What desktop speakers are you using?

Man of Honour
I use to own some Edifier 1600Ts, they were very good for what they cost (£50), however compared to professional Bi-amped studio monitors there is no comparison. I sold the Edifiers, once you get better gear you realise Edifiers are very consumer sounding.

Depends which variant you are talking about - what was essentially the 1.0 version, which some of us bought from the first batch sold here, were very much not a consumer sound with a very flat response. Later variants unfortunately did become very consumer focussed and probably built to tighter margins as the brand became more popular.

They also hated being too near a wall, bass performance especially dropped off a cliff if you didn't give them some good space which was a bit of a disadvantage with a desktop speaker.

Soldato
Depends which variant you are talking about - what was essentially the 1.0 version, which some of us bought from the first batch sold here, were very much not a consumer sound with a very flat response. Later variants unfortunately did become very consumer focussed and probably built to tighter margins as the brand became more popular.

They also hated being too near a wall, bass performance especially dropped off a cliff if you didn't give them some good space which was a bit of a disadvantage with a desktop speaker.

I had the R1600T Plus, OCUK sold loads of them back around 8 years ago, the ones you own.

For £50 they were very good, little harsh high ends, cabinet vibration, amplification was ok but nothing special. I do agree they had a flat response curve.

I use Prodipe Pro V3's now, the Prodipes there a whole league ahead compared to the Edifiers. Cabinet construction is better (less vibration), more detailed vocals, softer high ends, better amplification (more headroom), overall thicker warmer more natural sound from the Prodipes.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had the R1600T Plus, OCUK sold loads of them back around 8 years ago, the ones you own.

For £50 they were very good, however compared to a professional studio monitor, little harsh high ends, cabinet vibration, amplification was ok but nothing special. I do agree they had a flat response curve.

Spend a week with some bi-amped pro studio monitors and you realise there is quite a difference in quality, as said I sold my R1600T's.

Hmm the high end if anything is a little rolled off on mine rather than harsh and never had any problems with cabinet vibration. The amplifier tested well for THD and SNR, etc. on mine when I tested it - in fact surprisingly low noise for something so cheap. The only thing I find them a bit lacking is bass performance which especially is a bit anaemic when compared to the depth and extension of higher end professional studio monitors and suffers a lot if they don't have good clearance from nearby walls (which also impacts their overall performance).

I've been a long time JBL fanboy and had a ridiculously expensive KeF setup at one point in my life before common sense got the better of me so I'm not ignorant of what higher end setups can do - but these hang in there pretty well and perfectly adequate for desktop use (albeit not ideal if you don't have the space to accommodate them - hence why they moved the port on the newer variants).

Soldato
Hmm the high end if anything is a little rolled off on mine rather than harsh and never had any problems with cabinet vibration. The amplifier tested well for THD and SNR, etc. on mine when I tested it - in fact surprisingly low noise for something so cheap. The only thing I find them a bit lacking is bass performance which especially is a bit anaemic when compared to the depth and extension of higher end professional studio monitors and suffers a lot if they don't have good clearance from nearby walls (which also impacts their overall performance).

I've been a long time JBL fanboy and had a ridiculously expensive KeF setup at one point in my life before common sense got the better of me so I'm not ignorant of what higher end setups can do - but these hang in there pretty well and perfectly adequate for desktop use (albeit not ideal if you don't have the space to accommodate them - hence why they moved the port on the newer variants).

The cabinet vibration you only notice when you use a better speaker. I have some Yamaha book shelf speakers that are better constructed then the Edifiers, you don't notice these things until you switch speakers out and compare

The amp on them was ok, i'm sure they measured ok, however it does not have the head room of the Prodipes.

If I could put the Prodipes next to the Edifiers then A/B them, you would realise instantly the difference in quality.

Edit, these are the Edifiers i'm referring to.

And these are the Prodipes, there absolutely brilliant for the money, they never get reviewed, remember most of the reviews on YouTube the people doing the review are paid, however no one ever pushes these speakers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The cabinet vibration you only notice when you use a better speaker. I have some Yamaha book shelf speakers that are better constructed then the Edifiers, you don't notice these things until you switch speakers out and compare

The amp on them was ok, i'm sure they measured ok, however it does not have the head room of the Prodipes.

If I could put the Prodipes next to the Edifiers then A/B them, you would realise instantly the difference in quality.

I think possibly there is some varied production quality with these - even at the time people who bought a few months after the initial batch at OcUK seemed to have a more varied experience with them than the impression early purchasers got. You aren't the first person I've seen complain about cabinet vibration with them, but it certainly isn't a problem on mine - the build construction on mine seems solid and I do have other more expensive speakers to compare them to.

I agree the amp doesn't have the headroom of higher end speakers but for average desktop use that is a non-issue really.

Soldato
I think possibly there is some varied production quality with these - even at the time people who bought a few months after the initial batch at OcUK seemed to have a more varied experience with them than the impression early purchasers got. You aren't the first person I've seen complain about cabinet vibration with them, but it certainly isn't a problem on mine - the build construction on mine seems solid and I do have other more expensive speakers to compare them to.

I agree the amp doesn't have the headroom of higher end speakers but for average desktop use that is a non-issue really.

Those Edifiers are good, when I sold mine I considered keeping them, and agreed for average desktop use they are perfectly fine. Without spending big money there is better options however.

Man of Honour
Those Edifiers are good, when I sold mine I considered keeping them, and agreed for average desktop use they are perfectly fine. Without spending big money there is better options however.

To be fair things have moved on a bit since they were launched (and the latest incarnation of them is definitely built to cost and aimed more at consumers). I'm not sure I'd buy even the original version now vs the current options out there if I was buying something new.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Good news, Richer Sounds called mea earlier to confirm that Kef have ready stock of the Q300 main driver and the price is £100 each. Assuming I did keep the Q300s and the slight dent artefacts on the cones did bother me, I could pretty cheaply just buy the new drivers and install them myself.

Soldato
Good news, Richer Sounds called mea earlier to confirm that Kef have ready stock of the Q300 main driver and the price is £100 each. Assuming I did keep the Q300s and the slight dent artefacts on the cones did bother me, I could pretty cheaply just buy the new drivers and install them myself.

At this point you should just flip a coin and let the gods decide your fate, you are stuck firmly in decision paralysis. :D

FWIW, I think the best option for your placement would be LS50 Meta + Sub (save up for that 1.5k KEF tiny little sub :D). R3 would be nice, but if you have issues with bass it will be a bit more of a pain to EQ it down compared to the separate sub.

I also don't think the R3 has the Meta technology in it yet, either.

Soldato
To be fair things have moved on a bit since they were launched (and the latest incarnation of them is definitely built to cost and aimed more at consumers). I'm not sure I'd buy even the original version now vs the current options out there if I was buying something new.

One thing I forgot to mention, the Prodipes are very sensitive to speaker setup. Things like 3-4 degrees different toe angle, or 1 inch of height adjustment on my stands it changes the sounds. The differences are such poor setup makes me want to replace them to being really happy with them. The Edifiers they were also sensitive to setup, but no way like these Prodipes.

Last edited:
Associate
Recently replaced my very old Logitech X540 5.1 with a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2. Really nice speakers and sound great considering the size and no sub.
Then thought a sub might be a good idea as they have a sub out and I certainly missed a bit of bass being used to the sub in the 5.1 setup
Couldn't justify spending as much on the Ruarks again so found a Tibo Harmony Sub 6 reduced from £249 to £89 from Richer, just the right size for the pc and has made a subtle difference once setup.

Soldato
Recently replaced my very old Logitech X540 5.1 with a pair of Ruark MR1 MK2. Really nice speakers and sound great considering the size and no sub.
Then thought a sub might be a good idea as they have a sub out and I certainly missed a bit of bass being used to the sub in the 5.1 setup
Couldn't justify spending as much on the Ruarks again so found a Tibo Harmony Sub 6 reduced from £249 to £89 from Richer, just the right size for the pc and has made a subtle difference once setup.
I used to share a flat with my friend who had the Mark 1s. Lovely little speakers. I'm looking to change up my WFH office audio right now myself. Having flirted with the idea of the Q Acoustic M20s or the Klipsch Heritage ProMedia 2.1 I'm once again leaning towards the Ruark MkIIs. They do everything I need in a smaller package than the others, whilst still sounding great.

Soldato
I used to share a flat with my friend who had the Mark 1s. Lovely little speakers. I'm looking to change up my WFH office audio right now myself. Having flirted with the idea of the Q Acoustic M20s or the Klipsch Heritage ProMedia 2.1 I'm once again leaning towards the Ruark MkIIs. They do everything I need in a smaller package than the others, whilst still sounding great.

Klipsch are quite bright sound speakers so be aware of that.

I recommend q acoustic nice neutral speakers. I would recommend 3020i then use a small amplifier.

With active speakers you're limited with input options. With passive you can little t amp first. Then change to a avr. Then change the avr to new hdmi spec..or add a power amplifier.

You don't have that option with actives.

Back
Top Bottom