What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
SHE LIVES!!!!! :D

Drained the old fuel out. Refilled with fresh V-Power Nitro and added a squirt of Redex Injector cleaner. She started on the second thumb of the starter. After a few seconds she died. So I started her again and the same happened a few more times until she coughed and complained into life. Few pops bangs and wheezes and eventually settled down into a reasonable tickover, if a bit lumpy and rough sounding. Eventually coaxed her up to normal operating temp and let her tick over until the fans came on.

Bloody hell I'm so happy. :D

I'm going to do an oil and filter changed just now whilst I'm on a roll. Will check everything else like tyres, pressures, brakes, lights etc and take her out for a spin tomorrow as I'm going to let the oil drain overnight.

Is it any wonder she wouldn't fire though when you see the fuel that came out of the tank, arrowed is the water settled at the bottom. Disgusting!!!

BgaV5ue.jpg

Soldato
Wow if thats all water (the darker bits) then thats a lot of water in the fuel!

I changed my sidelights for LED bulbs and also replaced the headlights for osram nightbreakers. Took 5 mins to do all 4 bulbs. Much better than my old ZZR that needed the front disassembled to change the bulb....

Soldato
Apparently a higher Ethanol content in modern fuels causes this. I left about half a tank in my Mille for over a year and during that time the bike wasn't started at all, because of the air space above the level of the fuel it evaporates at a ridiculous rate. Hence the amount of water in the fuel. If I had absolutely brimmed the tank and left it then it would more than likely have contained a negligible amount and not affected the starting of the bike.

Won't be making that mistake again come hibernation season later in the year. ;)

Caporegime
yh I didn't think it would break down into water/fuel like that,guess ive been lucky when ive had mine layed up

ive also melted the rectifier wires from thumbing the starter too long trying to get it started (where it joins the loom under the tank)

Soldato
ive also melted the rectifier wires from thumbing the starter too long trying to get it started (where it joins the loom under the tank)

I've blown starter relays doing that! :cool:

Thing with RSV's is if you keep pressing the starter as the volts in the battery go down if you keep plugging away at it you risk breaking the sprag clutch as it kicks backwards when the bike has low volts feeding it. A rather costly fix.

Soldato
are they good those nightbreakers?

I have some really good led sidelights from china I think,pure white light

@dreager I wonder how that water got in there in the firstplace? do you soak your air filter in oil?

They seem okay. Not as white as I'd like, the LED's are just pure white like yours are. Will find out how good they are next time I take it for a night time drive!

Soldato
SHE LIVES!!!!! :D

Drained the old fuel out. Refilled with fresh V-Power Nitro and added a squirt of Redex Injector cleaner. She started on the second thumb of the starter. After a few seconds she died. So I started her again and the same happened a few more times until she coughed and complained into life. Few pops bangs and wheezes and eventually settled down into a reasonable tickover, if a bit lumpy and rough sounding. Eventually coaxed her up to normal operating temp and let her tick over until the fans came on.

Bloody hell I'm so happy. :D

I'm going to do an oil and filter changed just now whilst I'm on a roll. Will check everything else like tyres, pressures, brakes, lights etc and take her out for a spin tomorrow as I'm going to let the oil drain overnight.

Is it any wonder she wouldn't fire though when you see the fuel that came out of the tank, arrowed is the water settled at the bottom. Disgusting!!!

I use wynn's dry fuel after the bikes been asleep over winter..

anyone off to matlock bath, im off there soon for a ride around

Last edited:
Soldato
I use wynn's dry fuel after the bikes been asleep over winter.

Not a bad idea m8, may well chuck some of that in it next time it gets laid up for any period of time.

I've been busy this morning/afternoon. Oil, filter and plugs changed. The K&N filter in my Evoluzione airkit has been thoroughly washed and is drying in the sun just now ready to be re-oiled. Been cleaning all the little nooks and crannies that you never see until you strip the fairing panels off, going a bit OCD to be honest......lol. Have cleaned chain with TF2 and topped up the Scottoiler. Topped up air in tyres, adjusted chain and checked electrics. Once the fairing panels are back on I'm going to wash it, then polish/wax it and then tonight I'll be popping out for a ride while all the Sunday drivers (and PC plod) have gone home for the day. First run in over a year though so I'll be taking it nice and steady until my mojo starts to come back. :D

Caporegime
just finished scraping all the flaky paint n corrosion off my calipers,sprayed them with etch primer and some colour matched gold paint:p

2r6yzaa.jpg

vwc5g.jpg

One

One

Soldato
Changed the gearbox oil, turned out to be a messy job getting a big glug of congealed old stuff in my hair lol.

I also treated the tank with some POR 15 metal treatment last night, dried it fully and put in the POR 15 tank sealer today. Now I have to let it dry for 96 hours lol. If it works though my tank will never have rust in it again :D

Caporegime
They look great. May well do that to my Gold Brembo's if they don't come up good enough when I give them a scrub. I take it you removed them to paint?

I just let them dangle,then masked off the brake line and nipple,took out the pads ect

got the paint from jawel paints £17.50 a can,just sprayed over the tokico letters and scrapped/sanded em back shiny again

Soldato
do em,just take your time,i only used regular matte black paint on my zx6 calipers,no high temp stuff,still looks good

yeah I think i'll do them as a winter project now, I should have done them last week when I had them all off for a service, don't want to take them off again now there all bedded in.
on a side note the Nitron shock is awesome bikes so much better now, a few places I have been I know what the bike was like before and its a lot more settled over the bumps n ripples.

Back
Top Bottom