What book are you reading...

Soldato
I think you've got a fair few Malazan fans knocking around here. Its an awesome series. There are some absolutely jaw droppingly amazing books, there are a couple of mediocre ones but for the most part its fantastic.

The scale of it is utterly huge, probably dwarfs even Wheel of Time for characters / plots / subplots but the author never really lets it get away from him like Jordan did with Wheel of Time. (and also, you dont have to read 90 pages describing what every woman is wearing every time she enters the scene)

Its not easy to get into, its a lot easier to understand after a reread but its a great series, you'll love it.

You mean Erikson isn't a fan of good stout Two Rivers wool? :eek:

Great, much appreciated. Sounds like something I can get in to, will give it a go.

Man of Honour
I assume you mean Revelation Space and Chasm City? Yes I have. And Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days. It was a while ago though so I only remember the plot in broad strokes.

I always thought Chasm City was an offshoot and didn't fit into the Revelation-Redemption-Absolution cylcle? Just the same universe.

As for Hydrogen Sonata - doesn't have to be 'Excession' good, just tell me it's better than 'Matter'.

Essentially the five books of the series have linked background, and a handful of common characters, but each can be read alone. I have to say that my favourite Reynolds is "Century Rain" followed by "Terminal World", because in those two he moved out of his usual comfort zone.

Better than "Matter"? I don't remember either very much. But no, I'd say not. "Surface Detail" was the only SF of the last few which I thought was any good.

Soldato
I've read the entire Charlie Parker series and it is amazing!
So far there have been 12 books and will be continuing in the future.

Basic story is a detective wife has been murdered and he goes on the hunt for revenge.
Then the story takes a supernatural and demonic twist which is brilliant.
It's not about Vampires or anything like that, it's purely about Fallen Angels and Demons but without being too supernatural.

It's hard to explain but they are definitely worth a read!

Soldato
I think you've got a fair few Malazan fans knocking around here. Its an awesome series. There are some absolutely jaw droppingly amazing books, there are a couple of mediocre ones but for the most part its fantastic.

The scale of it is utterly huge, probably dwarfs even Wheel of Time for characters / plots / subplots but the author never really lets it get away from him like Jordan did with Wheel of Time. (and also, you dont have to read 90 pages describing what every woman is wearing every time she enters the scene)

Its not easy to get into, its a lot easier to understand after a reread but its a great series, you'll love it.
Definitely, I was borderline depressed when I finished with the realisation that there are unlikely to be any other series as good out there :( The second time reading is brilliant too, picking up loads of little details that I didn't catch the first time. I'm in awe about how Eriksen managed to not only conceive of the world and characters then write it in such a compelling manner.

My absolute favourite set of books I've ever read :cool: - load up a Kindle with the 10 Malazan books and it's about 12,000 pages of portable awesome - to put into context each book in the series is about the same size as the Lord of the Rings trilogy :p

Last edited:
Associate
I've read the entire Charlie Parker series and it is amazing!
So far there have been 12 books and will be continuing in the future.

Basic story is a detective wife has been murdered and he goes on the hunt for revenge.
Then the story takes a supernatural and demonic twist which is brilliant.
It's not about Vampires or anything like that, it's purely about Fallen Angels and Demons but without being too supernatural.

It's hard to explain but they are definitely worth a read!

Thanks, looking for a new series to read and will give this a try.
Picked up books 1-4 on kindle for £3.49 (ebook collection).

Soldato
Definitely, I was borderline depressed when I finished with the realisation that there are unlikely to be any other series as good out there :( The second time reading is brilliant too, picking up loads of little details that I didn't catch the first time. I'm in awe about how Eriksen managed to not only conceive of the world and characters then write it in such a compelling manner.

My absolute favourite set of books I've ever read :cool: - load up a Kindle with the 10 Malazan books and it's about 12,000 pages of portable awesome - to put into context each book in the series is about the same size as the Lord of the Rings trilogy :p

On the plus the Kharkanas trilogy is underway to be followed by a post Crippled God Karsa arc and also looking likely we may see an empire formation trilogy around Quon Tali time so thankfully still a lot to come!

Associate
If you are looking for a cheap read on the Kindle, head off to Amazon and search for Hot Box 8. Eight books from best selling authors (most self-publishing I believe) for 77p!

Reading the first book now and really enjoying it.

Actually bought it for the David Leadbeater novel (I definitely recommend his books if you are into fast-paced action-adventure).

Associate
If you are looking for a cheap read on the Kindle, head off to Amazon and search for Hot Box 8. Eight books from best selling authors (most self-publishing I believe) for 77p!

Reading the first book now and really enjoying it.

Actually bought it for the David Leadbeater novel (I definitely recommend his books if you are into fast-paced action-adventure).

Thanks

Soldato
The Pagan Lord. The latest instalment in Bernard Cornwell's series that now appears to being called the Warrior Chronicles.

Now finished this. I felt the quality of the last few books in the series had slipped since the earlier books. This was better, not up the standard of the early books but an improvement over the most recent offerings.

Felt shorter too, though I've not checked.

Now reading Without Fail by Lee Child.

jcr

jcr

Associate
Now finished this. I felt the quality of the last few books in the series had slipped since the earlier books. This was better, not up the standard of the early books but an improvement over the most recent offerings.

Felt shorter too, though I've not checked.

Now reading Without Fail by Lee Child.

I've grown bored of the reacher books but my gf is a big fan

Associate
Finished 'The Last Colony' - the third book in the Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Not as much action as the first two books - but it's still a shame to see the story end (I'm not counting the 4th book, which I believe is a re-telling of book 3 from another perspective).

Man of Honour
Finished 'The Last Colony' - the third book in the Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

Not as much action as the first two books - but it's still a shame to see the story end (I'm not counting the 4th book, which I believe is a re-telling of book 3 from another perspective).

I read the first one and have no plan to continue. He started off with a good idea, then just turned it into a bog-standard space opera.

Associate
I plan to re read Star wars replublic commando: Hard Contact again.
From what I remember it was very good.

Also bought The bobbit and earth abides.

Underboss
My wife has just bought me all the Bernard Cromwell "Sharpe" books, love the TV series so am hoping for a more fulfilling story in the books.

Should last me a wee while, there are 21 odd books.

Back
Top Bottom