What book are you reading...

American Gods.

I'm 100 pages in, I'm still a bit in the dark about what's happening and some of it is a bit bizarre but it's captivating, and there's at least 2 or 3 characters that I've taken a liking to, so I'm going to keep going and see where the book goes. From reviews I can only imagine it gets quite good before the end.

Really good book. I found the first 100 pages to be good, but the rest of the book is awesome.

As far as the tale goes, it's expansive and has depth, but I think I preferred reaching Anansi Boys by Gaiman to be honest. Is a really short, sweet story.

Ok, finally made it to the end of the Robin Hobbs Assassins books and, er... well, I've read worse.

The first half of the last book bored me to tears. It picked up a bit when we found Verity, but what the heck happened at the end? Did she run out of time or something? I got to about 96% and was wondering how all the loose ends (from what felt like a lifetime ago!) would get tied up. Then the last 20 pages or so turned into a complete farce; all tell and no show. It was really unsatisfying, despite holding some potentially satisfying climaxes.

I guess once you've unleashed the 'nuclear deterent' of dragons it'd all be over pretty quickly, and I guess I liked the white ship explanation, but I wanted to be shown all that stuff, not told it in one long "this is what happened next" passage. Poor writing.

Yet I'm still intrigued to see what happens in the Tawny Man books. So it can't have been too bad? Or maybe I'm just suffering from Stockholm syndrome after being in that universe for a couple of months. :-)

Like you I was interested to find out more but I was put off to hold my curiousity in check when there is so much I want to read.

I'm still slowly dying trying to finish the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham, anyone else read these? I picked it up after some list or other rated it second best fantasy series ever. I get what he is trying to achieve but I think it suffers for the fantasy setting as he doesn't really delve into that side enough and playing the long game makes it really difficult to attach to the characters. I appreciate their story and can see where they have got to and why but such large scope seems to have removed the attachment to pretty much anything. It feels like 4 snapshots as opposed to a long story arc.

I'll finish it but I haven't picked it up in a week and find myself procrastinating to dodge reading to avoid the book which is very unlike me. But after 3 and a half books don't really want to give in :p

Just finished A Reason To Kill by Michael Kerr. I got this for my Kindle because of 2 reasons, firstly it has 4.5 stars from 954 reviews, and secondly it was free. Now the people who have given it such a high rating have either seen something in it that I didn't, or they just like poor novels because as far as I'm concerned, there was really nothing good about it. Don't believe the author when he says he writes hard hitting and original books, because there was nothing hard hitting or original about it. To start with it just wasn't written very well, and the story was a crime thriller by numbers, that's been done so many times before: police trying to catch a crime boss and have an insider in the gang, and surprise surprise; the gang have an insider in the police force. Throw in a crazy (and ridiculously good for no apparent reason) hitman, and an unnecessarily silly romantic interest, and that's it. Dull. Even if another of his books it free, I won't be getting it.

I'm now reading The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas, which was also free and I know will be considerably better, even if the Kindle says it will take me 31+ hours to read (1200 pages) :eek: :).

I just finished Canal Dreams by Iain Banks. He's described it himself as being 'the runt of the litter' and I'd have to agree. As you'd expect it's well written but the narrative goes from not much happening to John Woo movie at the flick of a switch at about the half way point.

Starting Emperor : The Blood of Gods now, becasue I read the first four novels years ago and want to see if Conn Iggulden can bring the magic back.
Also reading the complete Panetary Omnibus (Warren Ellis) on the side.

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
A hack job from Chuck Hogan based on a couple of vague ideas from Guillermo - no doubt he'd scribbled them on the back of a fag packet before using them all in Blade 2. Terrifyingly bland.

You want breakfast NOW? - A Mongol Rally Experience by James Druce
Finally got around to reading this despite downloading it free ages ago - iirc the author is on this forum and had been pimping it. Very enjoyable and entertaining, had me itching to buy an old shed and have a go myself.

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
Not quite as memorable as The Way of Kings, but still pretty damn awesome.

This Book Is Full Of Spiders - Seriously Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong
Lovecraftian horror meets fast zombies with a ton of spiders and daft knob jokes chucked in. I much preferred it to John Dies at the End.

Last edited:
Just started the first book in The Stormlight Archives - its started very well, I'm hooked.

Please tell me this series doesn't follow the usual Brandon Sanderson pattern of getting so depressing you want to /wrist?

Just read the latest Pratchett. Still readable, but has sadly confirmed my suspicion from the last couple that the Alzheimer's is reducing his powers. :(

His writing just seems untidy and disorganised now. I know he's moved from typing to speech recognition. I wonder whether that's partly to blame, that it removes something of the self-editing step.

Just started the first book in The Stormlight Archives - its started very well, I'm hooked.

Please tell me this series doesn't follow the usual Brandon Sanderson pattern of getting so depressing you want to /wrist?

Well, the second book was only released a few days ago, so too early to tell.

It is shaping up nicely though imo. Half way through the second book atm.

Making good strides with The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. Should have started it much, much sooner than I did, but I struggled big time with finishing The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I've not had that much apathy to finish a book since Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.

In contrast, I think I'll be finished The Republic of Thieves within a few days at most. Really enjoying this series. At last we get to meet Sabetha !

After that I may contemplate starting Words of Radiance. I do like Sanderson's world-building but sometimes I wish he would be less G-rated with his writing, and tighter with the prose/dialogue.

Well, the second book was only released a few days ago, so too early to tell.

It is shaping up nicely though imo. Half way through the second book atm.

I'm only 10% in and absolutely loving it so far.

Wish I had more time to read, half an hour each way on my commute. And I'm a slow reader so this massive tome will keep me busy for a little while!

Making good strides with The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch.
I've just started Lies of Locke Lamora myself. It's a bit early to say whether I'm enjoying it or just along for the ride. :-) Interesting to see we have similar experiences of...
finishing The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. I've not had that much apathy to finish a book since Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.

I found both similarly disappointing. They were beans on toast (filling but not very exciting), to Martin's fish & chips with mushy peas. Lots of mushed peas. With lashings of vinegar.

I like fish & chips. Mind you I like beans on toast as well, so I'm not sure where I'm going here. To the kitchen mainly... I'm peckish now.

Good, but over rated. I much preferred Animal Farm, I found that despite the characters being animals, I connected with them more. Although there are a number of exciting parts to 1984 that make you want to keep reading so, like I said, it is a good book.

I am about 3/4 through Words of Radiance. It really is epic in every sense, and I get the impression that it is about to get even more so.

I enjoyed Way of Kings, and thought it had a lot of potential, but it was a bit ponderous and long-winded. Thankfully, Sanderson has improved in every way!

You want breakfast NOW? - A Mongol Rally Experience by James Druce
Finally got around to reading this despite downloading it free ages ago - iirc the author is on this forum and had been pimping it. Very enjoyable and entertaining, had me itching to buy an old shed and have a go myself.

I popped into this thread as I have handed in my last assignment for the year and decided to dust off (literally) the old kindle and read my first book of choice in over a year.

And your post is the first page I read. Incredibly glad you enjoyed my book, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom