US: Westworld

Man of Honour
Most of the cues in the show suggested that WW is within some very, very remote artificial environment or even not on Earth. It is remote enough for video calls to be arranged by scheduled uplinks, place is "difficult to reach" and "it is hard to get an open line here" (Bernard and his "wife" in ep 3) and it isn't strange to anyone. Is it remote enough for data theft to be arranged via satellite relays or by physically moving it inside the body of a host, as if datacenter of this size had no reliable internet connection to the rest of the world. It is remote enough for the staff to only occasionally "rotate home" (Sizemore talk with Theresa in ep 1) and we can see just how super fast those trains run every time Ford walked to the lift. And so on.

I like the way they never directly introduce the viewer to the world outside - but drop so much information about it throughout i.e. like the turn of phrase comparing something to an orbital launch platform or whatever it was and the images used to test hosts and so on.

First TV show or movie I've seen since the Matrix that really does it properly where until the reveal of the 2nd layer the information hinting at a 3rd layer which is there from the earliest moments is insignificant to the viewer (unless you are far cleverer than me) and a fair few scattered allusions to the world outside not being all it seems to be either.

I was wondering, if Ford had Bernard kill Elsie, as we think he did, why?
Was that not the data upload with information being stolen, after being established by Theresa?
Or was that simply how Ford made it look, and if so, where was Ford sending the information?

She wasn't killed due to the data uploads - she was only killed when she revealed that there was someone else other than Theresa repurposing sidelined systems for their own purpose which could have exposed Ford early.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Must have been quite a risky show to make as there are a fair few things that don't appear to make sense, poor writing or unfinished story lines that actually make sense in the concept of the limitations of AI programming, etc. I've seen a fair few people doing the show down because they've not caught onto why some things are done.

For instance when Barnard has another host hold a gun on Ford where Barnard has removed its base protocols and slaved it only to his commands - but being a host himself is blind to the fact that Ford ultimately controls Barnard which by extension means he controls the other host but initially appears like an oversight in the writing.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
She wasn't killed due to the data uploads - she was only killed when she revealed that there was someone else other than Theresa repurposing sidelined systems for their own purpose which could have exposed Ford early.

I've gone back to the footage and you are right. It happened, on screen. But because it's said in episode 6, before we have enough info to put it in context the viewer is unlikely to piece it together.

Elsie: So, Theresa was using the old bicameral system to reprogram Woodcutter, but she's not the only one. Someone else has been using the system for weeks to re-task hosts. Several of them. Had to be older models. The newer ones don't have receivers, but these modifications, they are serious. Changing loops, breaking loops. Some of these changes are to their prime directives, Bernard. They could lie to us. Maybe even hurt us or the guests. The best I can tell... it's Arnold. He's ****ing prolific coder for a dead guy. Whatever argument he had with Ford it doesn't look like he's done making his point.

It needs to be double watched.

Man of Honour
Helps I watched it all over a couple of days or so - really not a series that works well if you watch an episode weekly as there are just too many threads to keep tabs on.

Maybe because I was in the mood for it but last episode aside which was just good the rest I thought was excellent definitely up there in my top 5 TV shows.

Man of Honour
It's already renewed.

I'm kind of worried that they will just go down the route of using the Samurai or Shogun world or whatever it is with a rehash of a similar story :( I want to see it scaled up a bit now there is a lot of potential for wider story lines and exploring more of the issues inherent to this kind of simulation.

Caporegime
IMO that was the perfect ending to a very good series. When they cash in on a second series they better make it wholely independent. Samurai world would be an awful copout.

I think a 2nd series would be like a true detective flop

Man of Honour
Wow a trailer that shows just enough to get you interested and doesn't just show you the entire next season abridged in 3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom