What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Been a fan of Cussler for years, he recycles the same storyline over and over, but he always manages to make the characters and story seems fresh.

Quite agree, I have just about all of his books now. It took me a bit to get into the first Isaac Bell book but once I got used to the new characters I soon snapped the rest of the series up.

Soldato
Really? I'm of the exact opposite opinion, thought it was the best with the third being a depressing slog!

That's how I recall it, it's been a few years since I read them though so I'm willing to admit I may be misremembering it :)

Soldato
I can't get in to it(Dark Tower). Read the first book about 2 years ago and have the second on my shelf. I keep taking it with me to work, but never feel like starting it.

In many ways the first book is quite different to the rest of the series. Quite a few more characters are introduced in the next book and the world and back story are advanced in quite a big way. Think of the first book as simply an introduction to Roland. In the following books there is basically a party of 5 (if you include Oy :)) rather than just Roland himself.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't get in to it(Dark Tower). Read the first book about 2 years ago and have the second on my shelf. I keep taking it with me to work, but never feel like starting it.

I loved the first three books but got very, very bored with the 800 page flashback in 'Wizard and Glass'. Gave up, not looked back :)

Man of Honour
Should finish, Mars Rover Curiosity: An Inside Account from Curiosity's Chief Engineer tonight, fantastic and interesting book.
Especially the politics and finances of NASA, I knew it was appalling, but this really does hammer it home.

Man of Honour
I forgot to mention reading Hawksmoor by Peter Akroyd a little while ago - the first time since soon after it came out. I still like it, I still think the namesake character is rather pointless (he doesn't appear until two-thirds of the way through, and does nothing. His job is solely as a link) and I still think that the end just peters out.

Last book I read was God's war by Kameron Hurley. Great and very violent adventure story set in a massively depressing isolated colony, during a religious war which has been raging for three hundred years. Think Richard Morgan, or the SF version of Joe Abercrombie, but more cynical and blood-soaked.

Soldato
Started Desolation Road by Ian McDonald last night. Not sure what to make of it so far tbh.

Also slowly going through The World of Ice and Fire. Really interesting.

Soldato
Just finished "The Annihilation Score", Charles Stross' new Laundry book. It's an interesting diversion in that it follows Mo instead of Bob, and is a real page turner. Finished it in a couple of days, and is good fun like the other books.

Soldato
Also look at : Hitler's Children - Spitting Fire, SS Panzer - SS Voices
RE: The Last Panther. What those soldiers and civilians did just to escape the Russians was both fascinating and brutal.
I'll add those you've suggested to my list.

I've just finished The Last Kingdom (The Warrior Chronicles, Book 1) by Bernard Cornwell. Great story, and I love his writing style. Didn't realise the series was more than a trilogy though. I'm trying to find somethine else to read before I move onto book 2.

Soldato
Working my way through the Xeelee sequence by Stephen Baxter. Have to say I'm really enjoying the bite sized novella's! Started while on holiday in the Canaries this week and currently mid-way through Flux.

Soldato
I'm reading R. Scott Bakker first book, really good stuff so far. Hopefully it can continue in the same vein!

If you are fans of Eriksen (and I suppose GRR Martin too) read R Scott Bakker! First book is "Darkness that Comes Before" and it is fantastic. Very much in an Eriksen vein where it chucks you in at the deep end into a highly complex fantasy world with lead weights around your feet.

Nothing is spoonfed, the world and plot unfold bit by bit like peeling away petals, a little more is developed each chapter and when it comes together at the end of the first book it's great.

Very good characterisation (though in a very good book it is perhaps the weakest element though by no means weak) there are many shades of grey and characters you can emphasise wig and those you can't help but hate. :)

Another nice element is he doesn't rely on cheap thrills, there is violence, swearing and sex but they are woven into the story and have a purpose as opposed to some authors.

Read this book, puts a lot of the newer authors to shame. But be aware if you do like a well spelled out world where everything is made clear stay away.

Now onto his second book, particularly looking forward to reading more on Kellhus, really good creation and a very compelling if purposefully abstract character.

Back
Top Bottom