What book are you reading...

Soldato
Ive just started Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, really unsure so far, it 10% garbage and 90% Merica **** yeah. Ill see it out but I'm not holding out much hopefor enjoying it.

Associate
Free Wrench by Joseph Stallo.

Picked this up in an ebook Story Bundle - it's a steampunk story that's pretty enjoyable and has good world-building considering it's a slim book. Considering it was written in three months, it's not rough around the edges either.

Soldato
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

SO GOOD - anyone who has read The First Law trilogy, HAS to read this.

THE BLOODY NINE RETURNS and Nicomo Costca is side splittingly hilarious

Last edited:
Associate
Enjoy, wish I could read them afresh with no knowledge of what happens! ^^

Just started the Way of Kings on my kindle but the pictures on it are not very clear, are they better in the paperback? I've ordered one regardless :)

Also reading the Adrian Mole books just finished the first one, bloody hilarious even though some of the references are a little before my time. Loved the school trip to the museum.

Soldato
I know we've got a few people here who've read the Malazan series here - is it just me or is Dust of Dreams depressingly dark?

I know its always been a dark series, but this one I'm actually struggling to read.

Onos T'oolan has just committed suicide to save a group of 100 that wanted to overthrow him just a day earlier. His body has been hacked to pieces, every bone broken, skull crushed... completely defiled.

His wife has been hobbled, and raped by half her tribe.

And now there is somebody on the way to find his 3 children, with plans to stab his newborn in the chest and then smash his face in with a rock so people don't have to look at the babys last pained grimace. He is then going to break the legs of Onos T'oolans two daughters and rape them.

I know Erikson has a background in anthropology and I imagine stuff like this used to happen every day... but damn this is a bit bleak to read.

I read a couple of chapters and then I need to put it down... Can't handle too much of that at one time.

Soldato
It is a ******* of a book and bleakly realistic of how disgustingly brutal people can be when they think they can get away with it and feel "justified" in what they are doing.

But keep reading, trust me, you won't regret. Just remember how Erikson treats these situations...

Man of Honour
The Three
I'm worryingly near the end and I hope there's a point/we find out.
It's good but frustrating. I like the style. Same style as world war Z a collection of interviews, excepts from news/books etc.
But please let us now what The Three are about.

Soldato
Just finished Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. The remarkable story of Louis Zamperini; Olympic athlete and then Japanese prisoner of war.
Finished this, and what a insightful book it was. What he and many of POW's went through whilst at the hands of the Japanese is just horrendous. His time after the war was not quite so interesting, but still a great book to read. Looking forward to the film that they've made about him, and I hope they don't tone back the violence and treatment experienced in the camps.

Now onto Black Butterfly: A Lucifer Box Novel by Mark Gatiss. Enjoyed the previous two books in this series, so hoping this one is good too.

Associate
Just finished Pete Brown's "Man Walks into a Pub - A sociable History of Beer"

Really enjoyed it. It's pretty much an easy reading history of beer and drinking in Britain. Some very interesting information about how WW1 affected brewing and licencing laws, that only recently have been changed back. Loads of great stuff in there.

Soldato
In a spirit of helping my fellow man, can I strongly urge you not to read "The Abominable" by Dan Simmons. I admit I was lured by the blurb which speaks of mountaineers being stalked on Everest by... something. I thought it'd be a fun, throw away story about Yetis or similar. Oh, how wrong I was! Half the book (no lie) is about mountain climbing techniques in the 1920s and is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo dull. When they get to the mountain it turns out not to be monsters but
Nazi's. Yes, that's correct, Nazis. Trying to stop people finding some images of Hitler being a gay pedo.

The plot is ludicrous (need to hide in Tibet? Minimal experience of mountain climbing and with a complete novice? Hide at the top of Mt Everest! :rolleyes:), the description of climbing terminology and practices are dull beyond words and the entertainment value is akin to watching paint dry.

This is the first book in 25 years that I can remember not finishing after starting. It's probably the worst book (and most deceptive blurb) I have ever come across.

Soldato
I read "The mote in gods eye" by Niven and Pournelle over the last week or so, which I'm sure I've read before but can't quite remember (I kept half remembering bits, and they're both authors whose work I've read a lot of in the past), it was a good read :)

I'm currently reading the second of the "motie" books "The gripping hand", which again is ringing a bell, but I can't place it :)
I suspect I may have read them 10-15 or so years ago which would explain the vague feeling of having read them before.

Just finished the first one (again) thanks for reminding me of it. Getting hold of the sequel seems to be a problem, unless I want the kindle version bleargh.

Currently reading 'The Right Hand of Doom & other Tales of Solomon Kane'
Up next 'The Haunter of The Ring & other Tales'. Both written by Robert E Howard, one of my all time favorite authors and creator of Conan the barbarian.

Associate
Picked up a copy of The Tooth Tattoo by Peter Lovesey, very enjoyable, easy read, so much so I've ordered the first & second in the Peter Diamond series.

Back
Top Bottom