What book are you reading...

Associate
Just finished Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy , thought the last 100 pages where a bit rushed , was expecting a more epic ending .
Need a break from space opera for a while before i start his Void Trilogy so going to give Rosse Leckie's Hannibal/Carthage/Scipio trilogy a go

Man of Honour
Just finished "Night Film" by Marisha Pessl. I loved her first book, "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" (which I unsurprisingly bought because of the title), and this was good too, just not as much. The author pulled two old tricks in quick succession at the end, leaving the end a bit of an anti-climax. But it was probably the best way out.

Before that was "The Killing Moon" and "The Shadowed Sun" by N K Jemisin. These are fantasies, but unusual ones. For a start, there's only two in the series, and it's not one book split in two: the second takes place a decade after the events of the first. For a second, the basis of their magic is dreams. Not an original idea, but a very rare one, and heavily influenced by Ancient Egyptian theology. The first book is definitely the better of the two. The second reminded me a little of Robin Hobb. I consider that a complement, but I'm aware that some here do not. These two are good enough that my next visit to a book shop will feature her earlier books (Jemisin, not Hobb - I already have most of those).

Before that was "Blunders of our Governments" by King and Crewe. Its exactly what it say on the tin: the story of some of the worst government ****-ups since 1979 up to about 2013. Some are dealt with in great detail, and are the sort where you struggle to understand how the people concerned could not see what was about to happen. There a later section on why these catastrophes happen, but that's rather dull compared to watching politicians falling face-first in a cow-pat of their own making.

Now I've just started "Republic of Thieves" by Scott Lynch.

Underboss
Can anyone tell me if the Fire & Ice books are worth reading? I have watched GoT and enjoyed it very much and want to be able to enjoy the books but for the complete set they are not what I would class as "cheap". Even the kindle set it £30.

I will probably go ahead and get them but just wanted some opinions before pressing "buy now"

TIA

Soldato
Can anyone tell me if the Fire & Ice books are worth reading? I have watched GoT and enjoyed it very much and want to be able to enjoy the books but for the complete set they are not what I would class as "cheap". Even the kindle set it £30.

I will probably go ahead and get them but just wanted some opinions before pressing "buy now"

TIA

Depends. If you are the sort of geek who has seen the show and wants to know more of the nitty gritty detail, buy them. However, in there own right they are long, boring, not much happens and there is better stuff out there more worth your time.

Underboss
Depends. If you are the sort of geek who has seen the show and wants to know more of the nitty gritty detail, buy them. However, in there own right they are long, boring, not much happens and there is better stuff out there more worth your time.

I'm not a steriotypical geek but I do want to know more about the nitty gritty detail, so yeah I'm that kind of geek.

Long and boring I can do, looking for something to read whilst by the pool in Turkey next month.

Cheers Bunny

Soldato
Given how popular the books have been in the last year there must be piles of second hand ones floating around read and return bookshops and charity shops. Cheap option, but not much help if you want to take an ereader on holiday.

Personally I really enjoyed the first 2-3 books but started to get the sense that the pieces were moving around the board without any real purpose by the end of the most recently published one.

Soldato

TIA

It's not as good as people make out, it's certainly benefited from the hype machine, that being said it is still a very good fantasy series and up there among the better.

Especially if you like more black fantasy and no stereotypical heroes. A lot of filler the further the series goes on though.

Associate
Republic Commando: Hard contact.
I read this years ago and remember really liking it, so decided to re read, and hopefully read the 3 books afterwards.

I'm just a painfully slow reader.

Soldato
Finally got round to finishing the second book in the stormlight trilogy. Very good book, an improvement on the first and a cracking ending. Now the long wait for the third book.

I have just started the Malazan series. I'm sure this will keep me occupied for a while. It was a toss up between that and the First Law trilogy. Did I make the right call?

Soldato
Without a doubt yes, in my opinion the Malazan series the best fantasy every written.

Having said that, First Law is also worth a read.

Soldato
Finally got round to finishing the second book in the stormlight trilogy. Very good book, an improvement on the first and a cracking ending. Now the long wait for the third book.

I have just started the Malazan series. I'm sure this will keep me occupied for a while. It was a toss up between that and the First Law trilogy. Did I make the right call?

Both are fantastic. I personally prefer the Malazan series and would rate it the best fantasy series ever but First Law is also very good if a little formulaic at times.

Soldato
It's not as good as people make out, it's certainly benefited from the hype machine, that being said it is still a very good fantasy series and up there among the better.

Especially if you like more black fantasy and no stereotypical heroes. A lot of filler the further the series goes on though.

Agreed.
I found some of the stories, beyond the wall, exciting but the rest was fairly standard stuff.

And Tyrion is a **** character, I don't understand the love people give him!
ALL HE TALKS ABOUT ARE PROSTITUTES AND WHERE DO WHORES GO!?

It's really annoying, how is that good character development?!

Soldato
Finished Stand on Zanzibar. Took me ages as I have been quite busy, but it was worth it. I now consider it one of the best books I have ever read. It wasn't always easy, but I totally loved it.

Gonna go for something a bit lighter next. Probably going to re-read a PKD. Tonight I will take Martian Time-Slip, Time Out of Joint and Flow, My Tears and see what I fancy at the time.

Soldato

Strangely enough, I found myself facing the same decision and opted for the First Law trilogy. I'd recently read the Wheel of Time in one go, without reading anything else in between, and the First Law books seemed a little less intense than Malazan.

Soldato
I just read an interesting article about 'City of Stairs' by Robert Jackson Bennett. Sounded very intriguing. Seems to be getting some very positive comments. Anyone know anything about it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed.
I found some of the stories, beyond the wall, exciting but the rest was fairly standard stuff.

And Tyrion is a **** character, I don't understand the love people give him!
ALL HE TALKS ABOUT ARE PROSTITUTES AND WHERE DO WHORES GO!?

It's really annoying, how is that good character development?!

Tyrion is an antihero, he was born broken physically,
his brother broke him emotionally when he first got married and the results scars are why he constantly talks about prostitutes.
He has the cunning, intellect and wit of his father but lacks his ruthlessness so many believe he has a heart of gold, which explains his popularity.

In terms of character development, my favourite is Jaime, I like how he has changed, he became a completely different person than the one who pushed Bran out the window.

Back
Top Bottom