What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Reading that lot (of naval books) might take a while... I've read the two Massie books, which are good, especially Castles of Steel.

I've not even provided the old school books but yes it is not a work of moments. I've just bought the 5 book bibles by Arthur Mader, From Dreadnought to Scapa Flow :)

jcr

jcr

Associate
You reading through them in chronological (historical) order?

So you're still in India currently I assume?

yep. sharpes fortress. watched the tv series recently too. thought sean bean played the part very well.

i enjoyed the bernard cornwell saxon chronicles even more. definitely worth a look if you havent read them already :)

Man of Honour
Swan song, good God it's long an odd.

it's a nuclear war and the aftermath, however the devil appears to be wondering around new York and a psychic girl.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've not even provided the old school books but yes it is not a work of moments. I've just bought the 5 book bibles by Arthur Mader, From Dreadnought to Scapa Flow :)

Haven't read that, but many years ago I read the complete History of the War at Sea by Stephen Roskill. It was interesting to read, because at the time it was written Bletchley Park was still unknown, so most of what Roskill says on certain topics isn't true.

I'd also recommend A M Rogers' books on the history of the Royal Navy.

Man of Honour
Haven't read that, but many years ago I read the complete History of the War at Sea by Stephen Roskill. It was interesting to read, because at the time it was written Bletchley Park was still unknown, so most of what Roskill says on certain topics isn't true.

I'd also recommend A M Rogers' books on the history of the Royal Navy.

Ive got both, all of their stuff pretty much, Ive got about 30 books in print including those and Johnstone, Burt etc etc

Soldato
Just finished The Crippled God - thats the end of my Malazan marathon for the moment. I've still got all the Esslemont novels to read.

All in all it was a great series, the final book could have been better but he wrapped up most of the plots and subplots nicely.

Going to give the new Joe Abercrombie book Half a King a go now.

Soldato
I read The Nowhere Men by Michael Calvin and Flash Boys by Michael Lewis last week.

The Nowhere Men is about the unseen, poorly paid world of football scouting in Britain. Really interesting to see it from the other side, where experienced and respected scouts are picking up less than £10 a day scouting for some of the largest clubs around.

Flash Boys is Lewis' most recent effort following The Big Short. It focuses on the bizarre events that go on within High Frequency Trading, and like his other books is insightful, poignant and open enough for non-finance readers.

I've been having mega Wheel of Time withdrawals for weeks now. I want to get properly stuck into a fantasy series, but having difficulties picking one out. I'm impatient and therefore immensely dislike having to wait around for sequels to be released, so starting something like Words of Radiance might be an issue.

Have bought Malazan Book of the Fallen - anyone recommend it? Anything else I should look into?

Man of Honour
Wouldn't be my choice of reading matter but, hey, whatever floats your boat ;)

I fear most people would be in your boat ;)

I don't have the creative mind for fiction, Ive tried to read books of fiction over the years and frankly they just don't work for me. I am however and rapid consumer of facts, always have been, since a kid really. Planes, ships, motor sports, war and business books are my thing.

Soldato
Have bought Malazan Book of the Fallen - anyone recommend it? Anything else I should look into?

I think you've got a fair few Malazan fans knocking around here. Its an awesome series. There are some absolutely jaw droppingly amazing books, there are a couple of mediocre ones but for the most part its fantastic.

The scale of it is utterly huge, probably dwarfs even Wheel of Time for characters / plots / subplots but the author never really lets it get away from him like Jordan did with Wheel of Time. (and also, you dont have to read 90 pages describing what every woman is wearing every time she enters the scene)

Its not easy to get into, its a lot easier to understand after a reread but its a great series, you'll love it.

Man of Honour
Looking at The Hydrogen Sonata or Redemption Ark on my to read shelf.
Any opinions on which to choose?

I assume that you've read the two books which come before Redemption Ark? The series is reasonably standalone though, but not completely. And Hydrogen Sonata is not one of Banks' better books. I have to say I'd go with option C here. Pushed, the Banks.

I'm re-reading Lyndon Hardy's "Master of the Five Magics", which I last read soon after it came out in 1980. Those were the days when fantasy was fun, and not pretentious, and when you enjoyed the book enough to forget that the writing wasn't very good. Then soon after that Jordan came along and made everyone write books which are ten times too long. Long enough to remind you repeatedly how badly written they were. After this I'll read the two sequels, the last of which I never found first time.

Soldato
Been threatening it for about 15 years, but last night I finally started Dune!...the amount of times I have put it in my bag with the intention of reading it at work is ridiculous!

Soldato
I assume that you've read the two books which come before Redemption Ark? The series is reasonably standalone though, but not completely. And Hydrogen Sonata is not one of Banks' better books. I have to say I'd go with option C here. Pushed, the Banks.

I assume you mean Revelation Space and Chasm City? Yes I have. And Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days. It was a while ago though so I only remember the plot in broad strokes.

I always thought Chasm City was an offshoot and didn't fit into the Revelation-Redemption-Absolution cylcle? Just the same universe.

As for Hydrogen Sonata - doesn't have to be 'Excession' good, just tell me it's better than 'Matter'.

Last edited:
Soldato
I fear most people would be in your boat ;)

I don't have the creative mind for fiction, Ive tried to read books of fiction over the years and frankly they just don't work for me. I am however and rapid consumer of facts, always have been, since a kid really. Planes, ships, motor sports, war and business books are my thing.

I just an saw excuse to get a bad pun in. :o

I'll slip the occaisional non-fiction read into my reading shelf. Normally pop-science or 'agenda' journalism for want of a better description. Mark Thomas or Michael Moore type stuff.
I work for an evil defence conglomorate so it's good to hear the other side from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom