What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Antarctica on a Plate
The true story of a young woman who ditched everything she knew to become a cook in the coldest place on earth: Antarctica.
Imagine you are a young woman with a stellar career but an increasing dissatisfaction with life. Imagine that your idea of a "remote location" is the distance between a taxi rank and a shoe shop. How do you shrug off your growing ennui? Simple. You apply for the position of cook in the coldest place on earth: Antarctica.

Antarctica lends itself to tales of adventure and heartbreak. The landscape is polarized, beautiful and deadly in equal measure. But Alexa doesn't scale mountains or trek to the Pole. Instead, armed with an old cookbook, she attempts to create three-course meals with no electricity or running water and struggles to defrost meat in sub-zero temperatures. Life in a thin nylon tent in the company of scientists, explorers, and eccentrics soon begins to take on extraordinary dimensions. As 120-kilometre-an-hour winds blow and tensions rise, friendships, and love, are forged in this frozen neighborhood.

I want to go do a season on the ice, well I wanted to go do a season before this book, unfortunately uk does not have a big base unlike the Americans. Which is annoying. Americans need quite a few unskilled labour people to unload ships, laundry, cleaning etc.

Associate
Anybody getting the last discworld novel? Just ordered the hardback/limited edition from waterstones. I'm more into comics and this was a request from the partner, I actually bought a softback version to disappoint her before giving her the special edition. :p

Soldato
What do you guys do in regards to limited editions / signed editions if you have the choice? So Demon Road by Derek Landy isn't out yet, but at Waterstones, they have both the standard and a signed edition available. Both editions cost £10, so not sure if I should go signed or not :p I know I got two signed copies of the last Skulduggery Pleasant book he released.

What do you do when given a choice like this?

Soldato
I don't know how I missed them, but I started reading Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter's The Long Earth series over my holiday and couldn't put them down!

I need to find The Long Utopia now :)

Associate
Recently finished dan brown - digital fortress and before that angels and demons, absolutely love this guy, really puts so much work into his books.

Currently slowly..reading gone girl, loved the movie..but so much was missed out!

Soldato
Just started reading Michael Conelly's first Harry Bosch book, The Black Echo.

Want to read Stephen Leathers 12th Spider Shepherd book, Black Ops - but will read The Black Echo first. Fantastic series, the Spider Shepherd ones.

Soldato
I tried the black echo by Conelly, it was good but far too much emphasis on the detail for my liking. It felt like he was trying to paint a picture with every chapter, down to the flies at a murder scene, and the wings on the flies, and the veins in the wings in the flies pulsing, and the hairs on the flies, and the way the hairs glistened in the lamplight...... :D

Just reading Ardennes 1944, first real foray into WWII writing, it's slow going. Got Terry Goodkinds First Confessor coming tomorrow, so will probably launch into that when it arrives.

Soldato
Has anyone read the "new" Harper Lee book? To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books, but given that To Kill a Watchman was effectively rejected by her publishers, I'm pretty concerned about ruining that memory.

Soldato
Just been on holiday and got through 2 1/2 books.

Ice Station Zebra by Alistair MacLean
Classic cold-war espionage drama set on a sub in the arctic. Great story from start to finish.

The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell
Book 2 in the Warrior Chronicles. Love Bernard Cornwells writing, and the story just flows brilliantly. Based around King Alfred and the Viking invasion. Never dull, always something interesting about to happen, I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to the next book.

Half A War by Joe Abercrombie
The final part in the Shattered Sea series. As far as I'm concerned, Joe Abercrombie is the only author I've read that matches GRR Martin for building a beautiful, detailed and believeable fantasy world. Another new set of lead characters, but never forgetting about those from the previous two books, this is a really good ending to the triliogy. Hopefully more to come from this world.

Caporegime
I am almost finished the first Tom Clancy book I have ever read after being recommended it after a conversation with someone at work.

Red Storm.

Tbh I'm not sure about it but I'd like to give his writing another chance. Are there any other books of his I should check out, preferably a stand alone book, rather than a series.

Soldato
Just been on holiday and got through 2 1/2 books.
The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell
Book 2 in the Warrior Chronicles. Love Bernard Cornwells writing, and the story just flows brilliantly. Based around King Alfred and the Viking invasion. Never dull, always something interesting about to happen, I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to the next book.

Another brilliant series with a very likeable hero. Very much like the Sharpe series just set in early West Saxon Britain. I've just finished reading the latest in the series and as always it was great :)

Soldato
I have finished listening to Jake Bible's Post apocalyptic Zombie books in the Z-Burbia series, which wee quite gripping going from one to the next. From those I did try his two books in the "Mega" series but the first didn't do much for me.

Following that I am now into book three of D. J. Molles "Remaining" series, six in total. These books have some variations of the Zombie post apocalyptic theme that intrigue me enough to keep going, in an enjoyable way.

Back
Top Bottom