What book are you reading...

Soldato
I finished Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell, it did actually get a little better but it was far to over the top patriotic for me to really enjoy, I'm no liberal but Luttrell's attitude (perhaps understandably) towards the rules of war and human rights in general are a bit skewed.

Continuing the military theme, I've just finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor about the invasion of Russia by Germany and the ultimate abandonment of, and destruction of the 6th Army. Its pretty harrowing account and a bit of an eye opener as to just how much of a **** both Hitler and Stalin actually were and how poor strategists they both were also.

Concurrently I Was reading Float! - Building on Water to Combat Urban Congestion and Climate Change by Koen Olthuis and David Keuning at the same time. Pretty good book if you're into that sort of thing.

Just about to start Caravaggio: A Life by Helen Langdon as I have become a little obsessed by him.

I have Pappilion by Henri Charriere and My Autobiography - Charles Chaplin waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finished Black Butterfly: A Lucifer Box Novel by Mark Gatiss. It was OK but not as good as the first 2. It was quite short, the action scenes particularly good, and the story just wasn't great. I really like his writing style though.

Now started Harlequin as it was on my Kindle and I thought it was the 2nd book in the Novel of Arthur: The Warlord Chronicles series. That means I now have 3 Bernard Cornwell series started: Sharpe, The Warlord Chronicles, and The Grail Quest. I best get reading!

Caporegime
American Gods by Gaiman, nearly finished it and still really not sure what to make of it.

I really enjoyed this!

After finishing that I finished off the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King and thoroughly enjoyed those.

Then wanting to carry on with Fantasy Fiction someone recommended me the Riftware Saga by Raymond E. Fiest. I'm on the third one, A Darkness at Sethanon, and they have been fantastic throughout. The first one 'Magician' takes a little while to get going and is a bit odd, but it's absolutely superb.

Looking forward to reading the rest of the books which tie in with the Riftwar :)

Soldato
Red Country by Joe Abercrombie

SO GOOD - anyone who has read The First Law trilogy, HAS to read this.

THE BLOODY NINE RETURNS and Nicomo Costca is side splittingly hilarious

Quick question:
Are both Logen and the Bloody Nine present or just the first?

Dune. Never read it before, but a friend of mine handed me his copy so seemed rude not to. Enjoying it so far :)

The best saga I've ever read. If you read all the books, don't bother with the ones written after Frank Herbert died, they're nowhere near as good.

Man of Honour
"Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie. It's won most of the SF awards of the last year, but I'm only a third of the way in so far. Before that was "The Waters Rising" by Sheri Tepper. Tepper used to be a great writer, but over the years her tendency to preach has overwhelmed her normally excellent story-telling skills. Now she's about as subtle as that bit at the end of a Star Trek episode where they explain the moral of the story for the slower viewers.

Soldato
The Best of H.P.Lovecraft, currently reading the Call of Cthulhu. I still think The Shadow Over Innsmouth, At The Mountains Of Madness and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward are fantastic stories. For the life of me I can't understand why there hasn't been a TV series of Lovecraft's main stories or more film adaptions.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finished moondust, great short book. Slightly different take than over Apollo mission books.
now on This Green Hell - Greig Beck (alex hunter series)

Associate
Just finished Brandon Sandersons Words of Radiance, very good read and loving the way it's developing.. Wondering wether to start the Mistborn series or try someone new for a few books ..

Associate
Finished the current Locke Lamora books. Running out of superlatives for how enjoyable they were. Scott Lynch is a genius. May read prince of fools by Mark Lawrence after I've finished 1984. Then again, I've been meaning to start the Game of Thrones books...

Soldato
Was going to have some nice new books to read on Saturday (had Best Served Cold and House of Chains on my 'to get' list), but that was cut short. Drove over to Preston from Burnley, duly paid £1.30 for an hours parking, walked to Waterstones, only to find someone had the ignomy to be stabbed and collapse outside the shop early that morning. Bit of a wasted trip, but what can you do eh? Realising that I had walked into a puddle of blood in the road was an experience.

Back
Top Bottom