Weight loss - Weight bench or exercise bike?

Soldato
Fortunately I'm a fan of breakfast cereals, I really don't think they're a healthy breakfast.

I'd go with porridge, those little pots are healthy enough (and easy), also dishing out your own bowls can easily see you having double the calories you think unless you're measuring / weighing first thing in the morning.

Mine is 200kcal for breakfast (oats), 500 kcal for lunch (50/50 protein carb), 200 kcal mid-afternoon snack (mostly protein), 600 kcal dinner (60/40 protein carb).

Don't feel hungry on it which is unusual for me. I do my best to steer clear of refined sugar in most meals (the porridge being the exception).

Soldato
I have to eat something before I go to bed otherwise I'll wake up in the night with gnawing hunger. I have actually read in to eating before bed and apparently it's fine. :confused:
You seem to be missing the point of the wording

LIFESTYLE CHANGE

Deal with it, roll over and get back to sleep. You're not going to die of hunger by morning.

Soldato
OP
Well what'd be a good thing to eat instead before bed then? I really do have to have something because it gets so bad I won't be able to get back asleep with the gnawing hunger.

Man of Honour
Porridge is better, but you really want some protein and fat in there too.

Eggs (at least 3) on good toast, bacon, sausages... I'd aim for at least 30g of protein and a whatever fat comes with that, provided your eating things like I mentioned (not necessarily all at the same time) you should feel satiated for longer.

Soldato
Thanks for the help so far guys. So why is cereal before bed such a bad idea anyway?

Well, it may be internet rubbish but it seems reasonable that if your body is burning sugar (which cornflakes might as well be) your body won't be burning stored fat. You're giving your body's glycogen store a nice fill up to get it through the night.

Considering how easy it is to be hungry at night and not feel it compared to the day this seems like a waste. I've also never woken up with hunger but often have with thirst hence I'd suggest a pint of water before bed.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, I need to work on the cereal before bed it seems... Just would have to be in my position to realise how horrible it is to wake up with that gnawing hunger feeling and everytime I've had it I really haven't been able to get back to sleep until I've ate. Makes me feel awful.

Soldato
Force your body into a better routine, don't give in to it's demands.
Sure you might have one or two nights led there going ARRGGG NEED CAKE
But it will subside.

Get your mind off the cake when you wake up, read the forum or switch over to youjizz and knock yourself out!!
Plenty of ways to get back to sleep. ;)

Soldato
Breakfast - Fruit n Fibre
How much - do you weigh this so you know how many calories? A smaller bowl of this and a poached egg on a slice of toast would be better.
Lunch - Prawn salad
again how much and what is in the salad? You should be able to work out reasonably accurately how many g of protein carb and fat you are eating
Dinner - Smoked Haddoc fillet with spinach.
Just that? A couple of potatoes wouldn't kill you - they'd be better than snacking on cornflakes later. Again though, how many calories, what weight of protein fat and carb - you should at least have some idea.
Bowl of cornflakes before bed.
I also had a 70 calorie cereal bar in there somewhere.
This is sugar, don't snack on sugar (except maybe just after a workout, but I wouldn't have much idea - try the gym rats thread :)).

Soldato
OP
The fruit n fibre I don't weight. I have about 3/4 of a small bowl though. I wouldn't say it was much.

Prawn salad would usually be a couple of lettuce leaves, a whole tomato
, half a pack of prawns (75 cals) and 4-5 pieces of cucumber.

I don't have anything else with the smoked haddoc and spinach.

I do eat fruit when I get hungry, mainly bananas and apples. Probably have 1 of each a day.

Soldato
All I can say, is that must be one hell of a big haddock :)

I'd suggest getting some small electronic kitchen scales and taking a moment to weigh some stuff - then either look on the packet or the internet to see what calories (and carb/protein/fat if you can) is in that portion.

From what you've said I'm not sure you're eating enough and you're snacking on fruit and cereals to keep yourself going, these are both quite high gi carbs with a lot of sugar which may be fuelling your workouts but is also hurting your fat loss. You wouldn't need them if your meals had enough substance to them.

Man of Honour
The fruit n fibre I don't weight. I have about 3/4 of a small bowl though. I wouldn't say it was much.

Prawn salad would usually be a couple of lettuce leaves, a whole tomato
, half a pack of prawns (75 cals) and 4-5 pieces of cucumber.

I don't have anything else with the smoked haddoc and spinach.

I do eat fruit when I get hungry, mainly bananas and apples. Probably have 1 of each a day.
It's no wonder you are getting hungry, you aren't eating anything! I doubt this is anywhere near 1800kcals a day, although it sounds like you are snacking a lot throughout the day.

Sort your breakfast out, have an actual lunch (less than 150kcals is just silly), and have a more substantial dinner. Again, you aren't eating enough fat.

Soldato
OP
The haddoc is 100cals per fillet. Only small. The reason I purposely eat small meals is so I can have enough room in there for snacks and the bowl of cereal before I go to bed. (Because as I say I do get really hungry)

But I will certainly take on board that I need to eat bigger meals and snack less.

Some simple meal ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Man of Honour
There is no benefit at all to keeping meals small to allow you to snack.

Can you count up your daily calories for us? I don't think it's even going to top 1000.

Soldato
Some simple meal ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I don't pretend this is a good diet, but I don't do well at making time to prepare stuff.

Breakfast: One pot of porridge, store bought, about 200kcal. Use fruit and fibre if you like it but measure your portion so you know you're getting 200kcal or more.

Lunch: 40g (dry weight) wholewheat pasta, half a tin (about 110g drained weight) mixed beans, one tuna tin, 2tblsp dressing. About 500kcal

3pm Snack: 1 tin mackerel, about 250 kcal

Dinner: Something 600 kcal with less carbs than protein. A 300kcal hamburger on a bap (150kcal) with mustard and chilli relish should come to around 500 kcal give or take, I take the other 100 as a 0% beer :p.

Or treat yourself with a curry but forego the rice for a wholemeal pitta. Some curries have more carbs than others so don't be afraid to check labels, you don't want to go protein mad but balance is good.

If you get used to thinking along the lines of what has protein, what has fast carbs, what has slow carbs and what portion size you want for the calories you need then in time you'll be able to eat pretty much anything you want.

Back
Top Bottom