What Audiobooks are you listening to ?

Associate
Currently listening to this - https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Etymologicon-Audiobook/B007XIB8EO

61dNQGNSLYL._SL500_.jpg

Finding it nice and easy listening, funny and interesting.

Soldato
Currently listening to the We are Bob series, on book three now (All these worlds) I can be a little confusing to keep track of but the plot loops are good and the story compelling :)

Associate
Burned through Project Hail Mary, I really liked it, dude who done the narration really made the character and they way the story was told with the flashbacks kept it interesting.

Now onto the Martian, I am actually slightly disappointed its narrated by Wil Wheaton! really wanted the narrator from PHM

Associate
OP
Just finished "Never" by Ken Follett, I just couldn't get into this book. I loved his previous books "The Pillars of the earth" "The evening and the morning"

I just didn't care as much about the characters in this book.

Caporegime
I'm almost at the end of the last book seasons of storms. Really have enjoyed it and am wondering what I'll pick to listen to next.
I tried his new series but found it hard going.

Almost finished Expeditionary Force, thats kind of mindless fun with some good humour.

Started the Jack Reacher series, not amazed with the first book.

Soldato
The wisdom of crows -

Last in the The Age of Madness Trilogy, actually find myself leaving early for work just to continue listening to this. Can't get enough of it. Gonna miss it once it's finished.

Soldato
The Restless Republic - Britain Without a Crown by Anna Keay
https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/B09PG8Y98X?source_code=ASSORAP0511160007

Nearly finished it now, and really enjoyed it. Range of interesting stories from different people illustrating different aspects of things that happened in the 1650's. And unlike some history books of that type which leave you without enough information to work out what's going on unless you read all the wiki articles it did a good job of explaining the bigger picture too.

Wasn't a period I knew much about, so was really interesting to learn more. The narrator was good too imo, nice and clear.

Edit: also not that I'm currently listening to it, but now interested to hear what the new Terry Pratchett / Discworld audio books will be like:

I quite like the idea of Bill Nighy reading the footnotes, and the readings by Andy Serkis and Indira Varna in particular sound quite promising. I hope Colin Morgan doesn't over-act his books too much though...

At the same time I do think the existing audio books (Nigel Planer et al) are pretty good (with a lot of thought put into things like accents) and was a bit sad to hear them get blown off as if they didn't really exist. Remastering the (noisy and low quality) audio of the originals would have been good too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Man of Honour
At the same time I do think the existing audio books (Nigel Planer et al) are pretty good (with a lot of thought put into things like accents) and was a bit sad to hear them get blown off as if they didn't really exist. Remastering the (noisy and low quality) audio of the originals would have been good too.

The originals releases aren't bad if you've got them on CD. The lo-fi Audible releases (which are maybe 32kbps) are fine, but compared the CD releases, they're dreadful. I've ripped them all to M4B and use an audiobook player on android for them.

Soldato
The originals releases aren't bad if you've got them on CD. The lo-fi Audible releases (which are maybe 32kbps) are fine, but compared the CD releases, they're dreadful. I've ripped them all to M4B and use an audiobook player on android for them.
Shame audible haven't used a better quality source if it's available - only listened to them (about 5 so far probably) on Audible so hadn't realised the CDs have better quality. Might think about sourcing the CDs if I want to listen to any more.

Commissario
Started Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett about a week ago, listening to it whilst painting some models :)
I'm really enjoying the new narration by Indira Varma and co, and it's been long enough since I last read the books that a lot of it is almost new to me. It's got me really wanting them to get to the City Watch collection.

Back
Top Bottom