What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just finished Redbreast by Jo Nesbo. Heard it's his best but I really struggled to get going with it. Was an interesting finish but didn't really do it for me.

Reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, had it on my to-read list for ages so hoping it lives up to my expectations.

Soldato
Just finished Redbreast by Jo Nesbo. Heard it's his best but I really struggled to get going with it. Was an interesting finish but didn't really do it for me.

I'm reading this at the moment.
I've read the Snowman, The Batman and Cockroaches and have thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I'm struggling with this one though, I'm around half way through but just can't get into it.
I usually read an entire book in a week but this one has been even longer. I get really bored with the WW2 sections

Soldato
I'm reading this at the moment.
I've read the Snowman, The Batman and Cockroaches and have thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I'm struggling with this one though, I'm around half way through but just can't get into it.
I usually read an entire book in a week but this one has been even longer. I get really bored with the WW2 sections

Glad it's not just me, but surprised that this was the book that got him recognised globally. I struggled through and it's worth doing in the end for the relatively interesting, if a tad predictable, twist at the end. It was the WW2 parts which chucked me too as they jumped about so much in time, place and different characters that I lost the track and the will of things, though it does bear fruit eventually.

As with you I read the Australian and Thai books and they were hugely engaging reads of a different class to Redbreast.

Associate
Just finishing Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Disappointingly, I haven't found the book particularly engaging. However, I wouldn't describe it as bad , and it is a fairly brisk read compared to the "tomes" I'm accustomed to. To be fair, the book is marketed as a YA novel, so perhaps it's my fault for expecting more. I've found the plot to be rather predictable, plus the characterisation isn't up to Joe's usual standards.

What to read next ? I think I may dip into some Sci-fi : Red Rising, The Martian or Ancillary Justice perhaps ...

Soldato
It is a young adult book and not his normal style, don't expect anything like the Law series in those books. I'm skipping them personally, I enjoy the style of the Law series and that wouldn't work in a YA book.

Soldato
Half way through The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett. It's really good, though I prefer the origin stories in the first book (The Painted Man) more.

Enjoyable series, recommend it :)

Associate
It is a young adult book and not his normal style, don't expect anything like the Law series in those books. I'm skipping them personally, I enjoy the style of the Law series and that wouldn't work in a YA book.

That's a shame.

Half way through The Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett. It's really good, though I prefer the origin stories in the first book (The Painted Man) more.

Enjoyable series, recommend it :)

Some series. Love it! I really enjoyed the perspective from the other side.

Associate
Erm what? Pretty much all books have some sort of multiple POV going on, care to be a little more specific in what you actually dislike?

I don't know how I can be more specific. I Do not like mutiple POVs. Because it's really boring to read from a characters point of view whom u dont like. For example in game of thrones I really dislike Daenerys. I believe she is a dumb LUCKY gullable girl (my opinion). There are a lot of books which only have one main character and from his point of view the story is told. For example blood song (anthony ryan) , the farseer trilogie, etc :)

Underboss
Just finshed Lee Childs latest Jack Reacher short story, I don't see the point in them, he could easily release 2 full books a year if he wasn't doing these short stories.

Roll on August 18th for the full release, very much looking forward to it.

Soldato
Now I'm reading Sharpe's Triumph, the 2nd in the Sharpe series.
As with the first Sharpe novel, I enjoyed it but the story isn't that exciting. Have the 3rd one on my wishlist, but won't be reading it for a while. I finished this the day before my holiday, which meant that I could read Half a King whilst away :).

Just finishing Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. Disappointingly, I haven't found the book particularly engaging. However, I wouldn't describe it as bad , and it is a fairly brisk read compared to the "tomes" I'm accustomed to. To be fair, the book is marketed as a YA novel, so perhaps it's my fault for expecting more. I've found the plot to be rather predictable, plus the characterisation isn't up to Joe's usual standards
I bought the hardback of this, then decided it is easier to read on the Kindle, so I bought another copy of it. I enjoyed the story and the characters, but I do understand where you're coming from. There isn't anything at the end which leaves me desperately wanting the next book.
Not sure what to read next, I have about 8 unread books on my Kindle. Perhaps some Sherlock Holmes.

Associate
Homicide: A Year On the Killing Streets by David Simon. It inspired the TV show of the same name and even The Wire. It's brutal, but also hilarious. Some of the things the detectives come out with in the bleakest moments. I guess you'd go mental without a bit of levity.

Back
Top Bottom