• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Associate
Yeah, it depends from where the limitation comes exactly. However, with the 4xxx from what I've saw, you can save a power by limiting your fps or just the power draw itself without much performance loss.

quick example: about 55% power saved for 45% loss. This is by default, no custom tuning. Oh, an a bit of saving of the CPU, of course.

That's correct, my 4090 is running on 85% power limit and I haven't seen any noticeable performance loss aside few points in various benchmarks. But in my case CPU is the limiting factor in most cases, not the GPU. Waiting for new x3D to finally unleash the beast fully. :)

Associate
The monitoring software has to be accurate as it reads the same sensors that graphics card does to manage itself.
As a side note, as it gets hotter, I wouldn't want to be with a 4090 + a heavy clocked power hungry CPU pulling another 200w or so just by itself.
That's something I well experienced already. And that's with CPU that uses very little power (it's under curve optimiser). I can imagine how it would be on full power - I already barely used any heating in winter in the same room. And Aircon in this country is a rarity still.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7900 XTX has the same sort of PCB, the same 384 Bit IMC and the same 24 GB as the 4090, its 80% the performance of the 4090 for 80% the power.
7900XTX don’t use 80% of the power though it uses the same if not more power. The 4090 may have a TDP of 450w but in gaming it’ll only use an average of 350w.

Soldato
79_XTX_power.png

My 4070 can be undervolted (might blow some minds here)but the XTX undervolts too.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Does anyone run a 4090 at stock voltage though? It's either always power limited or undervolted, either case the card's never exceed 380 watts worst case scenario and typically hover around 330 watts in games if the GPU is pegging 99%. That is of course in full path traced games, anything normal RT/raster is even lower. My 4090 draws less power than the 3080 Ti FE.

Suspended
Does anyone run a 4090 at stock voltage though? It's either always power limited or undervolted, either case the card's never exceed 380 watts worst case scenario and typically hover around 330 watts in games if the GPU is pegging 99%. That is of course in full path traced games, anything normal RT/raster is even lower. My 4090 draws less power than the 3080 Ti FE.

Does anyone run anything stock voltage?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
12700KF, so idles at 4W browsing the web, 104W max in UE5 games using DLAA with a general average at the end of the day of about 50W. So rather efficient if I say so myself.

Man of Honour
Dunno how this conversation has got onto power, but my 14700K w/ 4080 Super setup is nothing like as terrible power wise for gaming you'd think from the comments of some posters, without any undervolting.

Man of Honour
so idles at 4W browsing the web

If I mess about with power saving, etc. idle wattage on my 14700K is LOL, even light web browsing:

kXPeFHh.png

Normally for light desktop use with lots of tabs on FF, Spotify and Steam running, etc. it is sitting about 7-8 watt (without any special power saving measures or undervolting).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom