Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
So I've built mine now.

IMG_20170428_154018.jpg

I've got a 1600 @ 4.05Ghz using 1.30v. Very pleased with that.

Only issue is the memory. 16GB Trident Z RGB 3200 will only post at 2400 max. I'm hoping that @AsrockMB get this sorted soon as it seems to be working ok on their other boards from what I've heard.

Where did you get those decals from on your computer case window ? and what size are they ?

Associate
I've bought the Crosshair Hero 6 but i'm inclined to send it back because Computex is in a month and i understand Asus are planning on releasing more Am4 boards. Computex would be the ideal time to do this.

Associate
go for giga - asus has 2 fan headers only, crap!

The bios is not as good as asus but then i do not spend my life in a bios!

and from guru 3d -

The conclusion
At 219 USD the Ryzen 5 1600 is simply put terrific value. Heck pair it with a 125 USD B350 motherboard, pop on a nice graphics card and tweak it close to 4 GHz, you'll get a smile on your face as to how well a setup like that works. For that kind of money this setup offers nice gaming perf and excellent application threaded performance as Ryzen offers killer single- and multi-threaded performance. And if you are not into tweaking, heck the 1600X model might be worth the few tenners more for you. The eco-system is fast in matters of storage like M.2, SATA and/or USB 3.1. The step upwards to a six-core Ryzen 5 1600 is a proper one for the folks that actually need and waited for a well deserved upgrade, the guys that have been waiting for a price/perf competitive 6-core processor series and the intent to give AMD some well-deserved support after a couple of gruesome years. The more I test quad-core processors the less excited I am getting about them. A move to six and eight-core processors to me feels like the right thing to do as I do feel my overall desktop experience is much snappier and faster compared to any brand quad-core CPU, really go ask some users in our forums as it really feels and seems faster. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that Ryzen is a platform in development. Your motherboard will need a few firmware updates in the future, the memory support sometimes can be daunting and icky. But progress has been made in large steps over the last few weeks and slowly but steadily things are maturing properly. Our recommendation sticks, Ryzen processors like fast frequency memory. You start with a 2667 MHz kit but really, we recommend 2933 MHz or 3200 MHz CL16 if you want the last few FPS out of your gaming experience. Motherboards wise the performance will be the same from a 99 USD B350 towards the most expensive 350 USD X370 motherboard, you define the budget and needs in features. Please base your memory purchase choices on what the motherboard manufacturer advises (check their QVL list). Your sweet spot memory might be 2933 MHz with two DIMMs hence for all processor reviews we are moving to that number where possible. in closing, I think that we might have hit true equilibrium with the Ryzen 5 1600. Tweak it a bit and the proc is offering great value for money relative to performance. For 219 USD you can have a high-end processor experience on a very affordable platform. I cannot iterate it enough, this proc is oozing value and performance, and as such comes recommended, even highly recommended. Hence I am issuing both awards to the Ryzen 5 1600.

Associate
I have fond memories of older AMD systems I built using Asrock boards starting with the K6 chip so in the end I decided on the Asrock X370 Killer.

Stupidly, I had to order from another country to get the RAM and some other bits I wanted as it wasn't available anywhere in the UK but luckily, even with £20 carriage it was still cheaper compared to the current UK prices.

Paid £143 for the board and £281 for the 1700, also got a good deal on 2x 16gb G.Skill 3200mhz CL14 at only £329!

It's coming from Germany, so it should be arriving on Thursday this week.

Associate
that's a good deal - i myself though like to deal on home turf, just sceptic on rma's etc. another cost maybe if it goes **** up or a time consuming agenda. and 'older AMD systems I built using Asrock boards starting with the K6 chip ' yes had them builds :D

Associate
that's a good deal - i myself though like to deal on home turf, just sceptic on rma's etc. another cost maybe if it goes **** up or a time consuming agenda. and 'older AMD systems I built using Asrock boards starting with the K6 chip ' yes had them builds :D
Yes, am slightly worried about that myself but needs must etc. and will have to deal with it if it happens...

From what I remeber, back in the days of K6 and athlon builds, Asrock almost seemed like the staple safe bet. Foxconn, was another good option but seem to have disappeared from this market now, concentrating on building Nokia and Apple products from what I've read!

Associate
do we have any news on a ITX AM4?
alternatively, which one is the best mATX?

Biostar brought out 2 boards that sold out pretty much the same day. AMD have confirmed that the board partners can do whatever they want with the chipset so its the board partners that are holding back on these.

Soldato
Iif you take the major brands meaning quality There's a few, I certainly don't have 14 fingers on one hand :p

Thats just on OCUK site, know clue as to any others that might be about .

Associate
i chose giga over asus as they never let me down and rma is better over asus.

if you live in America then choose asus, its on your doorstep, simple really!

Msi - still good, but quality control is pants

Caporegime
Currently the Biostar X370GTN, due to the fact it's the only ITX board available, but ASRock and Gigabyte are releasing ITX boards in the next few weeks. I'm personally waiting for the ASRock board but will wait for reviews first.

Back
Top Bottom