• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Caporegime
I can't remember where i said it but i'm working on something in UE 5.3 with some Ray Tracing.

I've just finished grey-boxing out the basic cavern / cave enclosure, this already took quite a lot of hours as i was figuring out the a workable way to do it, the ceiling for example is serval rock types painted extremely densely along the contours of the terrain above, yes its subterranean, its using the foliage paint tool, instead of painting foliage i painted rocks, the way i got it to paint under the terrain along its cantors was to use a setting option that allows whatever you're painting to sit a little in the terrain, i set it so high that it painted under the terrain :D its not visible from the surface and it gives a nice carved out look from the inside, or at least it will once i've added all the detail, along with the detail in the rest of the space.

The ceiling is made of of about 400,000 individual rocks, think's to Nanite that's possible at all and with minimal performance loss.

The second image is the scale of the map, it all needs filling out...

L7LgybB.jpeg

0Oys3eJ.jpeg

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
From the CP2077 thread, may as well copy paste I guess:

I did my most comprehensive test with Raster vs RT vs PT comparing DLSS Balanced vs DLAA. All but DLAA also compared Ray reconstruction on vs off, and keep in mind that RR is only possible if using DLSS, not DLAA or any other AA implementation, as it uses the upscaling part of the tensor cores to do what it does. It's pretty clear that Ray Reconstruction is the technology to have for improved image clarity as well as lighting and shadow definition whether you are ray traced or path traced and to some degree, even raster as the toggle was available in raster too strangely.

Comparison:

You guys decide which combo of tech looks the best.

Note that:
- Ray Reconstruction offers better details/shadows and reflections than all examples with RR off
- DLSS Balanced offers better quality texture detail and sharpness than native (DLAA). Both DLSS and DLSS were set to the same 0.45 sharpness
- The fps cost using DLAA path traced at 3440x1440 vs DLSS Balanced is exactly 50% - Remember no RR possible with DLAA too.

So what this shows (the same applies to Alan Wake too and all other games that use or will use Ray Reconstruction) is that if you want the best visual quality as well as performance combo, then you need to be using Ray Reconstruction. The exact same findings apply at 5160x2160 using DLSS Performance, just the framerate numbers scale relative to the increase in rendered pixel workload.

At 1080p there isn't enough internal pixel data to upscale all the details that 1440p or greater has, so you lose definition in areas of subtle shadow/lighting. 1440p or above is the point to aim for.

Ray Reconstruction also has a 10fps uplift in this game, other games may vary.

All dll versions for each of the 3 techs used are v 3.7.10 (3.7.0 for RR) using Preset E.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't remember where i said it but i'm working on something in UE 5.3 with some Ray Tracing.

I've just finished grey-boxing out the basic cavern / cave enclosure, this already took quite a lot of hours as i was figuring out the a workable way to do it, the ceiling for example is serval rock types painted extremely densely along the contours of the terrain above, yes its subterranean, its using the foliage paint tool, instead of painting foliage i painted rocks, the way i got it to paint under the terrain along its cantors was to use a setting option that allows whatever you're painting to sit a little in the terrain, i set it so high that it painted under the terrain :D its not visible from the surface and it gives a nice carved out look from the inside, or at least it will once i've added all the detail, along with the detail in the rest of the space.

The ceiling is made of of about 400,000 individual rocks, think's to Nanite that's possible at all and with minimal performance loss.

The second image is the scale of the map, it all needs filling out...

L7LgybB.jpeg

0Oys3eJ.jpeg

You can also have a look at the below and try it out (not sure about the cost). It seems similar to how you "dig" in the "earth" in No Man Sky. Plus is really, really cool! :D

Moreover, maybe give a try to the procedural content generation feature. See if it helps getting things done quicker.

Caporegime
You can also have a look at the below and try it out (not sure about the cost). It seems similar to how you "dig" in the "earth" in No Man Sky. Plus is really, really cool! :D

Moreover, maybe give a try to the procedural content generation feature. See if it helps getting things done quicker.

Yeah, i have some procedural volumes set up but before i drop them in i prefer to make all the points of interest so i can work the volume around them.

Thank's for the Video, i spend a lot of time watching UE videos as i have a lot to learn. :)

Back
Top Bottom