What car do you drive and why?

Man of Honour
Current car: BMW 530i Sport

Why: I wanted something which would show the plebs in crap cars how much better than them I was - I needed to show how, when it comes to driving, totally awesome I was and how they really need to get out of my way. Obviously every car there isn't a Mondeo or a BMW 5 Series is crap, and I already had a Mondeo so the choice was made for me. Driving a BMW, even one that really is getting a bit old, just shows everyone how much superior I am and how I own the road.

Next car:

Well I'm so amazingly busy I've not had a chance to test drive them but this is my shortlist:

Audi A2 1.4 TDI
Audi A8 6.0 W12
Ford Mondeo 1.6 Aspen or maybe a 2.5T Titanium X
BMW M5 E60 or I might settle for a 520d, not decided.

Soldato
current car: Zafira CDTI 150 SRi

why: With a 2nd kid and a knackered back at the time, I wanted something easy to get in/out/put kids in, I got £6200 off the rrp, and had it fully spec'd with Active Suspension/18" Alloys/VXR styling pack/Panoramic roof/Cruise/Climate.
It's re-mapped and switchable from the Sport button to just under 200BHP/450nm

It handles very very well for it's size, the active suspension makes a noticeable difference. I love throwing it through the twisties, and it 100% surprises people when they can't shake you, "what!!, that 'bus' is keeping up with my 'insert sporty car here'"... (for some reason if it's a 530i or Focus, I tend to chuckle a bit :) )

next car: A cheap motorbike to commute to work on

why: The back is better, the kids just old enough to not need much assistance getting in/out and I live 7 miles from work, as opposed to 50!..

I'll be going 'cheap' for a couple of years, and then get something highly unpracticle for weekend blasts..

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12574850 said:
Current car: BMW 530i Sport

Why: I wanted something which would show the plebs in crap cars how much better than them I was - I needed to show how, when it comes to driving, totally awesome I was and how they really need to get out of my way. Obviously every car there isn't a Mondeo or a BMW 5 Series is crap, and I already had a Mondeo so the choice was made for me. Driving a BMW, even one that really is getting a bit old, just shows everyone how much superior I am and how I own the road.

Next car:

Well I'm so amazingly busy I've not had a chance to test drive them but this is my shortlist:

Audi A2 1.4 TDI
Audi A8 6.0 W12
Ford Mondeo 1.6 Aspen or maybe a 2.5T Titanium X
BMW M5 E60 or I might settle for a 520d, not decided.

That's a bit all over the shop! :eek:

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12574850 said:
Audi A2 1.4 TDI

Can I please be there when you take delivery?

I realise your taking the mick.

Back on topic

Current:Mondeo 04 2.0 TDCI 130 Zetec
Why: Wanted a Focus size car and these were much better value, was going to get a ghia x but didn't like the leather then I wanted a Zetec-S but the bigger wheels and stiffer suspension ruined the ride so in the end settled for a Zetec has all the toys I need and was a bargin to boot. Would have got an ST petrol but drive silly miles on a regular basis.

Next Car: Really Really Really want an M3 but not sure I'll ever be able to justify it so probably a newer mondeo if the new shape has the same tiny second hand value as the old one!

Last edited:
Soldato
it cuts out when you drop down from 3rd to 2nd when coming up to lights (think the idle fuel valve is a bit knackered, so I just rev a bit after taking out of 3rd and it prevents that), it creaks like hell under 30mph (probably slight rust on the brake discs), the guy that 'services' it for me said there's no point getting it properly done, but it's road safe
you know that you can just pop out your throttle idle sensor and give it a clean with some carb cleaner and that normally works? it's literally a 2 minute job

/edit you can even adjust the screw which changes the default level of revs your car idles at, just make it slightly more than it was before, you can work it out :)

B@Th*nG

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Current cars:

1. R33 Nissan Skyline GTS-T.

Why: I don't know really, having sold my Integra I was seriously considering importing some old-school Jap metal, and got very close to buying an AE86 Corolla, but in the end I didn't have the balls for something so old and potentially money draining. I was having a browse of Pistonheads, and although I've never considered them before (I always saw them as overrated), I started browsing the Skylines. This one caught my eye, and it was fairly local so I went to have a look.

I was pleasantly surprised with the way it drove and the awesome noise it makes, so I bought it. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I don't regret it one bit, I've really gelled with the car and it's huge fun.

2. 2nd Gen Toyota Estima (JDM version of the Previa)

Why: Having four kids I need an MPV as our main family chariot. I previously owned a 1st gen Estima and it served us brilliantly, it was practical, supremely reliable, and being a Jap-spec model it was very well equipped, especially compared to the UK previa. When it got a bit too long in the tooth the natural upgrade was a 2nd gen Estima. I did consider other options like the Galaxy etc, but none of them came close to the size, practicality and spec of the JDM Estima.

So I bought a second gen Estima, my particular one has a factory 'aeras' bodykit, 18" Lenso split-rim wheels and sits on TRD lowering springs, so it looks good for an MPV, on top of the more important things like being fantastically practical, very well specced, reliable and good to drive for an MPV.

Next: I'll be keeping the Estima till it's old and worth about 5 pence, then I really don't have any idea what I'll replace it with. If it turns out to be as brilliant a workhorse as my previous one was then I'll probably get yet another newer one.

As for the Skyline, I like to think I'll finally have the balls to get that classic old-school jap car when I've had enough of the Skyline.

Last edited:
Associate
now : 2008 c-max 1.6 zetec
why : practical, and the mrs really wanted one!. i like it actually its not the fastest car but its comfortable and nice to drive with loads of room for the kids and luggage.

next : well i really tried hard to convince the mrs a focus was the way to go this time round, so maby next time lol

Soldato
Current Car: Lotus Elise 111R
Why: Cos it's the best handling car I've ever driven (and I like the twisties)

Other Current Car: VW Golf GTI 1.8T
Why: Cos it's functional, comfy and quick enough to stop me getting bored.

Current Car: Flippy paint chavvy MGZR 120+
Why: Cos I haven't got round to selling it yet.

Next Car: Not sure really. I hardly use the Elise and never use the ZR so I'll just sell em when I get round to it and maybe buy a motorbike for my kicks.
Why: I need something sensible with rear seats that can carry two bikes so maybe a Scooby/R32/Cupra R for sensible duties, and a motorbike for fun.

Soldato
1. Volvo S80 2.9SE

Why: I wanted a comfortable auto, i felt this was the best compromise and was well under budget.

2. triumph dolomite 1850

Why: Had some free cash after a big bonus at work, always puts a smile on my face. Only problem is if i have to drive it for over an hour it gives me really bad backache so i only use it if the volvos out of action :( must have spent more time working on it than driving it. (only minor problems, but always get complications)

Next. I was going to replace the volvo with something newer or bigger but keep thinking i should replace the dolomite with something a bit more comfy and more reliable or something mad. An e34 m5 or a classic imprezza comes to mind :o

Man of Honour
Current Bike: Kwak 06 ZX10R

Why: Wanted a il4 1 litre machine that is a exciting to ride, v fast, cheap, bulletproof motor, easy modded.. not so bothered on handling as the fight to keep ZX10 under control on the power is a ton of laughs and scary at the same time which keeps adren pumping.

Next Bike: Will no doubt be a 08 ZX10R, though 08 Busa is something i want for sheer road presence.

Why: I love the engines of Kwaks over any other manufacturer, just very raw, aggressive and take endless abuse. The induction roar alone gives you goose bumps. The 08 ZX10 ups the stakes further, shame it's butt ugly and abit tame stock, but everything is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Current Car: Lotus Elise 111R
Why: Cos it's the best handling car I've ever driven (and I like the twisties)

Other Current Car: VW Golf GTI 1.8T
Why: Cos it's functional, comfy and quick enough to stop me getting bored.

Current Car: Flippy paint chavvy MGZR 120+
Why: Cos I haven't got round to selling it yet.

Next Car: Not sure really. I hardly use the Elise and never use the ZR so I'll just sell em when I get round to it and maybe buy a motorbike for my kicks.
Why: I need something sensible with rear seats that can carry two bikes so maybe a Scooby/R32/Cupra R for sensible duties, and a motorbike for fun.

Got any photos of the Lotus Elise?

Soldato
Current Workhorse Car: VW Passat 2.0 Tdi S.

Why: Because God hates me.

Next Workhorse Car: Legacy Wagon 2.0 Boxer D or 320 D Touring

Next Fun Car: Holding onto cash atm due to high interest rates, constantly looking at Porsche 968 Clubsports.

Man of Honour
Next Workhorse Car: Legacy Wagon 2.0 Boxer D or 320 D Touring

Useful 'Reasonably posh diesel estate things' group-test in Autocar this (or last?) week. Thought of you when I read it. They didnt rate the Legacy unfortunately - reckoned it was a great engine stuck in an out of date car. Shock of the test was the Audi A4 which came absolute bottom :eek:

Soldato
[TW]Fox;12575235 said:
Useful 'Reasonably posh diesel estate things' group-test in Autocar this (or last?) week. Thought of you when I read it. They didnt rate the Legacy unfortunately - reckoned it was a great engine stuck in an out of date car. Shock of the test was the Audi A4 which came absolute bottom :eek:

No, bugger, I've got a test drive organised for next week :(

Back
Top Bottom