What book are you reading...

Soldato
Hi gents.

Got given £30 worth of book vouchers from work for my 30th and looking to spend them.

Any tips? Has to be physical books but I mainly read kindle these days so looking for a trilogy maybe quadrology of books I can pick up. Any recomendations? Not fussed if genre as long as they are good!

Cheers.

Soldato
Tyrion is an antihero, he was born broken physically,
his brother broke him emotionally when he first got married and the results scars are why he constantly talks about prostitutes.
He has the cunning, intellect and wit of his father but lacks his ruthlessness so many believe he has a heart of gold, which explains his popularity.

I still don't see it, IMO he's poorly written and one of the worst characters of the entire series (4th book aside)

In terms of character development, my favourite is Jaime, I like how he has changed, he became a completely different person than the one who pushed Bran out the window.

Jaime is probably my favourite character as well.

Associate
Just finished Republic Commando: Hard Contact, Enjoyed it quite a bit, Don't even care if it's not the most complex read either! :rolleyes:

Have Republic Commando: Triple Zero to try now.

Cap

Cap

Associate
I have just started the Malazan series. I'm sure this will keep me occupied for a while. It was a toss up between that and the First Law trilogy. Did I make the right call?

Strangely enough, I found myself facing the same decision and opted for the First Law trilogy. I'd recently read the Wheel of Time in one go, without reading anything else in between, and the First Law books seemed a little less intense than Malazan.

Yeah it really depends on what you fancy reading. I really enjoyed First Law and what I've read of Malazan so far.

I've been reading lighter books in between Malazan and found its nice to mix it up a bit.

Just finished reading Toll the Hounds

Last edited:
Associate
Stephen King's It. The beginning is a bit pretentious, too much literature telling nothing, but it's starting to get better (I'm around 33%)

Soldato
"The Martian" by Andy Weir. I really enjoyed it. The set-up ("I'm trapped on Mars, alone and abandoned") kind of makes you think it's going to be very short but it's really good. Humour, nerdy science, drama etc. I really hope they don't screw up the film.

Also, I really liked that it didn't come down to some sort of "aliens save the day" BS. The last line that the hero delivers had me in fits too. :D

Associate
apartment 16 by adam nevill.

it's about a (going to assume) haunted apartment in a posh building, recently inherited by a young woman.

only 4 chapters in, it's easy enough going but soooo tired lately :(

Permabanned
Neal Stephenson's Zodiac. Knocked that out in just over a day. I'm no eco-warrior and there was next to no "tech" or "hacking" in regards to what I would usually find interesting, but it was entertaining none the less. As I said in another thread when discussing Snow Crash, the ending of Zodiac, like Snow Crash comes on hard and fast. It's like he reaches a point in his story telling and says "**** it, let's wrap this up" and he does. Though I feel he could get away with it more in Zodiac, it was much much more abrupt in Snow Crash.

In any case, his Interface novel is my next read which I'll start later tonight. No idea what it's about or what to expect, but I'm hoping it's more like Snow Crash.

Soldato
Reading Wil Wrights House of Blades books. Its not jumping out at me as a great set of books but an interesting concept, reminds me of Mistborn in that its kinda young adulty in style

Read the Takeshi Kovacs novels a few weeks ago too, must have read them half a dozen times now, one of my favorite go-tos when I'm not sure what to read and want something I know I'll enjoy :p Maybe Nights Dawn trilogy again next or might buy the Void Trilogy now its available as one book on Amazon

Soldato
Picked up five new books on Saturday. Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, Storm Front and Fool Moon of the Dresden series by Jim Butcher (the former of which I've already read; enjoyed it!), The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton, and finally Redshirts by Scalzi.

Nice little batch, should keep me going for a while.

The Dresden books are proving to be a nice little simple read after the complexity of the Malazan books, just what I needed.

Caporegime
Reading Silence of The Lambs at the moment, I've seen the film but after thoroughly enjoying Hannibal Season 2 I wanted to read all the books, so my GF bought me all of them and I've read Red Dragon and nearly got to the end of SoTL.

Thoroughly enjoyable book, it's been years since I saw the film so it's pretty fresh and new to read. Hannibal is a true monster.

I also enjoy having a visual image Laurence Fishburne as Crawford and although slightly different to the description a visual image of Mads Mikkelsen as Dr. Lecter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom