What book are you reading...

Associate
My wife has just bought me all the Bernard Cromwell "Sharpe" books, love the TV series so am hoping for a more fulfilling story in the books.

Should last me a wee while, there are 21 odd books.

After them, read the Revolution trilogy by Simon Scarrow. It tells the story of Napolean and Wellington in a similar vein as the Sharpe books. There is even a nod to Sharpe in the third book but author denies it - due to copyright issues I suspect!

Soldato
Just finished Tobacco Stained Mountain Goat by Andrez Bergen.

Really great read, it's a combination of Noir crime, Dystopic future, journey of discovery and dark humour. Would recommend it to anyone, only "negative" is that it ends rather abruptly though I can sort of understand why.

Going to try and finish "Redbreast" by Jo Nesbo, first of his books I struggled with and put down for a while.

Soldato
Just hammered the Dark Elf trilogy.
Holy wow, how have I never heard of the Legend Of Drizzt series before stumbling across this prequel trilogy?!

Starting the Icewind Dale trilogy today.

Soldato
Found Half a King, the latest Joe Abercrombie book- pretty disappointing - was strangely short, lacked depth, characters were nowhere near as strong as his other books. By far his worst offering to date - skip it.

Man of Honour
Found Half a King, the latest Joe Abercrombie book- pretty disappointing - was strangely short, lacked depth, characters were nowhere near as strong as his other books. By far his worst offering to date - skip it.

You know the book is intended for teenagers, right? The marketing has tended to be a bit coy on that subject. Books are not necessarily bad because they are written for teens (The Earthsea books and half of Robert Heinlein's books are for teens) but it does mean that the style is going to be different.

Associate
Finished The Algebraist by Iain M Banks.

Once I got over the 'Oh no its not a Culture story' I thought the alien gas planet world building was a pretty decent offering.

Soldato
You know the book is intended for teenagers, right? The marketing has tended to be a bit coy on that subject. Books are not necessarily bad because they are written for teens (The Earthsea books and half of Robert Heinlein's books are for teens) but it does mean that the style is going to be different.

I didn't actually know that but I certainly got the feeling from reading it, there just wasn't the same depth there.

For me this lack of depth takes away everything that makes Abercrombie's books so captivating.

Soldato
Have loved all his other books with a passion.

Should I not bother with this one at all??

Personally I don't think its even comes close to being on par with anything else he has done.

For me Abercrombie has never been a particularly great storyteller, what has always had me hooked is the way he develops his characters. Look at Inquisitor Glokta as an example - an evil, scheming, vile person... but then you find out what happened to him, how he became to be that way, he shows you that he is not all bad. Logen Ninefingers was another fantastic character, most of the time he is an amiable chap, you figure that he has been dealt a bad hand in life - and then we find out about his other side and why so many people hate him.

There is perhaps one character in the whole book that has about half of that kind of depth, everything else just feels so shallow.

Its a short book, you can go cover to cover in half a day if you wanted to. If you're lacking for things to read there is no reason to skip it, if you have other things you want to read though, I'd do those first.

Associate
Personally I don't think its even comes close to being on par with anything else he has done.

For me Abercrombie has never been a particularly great storyteller, what has always had me hooked is the way he develops his characters. Look at Inquisitor Glokta as an example - an evil, scheming, vile person... but then you find out what happened to him, how he became to be that way, he shows you that he is not all bad. Logen Ninefingers was another fantastic character, most of the time he is an amiable chap, you figure that he has been dealt a bad hand in life - and then we find out about his other side and why so many people hate him.

There is perhaps one character in the whole book that has about half of that kind of depth, everything else just feels so shallow.

Its a short book, you can go cover to cover in half a day if you wanted to. If you're lacking for things to read there is no reason to skip it, if you have other things you want to read though, I'd do those first.

Cheers for that ;)

Associate
Just finished The Wheel of Time series.

Not a bad ending, although the entire story is far too long. Could have cut loads out and made it a much tighter story.

Associate
Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson... My God...What. A. Book.

Simply a breathtaking story, in a breathtaking world, with breathtaking characters with breathtaking lives.

Never have I been so engrossed by a book. I could not put it down. I completely lost myself within the world and the lives of the characters.

If your idea of a good book is one with lots of action and quick plot turns keeping you on the edge of your seat, this is probably not for you. On the other hand however, if your idea of a book is one where it slowly and delicately builds up the story, giving you a vision of the world, making you care deeply for the characters as if you had known them all your lives, as if you were present - hovering over the characters as the story played out, if you like to laugh, say "wtf" and "omg" to yourself or slap yourself on the forehead a few times while reading a book then this is your type of book. It also has some very philosophical and moral undertones to the story that will not only make you question the characters, but question yourself too.

The book is meant as a primer, a foundation to the massive, epic of a story that lies ahead by Mr. Sanderson.

All-in-all this book is something special, and is undoubtedly worth your time.

Man of Honour
Got through Swan Song - Robert McCammon
Facing down an unprecedented malevolent enemy, the government responds with a nuclear attack. America as it was is gone forever, and now every citizen - from the President of the United States to the homeless on the streets of New York City - will fight for survival. In a wasteland born of rage and fear, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, earth's last survivors have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil, that will decide the fate of humanity.

Good albeit rather predictable after the first dozen chapters (long long book)
7/10

Now on The Cosmic Cocktail: Three Parts Dark Matter
Not only is it really interesting and upto date, results about Higgs boson are in there. I like her little tangents about getting drunk and other things after conferences etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom