• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
With Bethesda Game Studios now owned by Microsoft,they will want it to run reasonably OK on the XBox. So it is in their own interest to at least attempt to optimise the game for AMD hardware. Having said that it will be more likely for RDNA2 based dGPUs,and RDNA3 I am not so sure about.

Edit!!

It wouldn't surprise me the delay to the game is for optimisations for the XBox version!

Have I missed something or what is it that's so impressive with that game? :D

We also went from Intel's 4 cores are enough to 16 cores too thanks to AMD.

Wait what did Intel charge for more than 4 cores back then too ? :cry::rolleyes: Don't forget the motherboards required too for their HEDT Chips...

It was kinda enough though (at least 4c8t). Not that I mind the current crop (although priced quite high), but how many games are pushing those 16 cores? :D
Rich definitely has a bias towards intel and nvidia but tbf to them, they aren't wrong and usually back up their points very well, heck they even stated how they have been impressed with rdna 3 overall including the RT uplift (which other reviewers have generally panned)

Their content especially from Alex outside of the promotional videos is second to none though, they've picked up/identified so many issues that other reviewers just don't have the attention to detail to pick up on, especially regarding #stutterstruggle

"Right now, a RTX 3060 12GB starts at £330 - which is reasonable value - and that's the target to beat, if not for the inevitable 4060 then definitely the 4050."
All it takes is one statement like the above and reputation / trust can be lost.

Soldato
"Right now, a RTX 3060 12GB starts at £330 - which is reasonable value - and that's the target to beat, if not for the inevitable 4060 then definitely the 4050."
All it takes is one statement like the above and reputation / trust can be lost.

For me it was when they "previewed" the 3080 and concluded it was twice as fast as the 2080 at 4K without showing actual test settings and FPS numbers. They knew the numbers they were getting were BS and could not be verified or tested independently, yet published that crap anyway knowing it was misleading.

Edit: But yes, that RTX 3060 statement is pure BS considering you can get a 6650 XT for that, or even a 6700 XT for not much more. The 6700 XT for £50 (or 15%) more, will get you ~40% more raster and similar RT performance at 1080p or 1440p. Now £50 may be make or break for a mid range GPU but the performance difference is substantial.

Last edited:
Soldato
WOW.

"Conflating" Turing"??? :cry:

I'll try and explain one more time, everyone else is getting it by the way so it's totally a "You" problem, you said that Ada price increases were meaningless because " almosteverything has doubled in price" or words to that effect (it provably hasn't by the way, even in the PC space, but as your brain seems to act like a black hole in reverse, repelling any facts or information that come within a dozen light years of it, i'll just leave that here) so how would you account for Turing's exponential increse by Nvidia?

PS - Your last answer that "Turing was crap so I skipped it" - only went to further prove that you haven't got a clue what you are talking or that you have any understanding of the topic at hand.

;)
Why do I need to account for nvidias price increase? LOL, ask Jensen, why the heck are you asking me? I still dont get what your point is and neither does anybody else

Soldato
Not really no, so again what you're saying is people should be happy going to work to feed corporate profits for enough money not to starve?

You're making the same defence again!

:cry:

But corps and businesses are entitled to extrme profits just because they make products and provide services? - No-one thinks they're entitled to a high end GPU, people think if they work they should be able to afford a hobby, or some nice things, no-one is talking about Ferrri's and Rolex's so that's a strawman...

LOL! You've just been defending huge price increases and profits by....I really think you're confused.

;)
I think you're reading too much into what I'm saying. I'm not saying people should be happy, I'm just saying that there are things that are expensive and just because you work doesn't mean you're entitled to a thing. Just because someone works and their hobby is working on and racing cars doesn't mean that they should be able to afford the top tier cars. I'm not saying they should be happy they can't afford it.
Just because you have a job doesn't mean you're entitled to be able to buy what you want for the hobby of your choice.

Me believing that doesn't mean I wouldn't like people to be able to afford to do/buy whatever they want.
You're not saying that you want to be able to play games, you could do that on a console, you're saying you want to buy brand new, recently released, high end computer hardware. Do I think that because someone has a minimum wage job (I'm not saying you do) that they should be able to buy a 7950X and RTX 4090? I think it'd be nice if that was the case but I believe it's unrealistic.
Now if we were living in a world where Cristiano Ronaldo was struggling to afford a 4070 Ti then my opinion might be different!

Soldato
The 4960x didnt come out in 2014 but 2013. In 2014 the 5820k was released for 380 euros. Of course you already know that, you are just trying to prove me wrong by...lying. Keep it up :)

Lol, you are helping prove their point and destroy your own. You just showed a 6 core CPU was ~£320 (380 euro back in 2014) and in 2023 you can get a 7600X, or 13600K for less. So CPU prices have actually dropped in nine years, let alone "almost doubled" in two.

Are you still holding that shovel I asked you to put down hours ago? Are you on the clock? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Have I missed something or what is it that's so impressive with that game? :D

Are you already a fan? I need to catchup on the OCUK thread for it :)

It's not Star Citizen but with over 500 developers, 300 actors and 150,000 lines of dialogue, the early rumours suggesting that Starfield is a home run, it could be, possibly be the number 1 PC game for 2023 that's Sci-fi, original IP, an RPG, not a sequel or a re-launched/updated console game (i.e the last of us).

Therefore, its going to be a real battle royal for Nvidia and AMD at every product level but especially the 4070ti because we the OCUK forum is going to be all over it, if its as good as being hinted for this play-testing it atm. Fallout was previously an Nvidia Gameworks title and Skyrim was a mess in the early days so i am not confident about the quality of the engine.

If its not good then, this is a problem for AMD as the other potential candidate 'the day before', uses unreal engine 5 but its an Nvidia partnership title and they will probably gimp it so it works very well on Lovelace and nothing else.

That leaves Naughty Dog and 'The Last Of Us' On PC, it uses Naughty Dog's new PS5 3D engine and Nvidia has not managed to get them to 'kneel before zod' as it were so it might actually show us the 20% difference between the 4070ti and the 7900XT.....or not.

Associate
with over 500 developers, 300 actors and 150,000 lines of dialogue, the early rumours suggesting that Starfield is a home run, it could be, possibly be the number 1 PC game for 2023 that's Sci-fi, original IP, an RPG, not a sequel or a re-launched/updated console game (i.e the last of us).
I'm looking forward to Starfield a lot, but almost exactly the same was said about Cyberpunk.

Universal home run it was not. Don't get sucked into the hype - It may be fantastic, but it's not even finished yet.

Soldato
Not exactly a lot of replayability in cp2077 tbh

I found it very average and had to force myself to finaly finish it. Even with a 2080, then 3080 and now a 4080 I cannot see why anyone uses it as a go to RT showcase. It looks very average graphically even with all RT enabled. Sooooo much pop up.

I found WD:L a far better game graphically.

Soldato
Most stuff nowadays are more expensive than they were 2 years ago. I never specifically mentioned PC components, so wtf are you even on about? But sure, wanna talk about PC components? Those are up as well. Mobos are up, and it's not only the AM5 boards, z690 / z790 and even the old am4 had seen increases. CPUs are also up, last year the 12600k was at around 270€ by this point in time, yet the 13600k is still at around or even over 350.
Limiting it to the last 2 years is nothing more than cherry picking, yes more most stuff nowadays are more expensive than they were 2 years ago, that's how inflation works. However since the invention of the silicon transistor they've been the exception to the rule, it's what Gordon Moore noted way back in 1965, it's why node shrinks are even a thing. As you shrink the node size the cost per transistor falls, it does so because you can fit more transistors into the same area while the cost to manufacture that area increases by a much smaller percentage.

Intel's 4004 cost $400 back in 1971 and contained 2300 transistors, if my maths is right that's 5c per transistor, if node shrinks hadn't reduced the price per transistor we'd be paying millions for GPU's. The point is silicon transistors have not, for the last 50 years, followed the trend of getting more expensive, in fact the polar opposite has been the trend and it's what drove the digital revolution, obviously that not going to continue forever but when Jensen said Moore's law was dead he was talking BS, he was trying to justify the massive price increases, he was trying to muddy the water so people like you would do exactly what you're doing, defend a billion dollar company with 60% profit margins.

Associate
2nd time posting in this thread. I've had a alienware qd oled for a couple of weeks, love it btw. I've also got an LG c2 65" oled. Currently with a 3070. Having a look at 2nd hand prices for my ASUS TUF 3070, they're selling for £430, so if I sold it I'd have paid £150 to own it for 2 years (with warrantee). In my head it makes sense to sell it given how much value it has retained, question is...wtf is there worth buying?
I've seen the 7900 xtx has little to no stock (most models seem to be £150+ over MSRP if in stock) and that the TDP is quite high, as well people on the forum were saying they were having unusually high idle power draw (one user reported 115w idle!). The 4080 12GB, sorry 4070ti, seems like a slap around the face with a penis.

Smooth 4k on my TV would be nice (60fps basically), but seems like the 7900xtx, 4080 or 4090 is needed. 3080 seems like it could be an option? Is that a silly upgrade from a 3070, given that I'd be selling that and receive a new warrantee. Are 3080s actually available for msrp anyway?

I'm honestly lost.

Last edited:
Soldato
For me it was when they "previewed" the 3080 and concluded it was twice as fast as the 2080 at 4K without showing actual test settings and FPS numbers. They knew the numbers they were getting were BS and could not be verified or tested independently, yet published that crap anyway knowing it was misleading.
That was essentially a paid promotion from nvidia although while not an entirely honest showing the 3080 did turn out to be around 70% faster and kept the same price so was an excellent product.

Now we are being told a 4070ti is 2x faster than a 3090ti despite it being the same speed or slower in most independent testing while nvidia pretends that a 3080 doesn't exist yet go and yet market it at the end of the reveal.

Soldato
2nd time posting in this thread. I've had a alienware qd oled for a couple of weeks, love it btw. I've also got an LG c2 65" oled. Currently with a 3070. Having a look at 2nd hand prices for my ASUS TUF 3070, they're selling for £430, so if I sold it I'd have paid £150 to own it for 2 years (with warrantee). In my head it makes sense to sell it given how much value it has retained, question is...wtf is there worth buying?
I've seen the 7900 xtx has little to no stock (most models seem to be £150+ over MSRP if in stock) and that the TDP is quite high, as well people on the forum were saying they were having unusually high idle power draw (one user reported 115w idle!). The 4080 12GB, sorry 4070ti, seems like a slap around the face with a penis.

Smooth 4k on my TV would be nice (60fps basically), but seems like the 7900xtx, 4080 or 4090 is needed. 3080 seems like it could be an option? Is that a silly upgrade from a 3070, given that I'd be selling that and receive a new warrantee. Are 3080s actually available for msrp anyway?

I'm honestly lost.

Keep the 3070, dial the settings down and hopefully wait for this madness to pass.

Soldato
That was essentially a paid promotion from nvidia although while not an entirely honest showing the 3080 did turn out to be around 70% faster and kept the same price so was an excellent product.

Now we are being told a 4070ti is 2x faster than a 3090ti despite it being the same speed or slower in most independent testing while nvidia pretends that a 3080 doesn't exist yet go and yet market it at the end of the reveal.

Agreed the 3080 on price/perf over previous gen was excellent. Though that doesn’t make the DF shills less shilly.

As for the 4070Ti we are meant to accept…

- It gives 3090Ti like performance for half the price as if that is a high bar.

- That it should not be compared on price/perf against the 3070Ti it has “replaced”.

- That the price is fine because “some people have no other option”.

- That the 4070Ti being 30% more expensive than a 3080 but only 15% faster is “progress”.

- That the 4070Ti should not be judged for clearly beginning to choke at 4K because it’s really only a 1440p card anyway.

- That having 3090Ti or 3090 RT performance is crap when it’s AMD, but great for the 4070Ti.

Last edited:
Associate
I have tried the frame insert lark in MSFS and Witcher 3. It does make things smoother but laggier and gives a weird sluggish feel. So I ended up taking it off both games and had a better experience. So 70 FPS in MSFS with low latency on at 4K, felt better than with frame generation on at over 100 FPS.
I tried that on witcher 3 but with a dll mod from nexusmods on a 4090, dialed up everything, and my experience has been different. I don't think I would ever turn that off on the highest settings. I don't have msfs but i should be able to find that out by this weekend..
The experience on a 4070 ti might be different.

Last edited:
Associate
rtx £3080 which i sold for £630, it would not perform @ high settings at 165hz , the rtx 4070ti does it cost me £180 for a far far better card , i dont see the issues with all the hate for the rtx4070ti........perfect card for 1440 gamers .....nothing else available.

I've just upgraded from a RX5700XT to a 4070ti. Originally I was going to (and did) buy a 3080 but coming from the 5700 the price difference between the 3080 and 4070t was close enough for me to send the 3080 back. I won't be upgrading for 5+ years and game a 1440p.

I would have been happy with the 3080 but for me the 4070ti was the better option.
Hey did you get an opportunity to check out frame gen on witcher 3 or msfs. Your thoughts?

Soldato
Lol, you are helping prove their point and destroy your own. You just showed a 6 core CPU was ~£320 (380 euro back in 2014) and in 2023 you can get a 7600X, or 13600K for less. So CPU prices have actually dropped in nine years, let alone "almost doubled" in two.

Are you still holding that shovel I asked you to put down hours ago? Are you on the clock? :D
Strawman galore.
I get it, you cant argue with what im saying, so you argue with what Im not. Keep it up

Soldato
when Jensen said Moore's law was dead he was talking BS, he was trying to justify the massive price increases, he was trying to muddy the water so people like you would do exactly what you're doing, defend a billion dollar company with 60% profit margins.
Im not defending anything but common sense. I don't care about Jensen and his profit margins, all I care about is that the 4070ti is a better and cheaper product than the 7900xt. And to use your own argument, that's exactly what Lisa wants you to do, to defend a billion dollar company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom