What book are you reading...

Permabanned
Seveneves By Neal Stephenson

A very readable hard sf novel set in the near future, its about the moon exploding and the earth becoming uninhabitable as a result. Would make a fantastic film.

Will be checking out more from this author.

One

One

Soldato
Finally finished Freedom TM after about 5 months. Not sure why it took so long, it was a decent book.

Reading Three Men in a Boat now.

Soldato
Just finished Half the World (Shattered Sea, Book 2) by Joe Abercrombie.
I really enjoyed it, except for the fight at the end. It was a big anti-cliamax and I was really let down by it.
Some great characters, and he certainly knows how to suck you into the world. So much more thought has gone into it, and it's much more believable than the tripe that is Heroes Die: Book 1 of The Acts of Caine.

Associate
Finished The Martian last night, best book I've read in a long time and I'd recommend it highly. If the film is anywhere near as good as the book it's one to look forward to.

Associate
Finished The Martian last night, best book I've read in a long time and I'd recommend it highly. If the film is anywhere near as good as the book it's one to look forward to.

Was just about to post the exact same thing , its not often I finish a book in a couple of days.

Soldato
"Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwell. A factual accout of the battle of Waterloo instead of one of his Sharpe novels. I heard him discussing it on Graham Norton's radio show and thought I'd give it a try. Very cheap on Kindle and quite engrossing. I knew nothing of ther battle before starting the book but it's good. Descriptive without being dull, a good balance of Big Picture and personal detail and well illustrated with battle maps.

Associate
Seveneves By Neal Stephenson

A very readable hard sf novel set in the near future, its about the moon exploding and the earth becoming uninhabitable as a result. Would make a fantastic film.

Will be checking out more from this author.

You must read Snow Crash.

Also check out Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson too, great books.

Finished the Pat Cadigan Collection from SF Gateway (Fools, Mindplayers and Tea From an Empty Cup) Decent enough, themes are heavily reused throughout all the books. Got Synners by Pat to read through too.

Just about to start my next book, The Anubis Gate by Tim Powers, loved Declare by this author so giving this one a try.

Soldato
I'm reading Shadows of Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

It's ok, but can't really get into it, that being said not sure if its a book issue or me as this year I've gone from reading about a book every 1-2 weeks to 6 month into th year I've only read 2 novels, a half dozen short stories and then a load of graphic novels.

For whatever reason I'm really struggling to get into anything I pick up at the minute, not sure why but it is blinking irritating :p:(

Associate
Just started reading 'David Copperfield'.
Can't beat a bit of Dickens, I just love his use of language, metaphor and characterisations. All his books just ooze atmosphere. From the dark to the tragic to the comic, I don't think anybody does it better.

Soldato
Finished 'The Martian' and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope the film does it some element of justice.

Now reading 'The Girl on the Train' . Really enjoying this. Two days in and almost read the whole damn thing. I know its a cliche, but a real page turner (if you can turn a page on an ebook :) )

Soldato
I find The Lord of the Rings books rather dull. I apreciate the world building but, in my opinion, many other authors have done it far better. My main thought whilst reading them was "thank the maker that they didn't include all this singing by Aragorn in the movies!" :)

Soldato
Just finished a factual book called The Last Panther. A brutal account of the breakout from the Halbe Kessel, during the Battle for Berlin in 1945. It's only a short book, but it gripped me from start to finish. Definately recommended for anyone with an interest in WWII.

Back
Top Bottom