Weight loss - Weight bench or exercise bike?

Associate
Gotta echo Sonnys recommendation - skipping for cardio is a blast, just a heads up though -- if you haven't skipped before dont get discouraged if you are a spaz when starting, the coordination comes fast.

Man of Honour
Not a bad idea, an "I want to lose weight/body recomp., where do I start?!" pre-emptive thread. We generally go through the same process for everyone anyway...

Step 1: what are your goals?

Step 2: what are you currently doing activity wise?

Step 3: what are you currently eating?

Step 4: Change most of the things in step 2 and 3, and maybe get a hair cut

Step 5: Success!

;)

Man of Honour
Could someone clarify this - If I'm doing weights and I step up the weight but really struggling with pushing out 15 reps what am I supposed to do? Just do as many as I can and hope I improve as I go on?
The weights will only work if they're difficult, you're body will only be forced to adapt if the reps you aim for are a serious struggle. 15 reps is fairly arbitrary anyway, 10-12 would be fine too.

Soldato
OP
The weights will only work if they're difficult, you're body will only be forced to adapt if the reps you aim for are a serious struggle. 15 reps is fairly arbitrary anyway, 10-12 would be fine too.

So I really need to be giving it my all coming up to the last of the reps? Makes sense... I'll be sure to step up the weights from now on. But what happens when I get 10kg on each dumbbell and it becomes a breeze? Buy bigger weights?

Man of Honour
That would be when you need to decide whether more weight would actually be worth it. Considering that when squatting and deadlifting you could probably do 40kg with a proper bar now, and with good training hit 100kg on both within a year, are cheap DB weights a wise investment? Unfortunately, the exercises where you'd use more weight are the ones that are better for fat loss (and everything else...).

Soldato
OP
That would be when you need to decide whether more weight would actually be worth it. Considering that when squatting and deadlifting you could probably do 40kg with a proper bar now, and with good training hit 100kg on both within a year, are cheap DB weights a wise investment? Unfortunately, the exercises where you'd use more weight are the ones that are better for fat loss (and everything else...).

I'm not sure what you are saying, when I hit 20kg with my weights and can do it easily, I should get heavier weights and change my routine?

Man of Honour
I'm saying you should probably get down to a gym :) Because yes, you will need more weight.

Any additional weights you buy are not going to be any use when you get a proper routine sorted. The exercises you need to be doing to aid fat loss are:

squat
deadlift
lunges
bench
rows
overhead press
powerclean

... plus variations. These need a good amount of weight (~100kg for some), and good racks/benches. DBs with 20kg will be ok only very temporarily, adding more weight to this set up won't be a sound investment. If that's what you want to do then good, you're doing more exercise than most people, but I'd strongly advise against it.

Soldato
OP
So it seems like I shouldn't be doing dumbell exercises at all if it's not going to help me lose weight unless I have really heavy ones. :S

Man of Honour
It depends. For the time being if you can get yourself gasping for air with what you've got then great. I really don't want to discourage you from doing weights completely, maybe look into doing complexes. For these I use as little as 30-40kg (not a willy waving statement, but compared to what I normally use this is small) and I'm completely destroyed by the end of it.

Read here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

Soldato
OP
It depends. For the time being if you can get yourself gasping for air with what you've got then great. I really don't want to discourage you from doing weights completely, maybe look into doing complexes. For these I use as little as 30-40kg (not a willy waving statement, but compared to what I normally use this is small) and I'm completely destroyed by the end of it.

Read here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

But even with the light weights I've been using so far I have noticed a visible difference in terms of gaining muscle all around my body... They don't make me gasp for air by any means though....

Man of Honour
Those changes will slow down. Like I said, I don't want to discourage you, but there is a limit to the adaptation you can induce with a small set of dumbbells. If you can pick up some extra plates and perhaps a bar cheaply then I'd say go for it, but the FAR superior option would be to join a gym.

What do you think of the complexes? Don't be put off by some of the marketing and images on t-nation, there is quality information available there.

Caporegime
I looked at those you linked but I'm 5ft 6 and 190lbs so obese. I don't think I'd have a chance of doing those until my fitness level increases.

I just don't see why it'd be a bad idea to get heavier weights for my dumbells.

edit :

How would this be?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purefitness...CE/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1324340279&sr=8-28

I'd recommend not going for Vinyl weights...they're cheaper, but so cumbersome due to the size.

You would be better off getting some metal ones for sligthely more money

EDIT: For the same price: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...il/searchtext>GREAT+DEALS+ON+YORK+WEIGHTS.htm

Also, you can get what you wanted for much less: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...il/searchtext>GREAT+DEALS+ON+YORK+WEIGHTS.htm

Oh and look on here for deals sometimes: http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Caporegime
tbh, i wouldnt go near that stuff

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...grip_olympic_weight_set_7ft_bar_/12593_p.html

that is the bare minimum i can suggest tbh, it will hold its value and will last forever unlike "vinyl" which could only last you a short while.

you will also need matting another £60-100 easy

then a decent bench another £150-200 easy

join a gym, stop looking for a cheap option, cheap options are cheap for a reason.

ebay and 2nd hand from gumtree is worth a shout for olympic gear, but seriously a home gym will only be as good as how much money you throw at it.

Soldato
OP
tbh, i wouldnt go near that stuff

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...grip_olympic_weight_set_7ft_bar_/12593_p.html

that is the bare minimum i can suggest tbh, it will hold its value and will last forever unlike "vinyl" which could only last you a short while.

you will also need matting another £60-100 easy

then a decent bench another £150-200 easy

join a gym, stop looking for a cheap option, cheap options are cheap for a reason.

ebay and 2nd hand from gumtree is worth a shout for olympic gear, but seriously a home gym will only be as good as how much money you throw at it.

But I really am not expecting anything special with the £100 bench I linked, it's just something their to help me further... I'm not after taking this weight training thing to seriously I just want it to help me to get better in shape a long with a suitable diet.

As I said I need a bench anyway even for the basic dumbell exercises I'm doing now, for £100 I just can't see why it wouldn't be a bad investment as I get the bench and the weights.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Would this bodyweight workout be better?

Workout
A1 Pistol squats - 2-3x10-20 / 45
A2 Dips - 2-3x10-20 / 45
A3 Chinups - 2-3x10-20 / 45
A4 Pushups - 2-3x10-20 / 45 -work your way up to a handstand pushup
A5 Inverted rows - 2-3x10-20 / 45
A6 Hanging leg raises - 2-3x10-20 / 45 -work your way up to a full hanging V-up
A7 Back extensions - 2-3x10-20 / 45 -eventually, try glute-ham raises

Man of Honour
I looked at those you linked but I'm 5ft 6 and 190lbs so obese. I don't think I'd have a chance of doing those until my fitness level increases.
With an attitude like that I can't really help you.

Man yourself up, give them a try, and get moving.

A bench will only help you do bench press, which is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The workout you just posted is fine, provided you can do all those things safely.

Soldato
Weight training is good for gaining definition as you lose the weight but your goal has to focus on losing fat long term.

Your very first step should be "can I lose fat through diet". Because if your diet is against you you're never going to reach your goals, whatever they may be. This is hellishly complicated, research it though and you'll benefit.

The next step is cardio.

You don't need a bike, cross trainer or anything else, just walk an hour a day. If you live within a few miles of work walk to work, get up earlier - the exercise will wake you up. If you don't, get off the bus earlier, walk somewhere for lunch - just work something out. A cheap bike to cycle to work won't be so bad, spend more and it'll be easier - but is that what you want?

I was 232 lbs at 5.9 and at that weight I have walked several of the highest mountains in england and wales including a night backpacking with a 3 stone back pack so your weight really is not a barrier to exercise and you'll only get fitter with exercise. You can do more without the fat, look better and live longer, but it isn't an excuse to not keep up.

Back
Top Bottom