US: Westworld

Soldato
As a fan of the original film I was prepared to give a series a go.
Not convinced about episode 1 but will give it time, as many great series have started with an average pilot episode.

Soldato
total "meh".
some of the effects were good, the PIB was great, the rest....meh. That whoe Ed Harris thing immediately feels like the Abrahmsism i was hoping wouldn't be in this, i don't even want to get into why soeone would tattoo the inside of a scalp, what teh maze means or even how Ed knew, or why it took years for him to do something about it ~ already feels like the element that's going to drag the series into implausibility and dragged-outness.

Soldato
total "meh".
some of the effects were good, the PIB was great, the rest....meh. That whoe Ed Harris thing immediately feels like the Abrahmsism i was hoping wouldn't be in this, i don't even want to get into why soeone would tattoo the inside of a scalp, what teh maze means or even how Ed knew, or why it took years for him to do something about it ~ already feels like the element that's going to drag the series into implausibility and dragged-outness.

That wasn't a tattoo, it was some kind of what looked like embedded circuitry etc.. Its not implied that he knew, its implied he dismantled that "person" to find what he was looking for.

Soldato
I really, really hope that they have mapped out a plot arc for this series from beginning to end. Because I really enjoyed this pilot episode it hinted towards some quite profound and maybe long emerging story arcs, but if it's all show and no substance I will be well miffed.

Soldato
Like others, the groundhog/single-day-repeat is confusing since the guests holiday will just be one day segments ?

Did not really see where the $25M was spent, the West scenes / bar were good, but they must re-use sets with films like Magnificent 7
Hopefully not spend on the CGI, the horse and human creation scenes did not add much to the plot.

The interrogation of the robots about their level of consciousness seemed a steal from BladeRunner, and gratuituous to have them nude during interrogation scenes - vs clinical white gowns (par for course I guess)

The Faulty software release seemed strangely analogous to the Microsoft WIndows 10 Anniversary Update. :rolleyes:

Soldato
2nd ep was good. My only worry as mentioned above is whether the show will be a nice tight storyline or they will just go for as long as they can making it up as they go. This makes or breaks most shows nowadays I find. I have quite a few shows that I really liked the first and sometimes second season but it goes bad.

Heres hoping. I think Lost did posititively affect TV in general in this regard though as knowone wants that kind of negativity :p

Back
Top Bottom