What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
Today I had some fun

148941_10150992200662790_507152789_11975282_2095965027_n.jpg

Associate
After being stranded again last week with poor battery I cracked out the toolkit and the Haynes manual to make the following jigsaw puzzle..

Fairing off.. battery off.. tank off.. coolant out (damn that comes out with some pressure, made a right old mess).. oil out (looked very clean).. sprocket cover off (discovered what I reckon is 15000 miles worth of roadcrud under there!).. clutch slave/master cylinder thingy off.. crankcase off.. all to get the Alternator Out!

IMAG0070.jpg

So I'll wait for a new one to arrive the put it all back together again.

I also discovered what happens when you over-oil your sponge air filters, and now have to clean burnt oil off the inside of every fairing panel.

Associate
I installed a complete set of crash protectors from GB Racing at the weekend. Went for those rather than R&G so that I didn't have to drill a hole in the fairing. They seem really well made and were reasonably easy to fit.

Soldato
Sorted my insurance(almost anyway). Around €130/month fully comp. Was expecting it to be more to be fair lol. Fully Comp in Germany can be insanely expensive, some places saying around €8k/year for anything over 110bhp..

Associate
Well the turbo bike wasn't ready to be picked up, but I went up there anyway to swap the barrels over!

Got the new pistons on tonight

2012-05-28165757.jpg

Unpacked the new gaskets

2012-05-28165806.jpg

Cleaned everything up and put the barrels on with the help of Tiff, its not a job for one person!

2012-05-28185858.jpg

Not heard back from Wards who are doing the head so ill call in there tomorrow and see on progress, its holding me up now!

Also took the front faring off and cleaned up the frame for painting, it was the one bit I thought was letting the bike down so while its in bits...

:D

Associate
Kicked it, punched it and decided to sell it!

Got a bit carried away on a motorway playing with a Mclaren Mp4.

Paranoid that I could be having an all expenses paid holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure!

Associate
Went for a ride to check out a car for the misses, only 60 miles away so took in some nice roads. The thing is that when I got home I was fumming....with myself, the reasons below:

1. Approching a corner and could see that it was tight so slowed down in plently of time and had the bike settled before the corner, when going around the corner noticed it tighten even more. For some reason I proceeded to roll off the gas which meant I went wider (real close to the center line) had to force myself to keep the throttle still and tried to lean a bit more but found it hard.

2. Just 500 yards from my house is a roundabout, indicated left and turned and 300 yards later realised they were still on. Now there is a left hand turn 150 yards from the roundabout where there are a lot of car crashes for this exact reason! Luckly there was no one turning at the time.

The first one I'm not sure how to resolve as I just rolled off automatically and had a real hard time to stop doing this.

Second one, I think I switched off as I was almost home and feel rather stupid about it but learnt a lesson to not switch off until the bike is!

Soldato
The cornering thing is natural and hard to fight. I have my first run on the track on Thursday, to hopefully learn a little more about cornering. At present, I'm always the slowest round bends :(

Associate
Only just came in from the shed tonight, even forgot about food!!

Pics of tonights progress, picked up a very nice looking head today!

I made sure to give the oil galleries a good blasting out with the air line to remove any material left over from the work, there was a little bit.

2012-05-30154729.jpg

Then fitted, all torqued up and the cams set etc.

2012-05-30193009.jpg

Id just got the cam cover on when I turned round and seen these sitting in the box, possibly quite important so I took the cover off and fitted them!

2012-05-30200512.jpg

A few more bits bolted on while its on the bench, all ready to put in now.

2012-05-30201052.jpg

Few pics from whenever I stood back a little, Suzuki really managed to fit a lot under this tank!!

2012-05-30211403.jpg

2012-05-30220403.jpg

2012-05-30220949.jpg

And this is how she stands now, about 5 1/2 hours spend in it tonight so not bad progress! Just the rad and a few little bits to fit tomorrow and I should be able to fire it up, fingers crossed...

2012-05-30225643.jpg

Im now in need of a shower and sleep, beer first though!
:D

Soldato
They aren't much worse than the stock Gen 1 mirrors, still need to move your elbows to see in them. But then there's never anything much behind me anyway. ;) :p

They are a common mod for early model Mille's as are the wind deflector "ears" on the top fairing which were a pain to fit. The mirrors were fairly simple to add although it did involve drilling additional holes in the top fairing alloy stay.

Associate
Went for a ride to check out a car for the misses, only 60 miles away so took in some nice roads. The thing is that when I got home I was fumming....with myself, the reasons below:

1. Approching a corner and could see that it was tight so slowed down in plently of time and had the bike settled before the corner, when going around the corner noticed it tighten even more. For some reason I proceeded to roll off the gas which meant I went wider (real close to the center line) had to force myself to keep the throttle still and tried to lean a bit more but found it hard.

2. Just 500 yards from my house is a roundabout, indicated left and turned and 300 yards later realised they were still on. Now there is a left hand turn 150 yards from the roundabout where there are a lot of car crashes for this exact reason! Luckly there was no one turning at the time.

The first one I'm not sure how to resolve as I just rolled off automatically and had a real hard time to stop doing this.

Second one, I think I switched off as I was almost home and feel rather stupid about it but learnt a lesson to not switch off until the bike is!

Nothing you can do about the second one , just a lapse in concentration that hopefully you wont repeat ;).

The first one is a survival instinct. To understand it more and how to address it I would suggest you read - A Twist Of The Wrist (Vol 1 & 2) by Keith Code. This will let you understand what happens to the bike when you roll off and why you do it.

Should be renamed the bikers bible in my opinion :D

Back
Top Bottom