What did you do to your bike today?

Man of Honour
Looking good, indicators look much nicer.

I tightened my chain, fitted a stahlbus speed bleeder to my rear caliper so it matches my fronts and bled the rear brake. Although it still feels next to useless :cry:
Oil change is on the list for tomorrow.

Associate
Although technically it was yesterday but I sold my SV650.
Bought it in 2019 and sold it for the exact same amount in 2022. Couldn't turn that down and most of the miles are from commuting to work, on Friday I was offered a new job which is 100% remote so seemed like the right time to sell.
Not sure what I want to replace it with just yet but I think I'll hold off until after Xmas, then get something just for weekend blasts.

Soldato
Treated my K1300S to some Ilmberger carbon goodness :D

IMG-2004.jpg

Also fitted one of these Oxford Throttle Cruise things as I've been getting slight cramp in the wrist and fingers on long runs with constant cruising throttle openings. Was under a tenner and at first I was sceptical that it would be any good. Takes a bit of getting used to but I'm sold on it now!! Works brilliantly!

IMG-2005.jpg

Soldato
So far so good with the Oxford Throttle Cruise thingy. I've got totally used to it being there after just a few rides and can definitely say it makes a huge difference to comfort on longer rides for literally a few quid.

So today I fitted some carbon bling :D in the form of a battery and tank cover. Added a carbon tankpad that I sourced from a seller in Spain to protect it from scratches.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Soldato
Crashed her :(

Filtering about 4 minutes from home, and I either didn't see the car indicating, or they just banged it one and moved as I was alongside them - but me and the bike ate a helping of Land Rover.

Stupid mistake, easily avoided, but alas - these things happen!

Currently back home waiting for the painkillers to kick in, nothing broken and the paramedics were happy; so unless anything happens in the next 24-48 hours, it's just aches and pride that are lasting.

Bike recovered via my breakdown to my home, she cracked an engine case so dumped all my brand new oil on the highway. Hoping I can just call my insurers and tell them I want a specific garage to do the work on my fully comp, with no claims company appointed....

Not the weekend ride I envisaged, but could have been a lot worse if I sped in 30s I'm sure.

Caporegime

Filtering about 4 minutes from home, and I either didn't see the car indicating, or they just banged it one and moved as I was alongside them - but me and the bike ate a helping of Land Rover.

Currently back home waiting for the painkillers to kick in, nothing broken and the paramedics were happy; so unless anything happens in the next 24-48 hours, it's just aches and pride that are lasting.

Bike recovered via my breakdown to my home, she cracked an engine case so dumped all my brand new oil on the highway. Hoping I can just call my insurers and tell them I want a specific garage to do the work on my fully comp, with no claims company appointed....

Not the weekend ride I envisaged, but could have been a lot worse if I sped in 30s I'm sure.

Damn, sorry dude, that sucks!

At least you're ok though, the rest can be fixed / replaced. Close call, hopefully a lesson learned!

Associate

Bad luck mate. Obvs don't know the details, but indicating or not shouldn't make any difference- the car shouldn't manoeuvre to impede or obstruct another vehicle, even if you're filtering.

Get well soon, bet they write it off though- more money for them if they give you a pittance and flog the carcass. They did that when a Land Rover driver (at fault) collected my MT-09. The only damage was broken footpegs and a small dent on the tank. My bar end minced the whole side of the car though.... Bought it back and fixed it up and ended up quids in all told. Good luck!

Associate
Oh balls. I scanned back a couple of pages to have a look at your machine, that's a tragedy :(

Glad to hear you're in one piece, although as I always say, "injuries heal, repairs have to be paid for". With all my titanium parts, I think I qualify for both though :p

Soldato
Oh balls. I scanned back a couple of pages to have a look at your machine, that's a tragedy :(

Glad to hear you're in one piece, although as I always say, "injuries heal, repairs have to be paid for". With all my titanium parts, I think I qualify for both though :p
She'll be grand, will no doubt hear from Bennetts tomorrow, to discuss my claim - I'm pretty sure I can refuse to use an appointed claims company, and instead elect to have a garage of my choosing carry out repair under my FC insurance; if they try to argue, I might speak to White Dalton for a bit of help.

Not been out to the garage to look at her today, literally the only body parts that aren't hurting, are my face and toes! Feels like that bit from Raiders of the Lost Ark :cry:

Noticed the local rag had run a piece on the accident, and a witness claimed the car I hit, was trying to avoid an old person in the road - not sure how accurate that is, as I believed that I simply chose a poor place to filter (past a turning on the right). Might need to mention this to my insurers, as they can probably get bus dashcam footage near the incident.

Hoping the claim goes 50/50, but prepared for it to go against me - I have protected NCB and my last fault claim was nearly 12 years ago so....

Soldato
She'll be grand, will no doubt hear from Bennetts tomorrow, to discuss my claim - I'm pretty sure I can refuse to use an appointed claims company, and instead elect to have a garage of my choosing carry out repair under my FC insurance; if they try to argue, I might speak to White Dalton for a bit of help.

Not been out to the garage to look at her today, literally the only body parts that aren't hurting, are my face and toes! Feels like that bit from Raiders of the Lost Ark :cry:

Noticed the local rag had run a piece on the accident, and a witness claimed the car I hit, was trying to avoid an old person in the road - not sure how accurate that is, as I believed that I simply chose a poor place to filter (past a turning on the right). Might need to mention this to my insurers, as they can probably get bus dashcam footage near the incident.

Hoping the claim goes 50/50, but prepared for it to go against me - I have protected NCB and my last fault claim was nearly 12 years ago so....
Well, still no progress!

I reported the accident to Bennetts as soon as I got home on the day - being a weekend, I guess I just spoke to a call center in India, as they "logged it and someone would call back". On the 13th I heard from someone who I thought was Bennetts, as I had to go through the ins and outs of the accident - and they gave me two options 1. to go through their claims team, or 2. I could claim off of my FC insurance; I chose the latter as over the last year or so I had been watching some of the White Dalton features on 44Teeth's YT channel - and didn't want to go falling into any possible traps.

Anyway a couple of emails followed this, and it turned out the person who called was actually from 4th Dimension - they said that they had logged my claim, and that was now being passed over to my actual insurer/underwriter...

After hearing literally nothing for a week from anyone, I called the insurer/underwriter directly and they had no claim for me logged!! I had to run through everything over the phone again, but the lady I spoke to was a great help, and also told me they would go for 100% liability against the other driver; as the recent highway code changes meant that the driver ought to have been more aware of their surroundings for vulnerable road users when crossing the center of the road. Though I still expect this is just the default position for both insurers - as I still think it'll go 50/50 at best.

Anyway, my chosen garage was approved and the bike was due to be collected for assessment last week - but sadly the guy got COVID, so I am now waiting to hear when he can next fit me in.

As for me - I had to go the GP in the end, as pain management with over the counter meds was doing nothing whatsoever - so I have 4 types of strong painkillers now, and the GP confirmed that I have whiplash too; which is why my shoulder and neck muscles often lock solid; but I am slowly getting more sleep, though the bruised/cracked ribs mean I end up on my back all night snoring! The wife has made me sleep in the guest room on a few occasions now :D

Stupidly, I (for whatever reason) didn't take out helmet and leathers cover - so I am hoping that I will have an avenue to claim for these from the other party, as it's nearly a grand's worth of kit - and though I would usually re-use some of it; when I had a consultation with White Dalton, the guy said that kit is designed to be crashed in once, so to claim for everything that was damaged. I never even considered that, but it makes sense.

I guess I'm being impatient and the wheels aren't going to move much without the garage's quote for repairs - it's not like I'm in any fit state to ride (or even drive) at the moment, so I better just sit on my hands and wait...

Here's hoping it's either 100% the drivers fault and I can claim back everything (repairs, kit, recover and excess) or it goes 50/50 and I can still claim for the bits listed - I also think I will go the personal injury route too; I felt like a fraud claiming for it back in 2008 after getting hit, but it's been a real pain in the **** this time, having constant pain in my ribs, neck and shoulders has meant I'm pretty useless with helping care for my toddler and I haven't slept too well since the crash - though the diazepam are slowly helping with that.

Associate
I say go for 100%. Filtering is legal, and it's the driver's responsibility to check before changing lanes. Indicators don't even enter into it- it's a means to advertise intent, not a device to automatically authorise the driver to manouevre.

You've done the right thing- 4th Dimension are a nightmare. They would have taken your bike away for an estimate, made up excuses about taking so long, then offered you a hire bike with the "Go on, get your confidence back, it doesn't cost you anything!" spiel. Then they would have then passed on outrageous storage and bike hire fees to the other party, and if no luck, eventually to you. I fell into this trap because as you say, they don't tell you who they are, preferring you to think they're your broker's claims department. Luckily mine was an open/shut case* (although my gut feeling is yours is too!)

* Car pulled directly across my path with no indication and from the wrong lane. As it was a hire car, didn't stop the hire company trying to pin it 100% on me though!

Soldato
I say go for 100%. Filtering is legal, and it's the driver's responsibility to check before changing lanes. Indicators don't even enter into it- it's a means to advertise intent, not a device to automatically authorise the driver to manouevre.

You've done the right thing- 4th Dimension are a nightmare. They would have taken your bike away for an estimate, made up excuses about taking so long, then offered you a hire bike with the "Go on, get your confidence back, it doesn't cost you anything!" spiel. Then they would have then passed on outrageous storage and bike hire fees to the other party, and if no luck, eventually to you. I fell into this trap because as you say, they don't tell you who they are, preferring you to think they're your broker's claims department. Luckily mine was an open/shut case* (although my gut feeling is yours is too!)

* Car pulled directly across my path with no indication and from the wrong lane. As it was a hire car, didn't stop the hire company trying to pin it 100% on me though!
I would love it to go 100% in my favor, but [a possible] issue is that both myself and the car driver have the same insurer - so I'm wondering if there might be some skullduggery along the way... I'm sure it's been mentioned here or in Motors before. Maybe they'll try and keep costs down or something, I don't know... maybe I'm just reading too much into it :D

Yeah, thankfully one of the YT videos I watched highlighted the dangers of courtesy bikes, that actually turned out to be hire agreements that people ended up being liable for. There was also something about people being charged £20+ a day for storage - my house was probably less than a mile away, so I just got the old girl recovered back to my garage. And although my breakdown cover are billing for that recovery - it is aparently being sorted by my insurer/underwriter.

One thing that does have me a bit puzzled at the moment - my policy with Bennetts has legal cover, 4th Dimension also confirmed that, but when I spoke to the actual insurer/underwriter; they said I don't have legal cover.... so put me in touch with some legal outfit in Bristol, but after looking at their reviews online, I don't think I'd trust them to fight a parking ticket for me - let alone my expenses and uninsured losses! So I might need to have a chin wag about that, as I'd rather someone a but more competant take my case - it's a shame White Dalton charge so much (their words lol), as it sounds like they would get it all sorted pretty sharpish.

Back
Top Bottom