What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Soldato
Just now finished Like a Dragon: Ishin, and deciding if I want to mop up any side content before moving on.

I found myself really immersed in the world somehow even though it's not terribly detailed compared to some more modern games. I don't think I've played any first- or third-person games in this late Edo period before, and I wasn't sure I would like it at first after coming from the modern day Japanese settings of the Yakuza 0-6. Like most RGG games, though, it has real heart and I got pulled into the stories of each of the characters and the setting they lived in.

The combat has felt a bit button-mashy, but that's probably becuase I've been over-levelling the Wild Dancer style and not bothering to remember all the different movesets for the other styles.

Too many combos, man!

Like, stance, dodge forward and attack does... something in sword style, but not the other styles; dodge forward and attack without stance does something (different) in gun style; two different timings for running and strong attack do different things in dancer style; the parries for the different styles all have different button combinations... too much for my aging muscle memory to grasp, but I managed to do very well with level 40 wild dancer and the top tier fire sword. It made combat a bit too easy, really, so I kind of wish I'd put more time into learning the styles and less into grinding smithing gear and dancer levels.

Still, it's been a very enjoyable game and a nice change from the other RGG games I've been binging on recently.

Associate
I just finished re4 remake. I'm now thinking about trying to get into rdr2 again.
Otherwise, art of rally on the side every now and then, which is pretty fun. I was really into the previous game, Absolute Drift, back when it came out. Great art, music, and gameplay. One of those which feels incredibly difficult at first and when it clicks you can't put it down.

Last edited:
Associate
I just finished re4 remake. I'm now thinking about trying to get into rdr2 again.
Otherwise, art of rally on the side every now and then, which is pretty fun. I was really into the previous game, Absolute Drift, back when it came out. Great art, music, and gameplay. One of those which feels incredibly difficult at first and when it clicks you can't put it down.
I can play resi 4 remake on professional from scratch. I get killed a fair bit but got pretty good at it. Still think the castle area was lacking the originals awesomeness but still it's dam a dam good remake.

Associate
I can play resi 4 remake on professional from scratch. I get killed a fair bit but got pretty good at it. Still think the castle area was lacking the originals awesomeness but still it's dam a dam good remake.
I didn't play the original. It's not a bad game, but not amazing either.
I know I played the older games when I was much younger and that colours my opinion, but it doesn't feel as much of a horror / survival game.
Ammo was never an issue because as soon as you're low the game spawns endless amounts of it.
Also not much point to anything but the default handgun which was a cracker when upgraded. I think just one enemy type felt like it needed a different weapon just for the bio scope.
Last boss was a complete joke too, but I think that was because I used the rocket launcher from the merchant on it.
Played on hardcore and not going to play it again.

Associate
I didn't play the original. It's not a bad game, but not amazing either.
I know I played the older games when I was much younger and that colours my opinion, but it doesn't feel as much of a horror / survival game.
Ammo was never an issue because as soon as you're low the game spawns endless amounts of it.
Also not much point to anything but the default handgun which was a cracker when upgraded. I think just one enemy type felt like it needed a different weapon just for the bio scope.
Last boss was a complete joke too, but I think that was because I used the rocket launcher from the merchant on it.
Played on hardcore and not going to play it again.
Try professional from scratch it's really good. Your scrounging ammo for real in some sections. One time I ran a quarter of the castle wall area with 3 hand gun bullets. Don't even remember how I got through it.
I use launcher on end boss, alien boss in ice barrels area, and my last run I somehow had enough cash to shove a rocket up krausers butt and blow him to kingdom come.
I think default pistol gives more kick power.

Soldato
Call of Juarez Gunslinger - better than expected, completed this in just one day as the game is not that long. Interesting story telling and simple and fun gameplay.

Associate
Try professional from scratch it's really good. Your scrounging ammo for real in some sections. One time I ran a quarter of the castle wall area with 3 hand gun bullets. Don't even remember how I got through it.
I use launcher on end boss, alien boss in ice barrels area, and my last run I somehow had enough cash to shove a rocket up krausers butt and blow him to kingdom come.
I think default pistol gives more kick power.
Other games to play unfortunately! Shame that it sounds like the difficulty I should have played on was locked... Why do games do this?

Associate
Other games to play unfortunately! Shame that it sounds like the difficulty I should have played on was locked... Why do games do this?
To be fair mate i was pro at orignal RE4 on gamecube - going straight into professional on remake would have made it a tiring slog as you got used to it.
There is mods that make remake even harder!

Associate
To be fair mate i was pro at orignal RE4 on gamecube - going straight into professional on remake would have made it a tiring slog as you got used to it.
There is mods that make remake even harder!
:D That's valid. It's not as slow as the previous games and feels more of a shooter. It may well have been tiring to be running out of ammo.
I'm not much for replaying games anyway.
RE has never been that kind of game for me!

Associate
Helldivers 2 at the moment, my brother and two friends. All of us are not far off 40!

Is it player v player or Players vs AI bugs?
My buddys kid is goign nuts over this - hes been hinting at needing a new rig for it so of course I should buy the game simply for showcase purposes. lol

Soldato
not long started Horizon forbidden West.... but im not enjoying how poorly the game seems to run.

I'm playing on a 7800X3D, 32GB DDR5, 3070Ti build, and yet even with DLSS enabled cutscenes drop to 20fps and it gets occasional lag spikes down to the 20s or 30s. Been fiddling loads with settings, been reluctant to drop the rest from native 1440p but i think i might have to try 1080p at this rate to enjoy it. Soon as dust clouds kick up, or in crowded areas like plainsong etc the frame rate tanks.

Associate
Is it player v player or Players vs AI bugs?
My buddys kid is goign nuts over this - hes been hinting at needing a new rig for it so of course I should buy the game simply for showcase purposes. lol

Your a team of 4 that get dropped onto planets with huge amounts of either bots or bugs, with varying sizes and types. And you have missions to complete as well as side objectives.
I just upgraded my rig for it! Definitely recommend it, especially for the price. Got me back into gaming again.

Associate
Your a team of 4 that get dropped onto planets with huge amounts of either bots or bugs, with varying sizes and types. And you have missions to complete as well as side objectives.
I just upgraded my rig for it! Definitely recommend it, especially for the price. Got me back into gaming again.
£25 I found it for.
I think ill give it a whirl.

Associate
I'm about to wrap up dragons dogma 2, How is it possible to both enjoy a game, want to re-play it, and yet feel like I'm glad its almost finished with so I can go onto something else.

I'll probably either work on finishing marvel midnight suns, or carry on with Horizon Forbidden West next.

Associate
Having finished Dragon's Dogma 2, I've now moved on to Balatro ... please god, help me ... I can't stop playing it !
I made the mistake of buying this and started playing last night...oh no. I can see it being a massive time eater! I do tend to get sucked into roguelike games and this is definitely scratching that itch.

Back
Top Bottom