What book are you reading...

Soldato
I finished The Blade Itself this morning, and I'm not sure what to think:

I either really enjoyed it, despite not much actually happening. Or I thought it was OK, but really liked Abercrombie's writing. Does it get a bit more... exciting going into the second and third books, because very little seems to take place in The Blade Itself.

Associate
The first book really just introduces you to the core characters. The next two books advance the plot to a much more significant degree. If you liked the first book you will absolutely enjoy the others :)

Soldato
American Tabloid by James Ellroy. Good so far.

Ha!

I've literally just finished that! Great book. Going to pick out a few more of his books on the strength of American Tabloid. Who was your favourite character of the three? I liked Ward the most, he was the only one you could empathise with, the others weren't that likeable but I often found myself wishing through the pages to get to the Ward bits!

Rumours are HBO are talking up doing a miniseries of it.

Soldato
I finished The Blade Itself this morning, and I'm not sure what to think:

I either really enjoyed it, despite not much actually happening. Or I thought it was OK, but really liked Abercrombie's writing. Does it get a bit more... exciting going into the second and third books, because very little seems to take place in The Blade Itself.

Improves a lot, it took me three attempts to get through book one but after that the series just gets better and better fast.

Ha!

I've literally just finished that! Great book. Going to pick out a few more of his books on the strength of American Tabloid. Who was your favourite character of the three? I liked Ward the most, he was the only one you could empathise with, the others weren't that likeable but I often found myself wishing through the pages to get to the Ward bits!

Rumours are HBO are talking up doing a miniseries of it.

I'm only 60% through so things could change but I like Big Pete. Find Wards simpering and indecisiveness irritating and I struggle to empathise with Kemper as he is all profit and ambition which I don't really like in people. Pete is pretty honest, a bit brutally straight forward and simple but I like people who are straight up.

Soldato
Just finished reading Snow Crash there now. Loved it. My first Stephenson novel. Will definitely be checking out more of his stuff.

Not read any of his contemporary-set stuff, but got through the Baroque Cycle a while ago. It's a difficult trilogy, wide-ranging and expansive but extremely long-winded. I really enjoyed the whole thing, mainly as it felt like I'd genuinely achieved something just by finishing it.

The first book really just introduces you to the core characters. The next two books advance the plot to a much more significant degree. If you liked the first book you will absolutely enjoy the others :)

Improves a lot, it took me three attempts to get through book one but after that the series just gets better and better fast.

Ta - got next week off and have picked up the next two books. Looking forward to it now.

Soldato
"The Martian" by Andy Weir. I really enjoyed it. The set-up ("I'm trapped on Mars, alone and abandoned") kind of makes you think it's going to be very short but it's really good. Humour, nerdy science, drama etc. I really hope they don't screw up the film.

Also, I really liked that it didn't come down to some sort of "aliens save the day" BS. The last line that the hero delivers had me in fits too. :D

Did you not feel that it ended rather abruptly though...?
After the minute detail of his experiences and preparation for rescue from Mars I thought that when they had him on board of Hermes 3 I then expected a continuation rather than a fast forward to the rather rushed and conclusion, albeit kinda funny...!

Great book and thoroughly enjoyable, the first by that author I believe. I too am looking forward to the film. I did read that November next year is its expected release date.

Man of Honour
I didn't feel like that at all,
It was a rescue, why would it continue in survival mode. It's get the **** out if their.
absolutely ridiculous weight loss for the rocket though

Soldato
I didn't feel like that at all,
It was a rescue, why would it continue in survival mode. It's get the **** out if their.
absolutely ridiculous weight loss for the rocket though

You mean when they sent him up into orbit in a rag top...?!!!

lol

Maybe I was influenced by not wanting it to end, it was so damn good.! Just hope that they do the book justice when they release the film.

Man of Honour
Yep and yep. But not holding out hope. They've massacred every book I've liked recently.

World war Z one if the best books I've read, and the film is ****
Jack reach what a turd of a film. Why even call it after the book, there's nothing related to it.

Etc.

Soldato
Sadly I have to agree with you. After Reading all of the Lee Child novels I guessed that the Jack Reach film was kinds screwed for me when they announced Tom Cruise would get the role. TC I like but to portray the character of JR, nah just didn't work, for those who have followed the series over the years.

The latest JR book "Personal" is up there with the rest, albeit set in the present time I'm sure that JR must be pushing 50 or so now, as a character.

Man of Honour
And not only TC, but no sign of being a bum, I mean designer leather jackets, stunt driving etc. It wasn't even remotely the same character.

Soldato
Sadly that's Hollywood for you, take an idea rape and pillage it, dumb it down and give it some sparkle to make a few mill then on to the next project :(

I much prefer tv adaptions over films these days as they can give them the time they deserve.

Man of Honour
Oh man, that would have been so much better. Could you imagine a one off series for the Martian, could have fitted so much in. And timed it as needed. As they can just pick how many episodes they want.

Soldato
Oh man, that would have been so much better. Could you imagine a one off series for the Martian, could have fitted so much in. And timed it as needed. As they can just pick how many episodes they want.

Yip.

So much more flexibility and it's not as if TV doesn't get a budget these days so quality would be good. Biggest shame for me was the Enders Game adaption and how they mauled that. :(

Man of Honour
Trouble is funding for series aren't interested unless they can stretch it out to like 5+ series. Despite some of the best being on off series or mini series.
The Kill Point is one of the best series ever and it's a single series.

Last edited:
Associate
Ready Player One on the Kindle, nostalgia ahoy!

I do love this book, but I agree when people say it is only good for a certain generation. Imagine reading it without getting any of the references? Don't think it would too much fun.

Luckily I do though, so I thought it was great. :)

Soldato
Still struggling through The Heroes, just not feeling it at all but am too far through to give up lol... Have also just bought the three Mars books (Red, Blue and Green) for my kindle for 99p each from amazon which is great as my paperbacks were starting to fall apart :)

Soldato
The two Dresden books have been read, really nice quick books, brilliant for a little break. Also just finished Redshirts by Scalzi, that was absolutely fantastic, hilarious writing at parts, and plenty of nods to the sci-fi genre and culture.

Currently reading Best Served Cold. I was a bit dubious at first as it's not part of the trilogy, but it's just as every bit involving. Nice to see a few familiar faces pop up too!

Back
Top Bottom