Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Got my KBDIY caps, KOA profile and with the Akko Fairy switches it's even more like typing on marshmallows (in a good way) couple of issues as £#@ are all wrong but overall I'm broadly happy, especially for £15. Just wish they came with 'proper' layout.

Last edited:
...interested in new Keyboard... custom... Fast but nearly silent keys... want recommendations

The custom keyboard world is about as unique in it's custom options as any hobby gets. You'd like silent keys but you can also choose a few subset options within that; tactile bumps, spring weight, pre-lubricated, mixtures of several switch types on the same keyboard (i.e. linear WASD, loud clicky ESC key). The options are incredible but it can get expensive.

Switches:
Most keyboards will only offer a limited option of switch types to ship with the keyboard, so on your first endeavour you'd most likely choose one of those. So I'd say pick a keyboard that allows hot-swap of switches, this lets you try out different switch types in future with a lot of ease. Fastest switches are light weight linear, Cherry MX Red instead of a Cherry Black but if you're willing to go and buy your own switches the Gateron Oil Kings might be right up your alley.

Keyboard Layout:
UK keyboard layout (that big fat enter key) unfortunately causes your keycap options to become extremely limited. The US market is a lot more plentiful, so if you can handle a smaller enter key and swapping the " and @ keys then I'd highly recommend giving a US layout keyboard a shot for opening up your options for keycap designs.

Keyboards:
I'd suggest the Glorious keyboards like GMMK Pro (they have options in both UK and US layouts), which are in stock and not ludicrously expensive. Drop keyboards like CTRL are also a great option.

Making everything near silent is pretty tricky and the more you want to reduce sound, generally, the higher you're going to pay for things like gaskets and lubed stabilizers. O-rings are a nice fix but for me they worked for a few years then started crumbling off and felt way too spongey and difficult to find the right thickness, not knocking it because it really is a good solution to try out first and quite cheap.

This is my favourite feeling build from a few years back:
- Keeb = Glorious GMMK Pro v2
- Switches = Zealio 67g / Sprinkles of Cherry MX Black
- Keycaps = GMK Hyperfuse v2 / GMK Dolch

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
The custom keyboard world is about as unique in it's custom options as any hobby gets. You'd like silent keys but you can also choose a few subset options within that; tactile bumps, spring weight, pre-lubricated, mixtures of several switch types on the same keyboard (i.e. linear WASD, loud clicky ESC key). The options are incredible but it can get expensive.

Switches:
Most keyboards will only offer a limited option of switch types to ship with the keyboard, so on your first endeavour you'd most likely choose one of those. So I'd say pick a keyboard that allows hot-swap of switches, this lets you try out different switch types in future with a lot of ease. Fastest switches are light weight linear, Cherry MX Red instead of a Cherry Black but if you're willing to go and buy your own switches the Gateron Oil Kings might be right up your alley.

Keyboard Layout:
UK keyboard layout (that big fat enter key) unfortunately causes your keycap options to become extremely limited. The US market is a lot more plentiful, so if you can handle a smaller enter key and swapping the " and @ keys then I'd highly recommend giving a US layout keyboard a shot for opening up your options for keycap designs.

Keyboards:
I'd suggest the Glorious keyboards like GMMK Pro (they have options in both UK and US layouts), which are in stock and not ludicrously expensive. Drop keyboards like CTRL are also a great option.

Making everything near silent is pretty tricky and the more you want to reduce sound, generally, the higher you're going to pay for things like gaskets and lubed stabilizers. O-rings are a nice fix but for me they worked for a few years then started crumbling off and felt way too spongey and difficult to find the right thickness, not knocking it because it really is a good solution to try out first and quite cheap.

This is my favourite feeling build from a few years back:
- Keeb = Glorious GMMK Pro v2
- Switches = Zealio 67g / Sprinkles of Cherry MX Black
- Keycaps = GMK Hyperfuse v2 / GMK Dolch
Thanks for that its really helped and gave me a good insight in to what i need

thanks again

I ended up getting the DROP CSTM65, with interchangeable black and blue cases. It's got Gateron yellow switches, and for now I've left the existing keycaps on.

The yellows have that little bit more resistance compared to my old Cherry MX silvers which required hardly any pressure at all, and have gone from accidental keystrokes with the silvers to not pushing down hard enough for the yellows! The sound is totally different as well. The silvers were a lot more clacky, whereas the yellows complete with gaskets have got a much more muted thocky sort of noise. A LOT quieter than my Ducky One2SF.

PS. You buy white, you deal with yellowing. You buy black, the eternal dust struggle is real :D

veChhdw.jpeg

MrKLluJ.jpeg

YDwlmag.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all, I recently built my first custom (Monsgeek M1 v2 ISO) which I absolutely love! I'm still using my ancient Qpad MK85 for work, which is fine, but it's a little noisy (and very crusty) and I feel compelled to avoid typing or mute myself on calls...

I'm tempted to build a new KB for work, but don't wanna spend ridiculous money... is there anything in the cheaper realm around that is full size (100% or possibly compacted like a 96/98)... it will absolutely need to have a numpad and ISO (UK) layout, and I'd maybe change the switches for fairys or something.

Or as a cheaper option, could I make some gains by modding the MK85 (O-rings, stuffing some foam in it, differnt keycaps etc)?

Morning all, this looks like a good a place as any, are there any places that sell replacement WDSA keys textured perhaps for a Logitech G915 LIGHTSPEED TKL Tenkeyless Wireless Mechanical? Or is it just the luck of the draw on the bay! Thanks

Any suggestions on the best way to clean a custom board without taking all the keys off? Its not griming as not used a lot but rather abit dusty, guessing a paintbrush and vacuum?

Any suggestions on the best way to clean a custom board without taking all the keys off? Its not griming as not used a lot but rather abit dusty, guessing a paintbrush and vacuum?
You probably won't be able to get all of the dust and hair out without taking the keys off, maybe use a can of compressed air vs. a vacuum? Might be a bit easier that way.

Google "Slime Cleaning Goo"

Thanks i have some coming today.
You probably won't be able to get all of the dust and hair out without taking the keys off, maybe use a can of compressed air vs. a vacuum? Might be a bit easier that way.
Yea guess so, will see how i get on with this goo stuff and if not happy bite the bullet and remove the keys.

Back
Top Bottom