What book are you reading...

Soldato
Just finished Man Down by Mark Ormrod.

It's an autobiography of a Royal Marine who left Afghanistan as a triple amputee. Mainly covering his tour in Afghan and then his recovery.

Soldato
Just finished God of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the follow-up to the fantastic A Princess of Mars (which Disney based the movie John Carter on - a very good movie). I really enjoyed it, a great story with action from start to finish. Hard to believe that it was written almost 100 years ago!

Now reading The Painted Man by Peter Brett

Associate
Last night I finished Brandon Sanderson's 'Steelheart'. I thought it was excellent. A very good twist on the whole Superhero thing that's so popular at the moment.

This morning I started Bernard Cornwell 's 'The Last Kingdom'. Enjoying it so far, never read any of his work before. I thought I'd give this ago after seeing this post... http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18617964. I prefer to read a book before the movie/tv version so I can have a proper whinge at what they've changed :)

Soldato
World war Z. Not really a horror novel reader (Sci-fi reader usually) but I found it in my dad's book collection, which I find rather odd as he's not a horror reader either. Giving it a go as curious really. Not watched the film, as I can't stand Brad Pitt (& his strange other half too) :mad:

Soldato
Just finished The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, thrilling in all of the right places. Definitely will be continuing the Night's Dawn trilogy!

Next book to read is book 4 of the Malazan series, House of Chains.

Soldato
Just finished Assail by ICE, the apparent last novel in the Malazan series and sadly it was complete dross.

It contradicted itself, did not close off half the threads, average writing, the big "reveal" was quite frankly tepid and something you could have fit into the middle of a book and no one would really care and the apparent end, urgh.

we need to make a peace accord between Andii, Assail, Imass and Jaghut as we are the races who try to decimate other races... Bull.

What about humans who butcher anything none human (Letherii being the prime example) the Liosan who butcher all Andii they can, the Edur who helped destroy the Che'Malle or the Thel who now led by Karsa seem to want to destroy everyone. They shouldn't be part of it!? Horse ****.

Oh and why is it is important to strike peace with the Andii who are almost all wiped out, the Imass who want release and the Jaghut who number less than a dozen pure bloods!?

Add to this the amount of inconsistencies in power which Erikson and ICE seem to come at from different angles it was a mess. (Assail being the primary ones)

Huge let form, hopefully ICE will keep away and Erikson can tidy it up.

A fault with the whole series (IMO) is how the Empire drifted out, the Malazan book of the fallen but no closure whatsoever on the Empire? Hmm...

Reading Who is Killing the Great Capes of Heropa by Andrez Bergen now, fantastic so far.

Soldato
Now reading The Painted Man by Peter Brett
Finished. The first book I've wanted to pick up and read (rather than just on the train on the way to/from work) in a long time. There were a couple of places towards the start when it dragged a little, but I really enjoyed the story and the characters except

Perhaps you shouldn't look if you haven't read the book:
I really didn't like the big jumps ahead in time. Arlen marks his hands with the wards, and then suddenly we've skipped a number of years and he is the Painted Man. It would have been great to read about how he changed over those years, his first encounters with other people. Perhaps this is covered in the next 2 books, I don't know.
I also found it quite amusing that it's basically a book about religion; with the story and races directly comparable to Christianity (and its numerous off-shoots) and Islam.

Associate
American Gods by Neil Gaiman, its not bad, bit slow and winding in places. Found his other book Neverwhere much more enjoyable and immersive. After this will be starting the Reality Dysfunction again, loved Nights Dawn and had to wait for the third book to come out, so forgot everything :D

Man of Honour
Finished Raman 2(Arthur c Clarke) it picked up towards the end, no where near as good as the first book.

Now on scary monsters and super creeps (Dom Jolly)

Associate
I'm reading Harry Bosch book #17 - The Drop.

going to finish them all and then move on to something completely different like stephen king or joe haldeman

Soldato
Just finished Fools Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Its been a while and maybe its just my memory but Hobbs writing style seems to have improved. I enjoyed the first few trilogies but I got more out of this one. Feels good to be back in the Six Duchies.

Associate
Just finished The Martian - I quite enjoyed it, and I'd be very surprised if it isn't made into a Hollywood blockbuster at some point in the future. Now onwards to the Lightbringer trilogy by Brent Weeks, starting with The Black Prism ....

Man of Honour
Just finished The Martian - I quite enjoyed it, and I'd be very surprised if it isn't made into a Hollywood blockbuster at some point in the future. Now onwards to the Lightbringer trilogy by Brent Weeks, starting with The Black Prism ....

By Andy weir? If so I really liked it as well, would be great for a movie, but it's one of those they would **** up.

Soldato
Just finished The Alchemist.

Read it in one sitting until 3am, what a fantastic book. Very rarely do I read a book tat effects me but this will be one, I found it a profound read and put forth some messages that really hit home with me in a great story too. Beautiful stuff and would recommend it to anyone, thanks to the person in this thread who brought it up so I could read it!!

Caporegime
Just finished The Alchemist.

Read it in one sitting until 3am, what a fantastic book. Very rarely do I read a book tat effects me but this will be one, I found it a profound read and put forth some messages that really hit home with me in a great story too. Beautiful stuff and would recommend it to anyone, thanks to the person in this thread who brought it up so I could read it!!

Just read the description and sounds right up my street!

Back
Top Bottom