• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Caporegime
Pretty similar in performance, one is cheaper, has more features, lower power draw and no issues with video playback and similar shaenanigans with multimonitors etc. I wonder which one is the better product :D

The 7900XT is 10% better in RT and in Raster, they also cost about the same as they all have a fake MSRP, look at the actual pricing, the 4070Ti might be 20 or £30 cheaper on average.

They are all way over priced but don't for a second pretend the 4070Ti is better value.

Soldato
Well im pretty sure from a business side of view both amd and nvidia know what they are doing, The thing is, nvidia can charge more because their products usually aren't released in prealpha stage. So it's very infuriating seeing AMD releasing these kinds of products while asking for more money. I have no issue with the XTX, assuming the issues it has get sorted out, it's a competitive product for people that don't care about anything else but raster. But the XT is a laughable joke imo
Just so everyone's on the same page, and feel free to correct me, the last goodness knowns how many pages since you entered the discussion can be summarised as...

OP: What do you think of the 4070Ti, is it worth buying...
Everyone: Like all GPU's it's terrible value for money but depending on usage, rasterisation vs RT, what resolution you're targeting, you maybe better off with the 7900XT.
You: No, no, no. The 4070Ti is a much better product, the far superior product, raster is a tie / even goes to the 4070Ti, it's much cheaper, way less smelly, miles better, *insert hyperbole and superlatives here*, and the 7900XT is an awful product.

Soldato
Just so everyone's on the same page, and feel free to correct me, the last goodness knowns how many pages since you entered the discussion can be summarised as...

Everyone: Like all GPU's it's terrible value for money but depending on usage, rasterisation vs RT, what resolution you're targeting, you maybe better off with the 7900XT.
You: No, no, no. The 4070Ti is a much better product, the far superior product, raster is a tie / even goes to the 4070Ti, it's much cheaper, way less smelly, miles better, *insert hyperbole and superlatives here*, and the 7900XT is an awful product.
No.
EVERYONE : 4070ti is a terrible product and nvidia should be ashamed of themselves
ME : It's still much better than the product it's competing against.

Soldato
Yeah, the price difference is closer to 5% in terms of available cards, and the RT difference is surprisingly small in many cases judging from reviews. Neither card is priced well.
That is just not true. I know I cant link stuff - but there is a very well know webpage that tracks prices almost all across Europe. Go check it, the 7900xt is 110€ more expensive than the 4070ti. That's a 12% price difference.

Soldato
At a sacrifice of 50% higher power draw. That's like having two jokers in your hand and playing them. You can't blow the power budget again on the next gen. And then there was the power spike issue beyond the 320W power draw.

I'm not saying the 3080 wasn't excellent and what the market (overall) wanted. Too many people here pre-ordered on day 1 at £700+ just before the mining boom and never got their card. Polls have shown power efficiency to be the 2nd lowest priority of participants after ray-tracing. So its not hard to see why the posters on this thread have reacted as they have. But the 4070ti has some strengths.
The power draw was high because nvidia pushed it to the max to beat the 6800XT, you could restrict it to the same 215w of the 2080 and it would have still been over 50% faster.

Caporegime
Be honest who do you love more intel or Nvidia?
Knowing Bencher Intel for sure, but his disdain for AMD will mean he'll happily go into bat for Nvidia if needed. :cry:

5PXoSoj.gif
Credit to Bencher though, he's at least made the thread amusing if nothing else.

Last edited:
Associate
I too ended up purchasing a 4070ti. This was my user case.

GPU was a 1080ti, I was hampered to med to high settings in the majority of games at 1440p and my monitor is 144hz capable of which I was starting to see mostly below 90 FPS. I wanted to upgrade at the 30XX series but wasn't willing to pay the absurd prices and had resided to holding on.

I allowed myself £900 to spend on the upgrade. I didn't want a second hand GPU either. It was effectively between the 7900XT and the 4070ti. The previous gen cards are all still either more expensive, not available or the performance is not equal.

To further add, my 750W PSU would have required an immediate upgrade of roughly £150 if I was to choose the 7900XT. Also a slight consideration was the continuing increase in energy costs. The 4070ti provides roughly equal perf at a lower power draw. I know you can undervolt the 7900XT but the same can be done for the 4070ti.

In the end I paid msrp, £799 for a palit 4070ti and sold the 1080ti last night for £200. This has given me a good starter for the rest of the upgrades.

My current played game of MW2 is now running a lot more smoothly at much higher graphics and FPS.

What I'm still not content with is the price. It was just too much but I personally wanted to upgrade my gaming experience and my options were limited. I don't have access to the MM so there were no reliabley good second hand GPUs available to me at the prices quoted in this thread. I was still going to have to spend around the same amount I spent to get an older gen GPU with less perf and more power draw.

A no brainer this was for me the best upgrade choice. If I had owned a 30XX series I would not have upgraded.
So how would you quantify the upgrade? Can you share your experience with more esoteric features like frame gen? Will you be still targeting 1440p or considering an upgrade?

Soldato
:cry: Knowing Bencher Intel for sure, but his disdain for AMD will mean he'll happily go into bat for Nvidia if needed.

5PXoSoj.gif
Of course I like Intel after the release of alderlake, since they gave us great products at great pricing. If they return to their old skylake days, ill stop liking them, what's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom