at time in every slot and one of the DIMMS wouldn't work in any slot.

Put the OCZ back in and we were off at 6GB in Bios and 6GB in winders.

Now to retest the 1500W PSU :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Looks like the mobo is fubar couldn't get the machine to start :( time for an ema on that. Took everything out and plugged the new mobo in and started first time :)

Back
Top Bottom