What book are you reading...

Just finished The Folks at Fifty-Eight by Michael Patrick Clark.
A spy thriller set just after the end of the 2nd world war, and the birth of the CIA. Those pesky Russians are the "bad guys" and as with most spy stories, it ultimately revolves around finding a mole within the U.S agency. It is a good story but for some reason, the author decided to turn the middle 3rd of the book into what I can only describe as a semi-erotic novel :confused:. An unnecessary story about the wives of various characters sleeping with anyone and everyone. It was strange, added nothing to the story, and was completely unneeded. Thankfully the last third of the book was very good.
If you like spy thrillers, it's worth a read.

Just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Average. He's one of those writers (like many) who write the same book over and over again, and it's starting to show. This is a slight diversion in a new direction, but not exactly path-finding.

Also, for those with better memories than me for his books: who is the mayor? The book makes it fairly clear that Lamb knows her, but I don't remember the early books well enough to figure it out.

Now reading "Black Opera" by Mary Gentle; another of her alternate history books.

Just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Average. He's one of those writers (like many) who write the same book over and over again, and it's starting to show. This is a slight diversion in a new direction, but not exactly path-finding.

Also, for those with better memories than me for his books: who is the mayor? The book makes it fairly clear that Lamb knows her, but I don't remember the early books well enough to figure it out.

Now reading "Black Opera" by Mary Gentle; another of her alternate history books.

her name is Carlot something or other (name escapes me) she was the woman who betrayed Dagoska when Glotka was there. I vaguely remember Logen and her crossing paths in the capital before it falls.

I quite liked the book and found the western angle very interesting but wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.

Just started Silent House by Orhan Pamuk. Supposed to be a great read so picked it up in my uni book shop, along with Stoner: A Novel and the original Band of Brothers book.

I've just read Odd John by Olaf Stapledon- that was good. Then last Call by Tim Powers- excellent until the last 50 pages...

Onto The Fort by Bernard Cornwell now. Hopefully it wont be "find and replace" with character names as so many of his books are these days...

Reading the diablo book blood legacy atm, Il admit they are not the most intensive of reads but they have some great lore behind them and can draw you into the world, througly enjoing them

I have recently read the first 4 Sharpe books, really enjoyed them all.
Just finished the second Harry Hole book by Jo Nesbo, i found it much better than the first one.
Tonight just started Sharpe no. 5

I have recently read the first 4 Sharpe books, really enjoyed them all.
I plan to try the Sharpe books at some point. I read the first of Bernard Cornwell's A Novel of Arthur trilogy and enjoyed it. I'm assuming that his writing style and story telling is the same.

Just finished A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's the story that the movie John Carter is based on (which I thought was very good). Written in 1917, it was the inspiration for many Sci-Fi writers, and it is really good. It does differ slightly from John Carter, and in places I thought it was a little rushed. For example, there is one big battle which starts and finishes on the same page. This one book could have been a great trilogy.
There are more books in the John Carter's Chronicles of Mars series, and I've already got them to read (76p for 5 books on the Kindle :eek: :D!!!!!)

Oh dear, you're tempting me. It's well over 35 years since I read those (which is a depressing thing to be able to type!) I doubt they've ages well but the temptation to revisit is strong.

I blame you if I waste 76p. :-p
No problem. If you pay for the Royal Mail next day recorded delivery, I'll put 76 one pennies in a jiffy bag and post them over ;) :D.

I'm reading the latest Discworld novel, Raising Steam.

It's just not grabbing me, heck it's just not very good :(. Doesn't read like it's been written by Pratchett at all.

The girl with the dragon tattoo, got some good reviews so thought I'd give the series a go.

I read this, and the whole series, recently.
I really enjoyed this book out of all of them, but I was a bit disappointed at the end as it all came together too quickly.

But the journey of the book is great!

I'm reading the latest Discworld novel, Raising Steam.

It's just not grabbing me, heck it's just not very good :(. Doesn't read like it's been written by Pratchett at all.

It is a shame his illness has robbed him of his wonderful skill as a writer.

1st post in this thread, I'm not much of a book reader until recently (I now read on my Tachograph break at work) Currently I'm on the 3rd Hunger Games book after taking 2 months to read the 1st two (finding out what the fuss is all about, did the same with Harry Potter). Not bad for a teenagers book trilogy, Had I been the age of my sister's eldest boy (15 1/2) I would've got these when they were released.

Back
Top Bottom