• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

I am someone who has never bought nor owned an Nvidia GPU. I've always gone Radeon. No particular reason really just prefer them.

Don't feel I've ever missed out on anything either. Though note being able to run the RTX remix stuff is a pain. But RT performance on my current card is good and if I use RT then I run at 1080p to get the best from it. Rather than my usual 1440p. Still hotting 70-100fps from most recent games with RT on.

TBH in reality there isn't that much between them anymore. AMD has a nicer GUI and option so you don't need 3rd party programs to do stuff. Geforce has the edge with RT for now.

I prefer AMD as well now, because I have had a lot less issues with them and AMD support in Linux is far better. All of the Geforce cards I've owned lasted 2-3 years before developing issues.

Last edited:
RT isn't the be all to how good a game can look. In fact I just think it's way over tuned in games at this moment in time. It reminds me of physX years ago just way overtuned effects to showcase the technology.

I would argue that best looking games on PC are not even using RT. The new release from Sony Astro Bot zero RT and it looks amazing.

TBH in reality there isn't that much between them anymore. AMD has a nicer GUI and option so you don't need 3rd party programs to do stuff. Geforce has the edge with RT for now.

I prefer AMD as well now, because I have had a lot less issues with them and AMD support in Linux is far better. All of the Geforce cards I've owned lasted 2-3 years before developing issues.

Driver and control panel in general, both are much the same, I feel like driver wise, Nvidia have more functionality though even just around things such as aa options, especially when you use nvidia profile inspector, there is a whole load of things to tweak if you wish too.....

Feature set wise, imo, it's not even close, Nvidia have the better and more important stuff like dldsr (especially when combined with dlss) and the main must have for me, rtx HDR, too many games where there is no HDR support or it's poorly implemented. Even reflex has become a bit of a must have for me now, it never used to be much of a factor this but in the case of once human, the latency without reflex is awful for some reason despite fps being high.

RT isn't the be all to how good a game can look. In fact I just think it's way over tuned in games at this moment in time. It reminds me of physX years ago just way overtuned effects to showcase the technology.

I would argue that best looking games on PC are not even using RT. The new release from Sony Astro Bot zero RT and it looks amazing.

What do you mean "over tuned"? There is no such thing as overtuned when it comes to RT, if anything, it is arguable that even nvidias non path tracing heavy rt sponsored titles are held back..... In amd sponsored titles, it is heavily reduced such as RT shadows only being cast on trees from one point of light source i.e. the sun or/and RT reflections only being used for puddles and small bodies of water or/and low res. RT which is very obvious in things like resident evil games and avatar.

Non RT games can and do look fantastic but the main and sole reason RT was brought to the gaming space was more for devs to benefit, it is considerably less work for them to implement excellent lighting, reflections etc. without having to bake them in and hand tune for every single scene. Based on the recent gameshow event, I think it is going to become quite rare to see raster only games now especially given UE 5 uptake.....

Last edited:
ray tracing is just a gimmick to sell new cards. 99 percent of gamers turn things like rt off because of performance hits. every next new card has a new tech sell that gen. it has to or you wouldnt upgrade.

A gimmick even though it is in countless titles (and games are now providing no fallback to raster either and this will continue but yet still a "gimmick"......) and developers have all stated the benefits for them..... :cry:

Last edited:
A gimmick even though it is in countless titles (and games are now providing no fallback to raster either and this will continue but yet still a "gimmick"......) and developers have all stated the benefits for them..... :cry:
literally no one uses it. so yeah its a gimmick. most people just want the best fps. its the common con with new cards that come out. been like it since gpus came out. one of my favs was the tress fx hair one from amd. turn it on watch your fps go to single digits :p

literally no one uses it. so yeah its a gimmick. most people just want the best fps. its the common con with new cards that come out. been like it since gpus came out. one of my favs was the tress fx hair one from amd. turn it on watch your fps go to single digits :p

Maybe amd users don't use it.... But you'll find a lot of people do use it, more so for single player games.

Either way, it's a pointless debate now, more and more games aren't providing an option to turn it off now and this is only going become more common as evidenced this past year, even some console games aren't providing an off option.

Amds tech usually is a gimmick as they have said themselves before they like open source so they can throw it over the fence and let the community/game Devs run with it but alas in the real world, Devs hate this approach of "figure it out" hence why it usually dies.

I genuinely struggle to see any major difference with it on.
But perhaps something to do with my older age.
Most likely because you play the game and accept the visuals. Those that are focused on the game will do just that play the game. There is a decent difference but when focused its not that important.

Either way, it's a pointless debate now, more and more games aren't providing an option to turn it off now and this is only going become more common as evidenced this past year, even some console games aren't providing an off option.
Not to play devils advocate, but there are about 3 games that enforce some level of ray tracing.

I’m not sure it is a pointless debate, some games look great with RT. Some games look great without making use of RT.

Some people love ray tracing and some people don’t care at all (pretty evident from this thread!).

I would rather play at native 1440p at 120fps and above than use upscaling in order to use RT. That was true when I had a 3070, it’s true now when I have a 7900XT.

But that’s just me - and I can totally understand why you and many others love RT. As I’m sure you can understand why others don’t care either way about it.

Last edited:
Maybe amd users don't use it.... But you'll find a lot of people do use it, more so for single player games.

Amds tech usually is a gimmick as they have said themselves before they like open source so they can throw it over the fence and let the community/game Devs run with it but alas in the real world, Devs hate this approach of "figure it out" hence why it usually dies.
anything arguing about on the internets is pointless tbh.they all are a gimmick ray tracing for eg on majority of games can introduce upto 50 percent performance hit which is why people turn it off.
:p

He is correct. PC is mainly online gaming against others where visuals don't help much. PC is not sp big graphics in the main so yea it's turned off as it don't help. Most pc's are not even console quality. In this forums though where you guys do play aaa or big indie games then visuals rt matter. You should always know you are very much in the minority.

Not to play devils advocate, but there are about 3 games that enforce some level of ray tracing.

I’m not sure it is a pointless debate, some games look great with RT. Some games look great without making use of RT.

Some people love ray tracing and some people don’t care at all (pretty evident from this thread!).

I would rather play at native 1440p at 120fps and above than use upscaling in order to use RT. That was true when I had a 3070, it’s true now when I have a 7900XT.

But that’s just me - and I can totally understand why you and many others love RT. As I’m sure you can understand why others don’t care either way about it.

You're forgetting UE 5 games where lumen is used, it is software based now instead of hardware based but still RT at the end of the day and there are a lot of UE 5 games out now..... On console and games which aren't RT based, there is metro ee, spiderman 2 and avatar and now outlaws (iirc, all of ubis games are supposedly switching to the snowdrop engine now which is RT only)

It is a pointless debate because like any graphical feature, taa, ao, aa and so on, people cried about it and it has become standard now, same is happening with RT and again it doesn't matter what gamers want, developers as stated want to use it themselves because of the huge benefits it brings to their workflows. It's very obvious to see in recent games with RT too where when RT is off, the raster effects look awful to the point almost like missing reflections entirely.

As already discussed, this whole point of "playing at native" is such a dated and flawed point now. Having played using various high end displays now along with dldsr, dlss, fsr, native resolution is a complete waste and pointless. In terms of IQ:

DLSS quality 4k > 4k native > 4k DLSS performance > 1440p DLDSR + DLSS performace > 1440p dlss quality

You are literally getting a worse graphical and performance experience by insisting to use native res. and lowering graphical settings over using upscaling and cranking up graphical settings such as RT.

I'm not against people who choose whatever but the problem is as myself and likes of Alex from DF and @mrk point out, a lot of the time, it's such flawed logic/reasoning. People say fps is the most important and they don't want to use upscaling/dlss even though it has little to no impact on iq and literally gives more fps yet they say they can't see the difference with rt.....

He is correct. PC is mainly online gaming against others where visuals don't help much. PC is not sp big graphics in the main so yea it's turned off as it don't help. Most pc's are not even console quality. In this forums though where you guys do play aaa or big indie games then visuals rt matter. You should always know you are very much in the minority.

Which is fair if doing pvp. I play sp far more often these days than mp now. Some of the biggest titles recently in terms of sales and player count are SP only though so not sure it's quite the minority like you think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom