What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
About to start Ancillary Justice. Heard it's good.

It is, but almost certainly nothing like what you are expecting.

I've just finished the last of N K Jemison's "Inheritance" trilogy. The first two books are good, but the last rather weaker. They are a thematically linked set, rather than a long story split in three. The basic premise is a world where the local gods (with one exception) have been bound to the mortal realm, and serve at the whim of the ruling family. But while they have to obey orders, their power is largely undiminished. The first two books are about humans who come in contact with them, but the third is from the POV of one of the gods. As such, is falls foul of an old rule of literature, best expressed by G K Chesterton (IIRC): "To tell how extraordinary events strike extraordinary people is to have one extraordinary too many."

I'm going to guess that most people here won't like the whole set though: the books are low-key, and about people, not magic (although there is plenty of it), dragons or ice zombies. If you like Robin Hobb, you will probably like them. If not, you probably won't. They're not similar though, except in the kind of audience likely to appreciate them.

Soldato
Stephen King - The Dark Tower (the final book). Read the series a few times and get a bit more out of it each time I read it. What's not to like about a dimension hopping post apocalyptic western with time travel :D

Last edited:
Associate
Stephen King - The Dark Tower (the final book). Read the series a few times and get a bit more out of it each time I read it. What's not to like about a dimension hopping post apocalyptic western with time travel :D

About to start this series soon, just rereading The Hobbit atm.

Caporegime

Have you read the book he released afterwards? The wind through the keyhole? Thats superb :)

I finished Rage of The Demon King last night by Raymond E Feist...bloody bloody brilliant. Non stop action from about half way through. :)

Soldato
I can't get in to it(Dark Tower). Read the first book about 2 years ago and have the second on my shelf. I keep taking it with me to work, but never feel like starting it.

Soldato
I going the first decent but uninspiring (apart from the last chapter) so really struggled to bother picking up the second. Is it worth it?

Still struggling on with the Shadows of Apt, solid but uninspiring which was pretty much how I felt about the Hobb books (though they are completely different types of stories)

Associate
Not much of a reader im afraid, really want to but just cant get into them. I do on the other hand like to listen to audiobooks!...although i haven't listened to many. I got into the 4th dark tower book, stopped then couldn't get back into it. So i'll need to try again at some point.

Today I started Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes, although only an hour in its had me chuckling a few times, looking forward to what happens. Will need to write a list down from other recommendations on here.

Soldato
Finished "I Am Pilgrim" which was good fun and quite an interesting read until the slightly uneven ending.

Re-reading "Name of the Wind" which is still one of my favourite books of all time and a must for any fantasy fans. Also listening to the "The Belgariad" series whilst running which is spot on for taking my mind off the aches in my legs and my general lack of fitness, they're quite slow-paced but they create a fantastic world, right up there with Middle Earth in my opinion.

Soldato
I've just finished listening to the first Mistborn book by Brandon Sanderson. Epic is a good fit for it. Great plot with a good deal of subtly. Lots of loose ends that could create a fabulous story arc. However, after >30hrs I think I'll take a quick break before I continue with the series. :)

Alos, just finished Bernard Cromwell's "Waterloo". Very good and entertaining. A nice balance of battle info, history and human moments. Wow, was Napoleonic warfare barbaric!

Underboss
GRRM - A Storm of Swords Part 1.

Enjoyed the first 2 books very much, this one is slightly drawn out with the pages worth of "Jon is walking in the snow" but still very nice. Looking forward to Pt 2 and then the rest!

Soldato
I've just finished listening to the first Mistborn book by Brandon Sanderson. Epic is a good fit for it. Great plot with a good deal of subtly. Lots of loose ends that could create a fabulous story arc. However, after >30hrs I think I'll take a quick break before I continue with the series. :)

Probably the least (that's not to say I didn't enjoy it) enjoyable book of the three in my opinion too :)

Soldato
Hmmm, differing opinions on the Mistborn trilogy. I'll still reade them though. :D

Just started "Tiger Tracks" which is an account of a WW2 Panzer crews experiences on the Eastern Front (thanks for the recommendation :)). It's really odd to read things like "... just enough to trap a magnificent Tiger and its handsome German crew" or "... we defended that corner of Russia on behalf of the Reich." It's brutal, honest and compelling reading.

Underboss
Hmmm, differing opinions on the Mistborn trilogy. I'll still reade them though. :D

Just started "Tiger Tracks" which is an account of a WW2 Panzer crews experiences on the Eastern Front (thanks for the recommendation :)). It's really odd to read things like "... just enough to trap a magnificent Tiger and its handsome German crew" or "... we defended that corner of Russia on behalf of the Reich." It's brutal, honest and compelling reading.

I have read that one also look at : Hitler's Children - Spitting Fire, The Last Panther - Wolfgang Faust (very very good read), SS Panzer - SS Voices.

The Last Panther had some pretty shocking parts to it, it is also written by the same chap as Tiger Tracks *edit* now I think back, I think The Last Panther picks up where the story ended on Tiger Tracks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom