• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Ignoring the whole cards are more expensive this gen argument.

It just needed to be $800 in the first place. I can't see how it was acceptable to be only $100 below the 7900XTX unless they knew the latter would never in reality be $999.

What's then happened is they've given the space for nvidia to undercut them on launch. The 7900xtx was positioned correctly at $200 below the 4080 and look how it is selling.

Depends on the country.

7900xtx is the same price as the 4080 at best and for good models more expensive it is a pointless card in the UK.

Doesn't make sense to pay the same or more for a 7900xtx over a 4080 and this is coming from someone who was going to buy one.

I think if the 4070ti was around 700 I may have jumped but this entire generation the prices are just messed up.

Actually putting me off gaming lol

Soldato

Since the Gamerock 4090 OC Palit have done a bait-and-switch on the quality of the PCB components vs 30x0 series. These newer 40x0 Palits PCB's have the worst components of any Nvidia card.

Can't wait to see the Buildzoid breakdown of this turkey.

Buy a TUF instead.

Soldato
Since the Gamerock 4090 OC Palit have done a bait-and-switch on the quality of the PCB components vs 30x0 series. These newer 40x0 Palits PCB's have the worst components of any Nvidia card.

Buy a TUF instead.
Actually its not the worst 4090, there are many that are worse, for example gigabyte windfury. But i agree, its a huge letdown compared to the 3090.

Soldato
Yea because Cryptocurrencies didn't exist before Eth according to you, give me a break, you were just as bad with reading comprehension on the Hexus forums, you've learnt nothing.

What information would you like honey bun. :D What I've already posted pretty much covers it, maybe you'd like to try reading it before replying next time.

Thank you for proving you talk ****; i mention BTC but you ignore it; i state, clearly that ETH gpu mining wasnt really a thing in 2016 as ETH was barely a year old at that time and yet Nvidia were already at 58% profit and the BTC bull run hadnt started either but as usual you ignore that (BTC mining on gpu ended before ETH had even been created). All with the evidence , shown, yet you ignore . Still the Hexus troll you always were pretending to have a clue yet, as allways, when challenged go on teh ad hominem.

Associate
I suspect nothing short of Zeus coming down from Mt Olympus and telling them personally will convince the people who believe cryptocurrency is not what's pushed up the prices of GPUs, however while it's certainly not conclusive it's also no coincidence IMO. If you go further back to when cryptocurrency was not a thing, so before 2010, i think you'll find 10-30% profit margins (IIRC as my google-fu is letting me down on finding details that far back) were the norm.
that wont address the issue.. what you need is a segmental breakup of gross margins..
because enterprise uptake is also more like a recent affair, i think kepler put them on an accelerated trajectory, wasnt it the first gpu with fp64 registers or something?
but i think the entire supercomputing and datacenter gig mustve reached critical mass maybe not before 2015-16.. i dont have the numbers but thats what i estimate from news flow and mgmt commentary
so it is probably not just crypto driving up margins.

edit: lol looks like cuda was first released on June 23 2007.. so maybe i am off the mark by 3-5 years

Last edited:
Soldato

Buy a TUF instead.

Sadly there is worse and yes i'm really annoyed they have done that with the components on the 40 series as the 30 series were some of the best cards out there and even was showing up the strix and tuf cards in benchmarks and the components were ace on them.

Also the video was added because of the conclusion part and the real world pricing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its quite funny when the proof that Nvidia profit margin has been climbing since 2010 - then when it first went over 50% and hasnt dropped since.

herp derp miners huh

Last edited:
Soldato
Its quite funny when the proof that Nvidia profit margin has been climbing since 2010 - then when it first went over 50% and hasnt dropped since.

herp derp miners huh

That's not from gaming GPU's though, is it? As far as I know most of nvidias income is not from the gaming segment

Soldato
That's not from gaming GPU's though, is it? As far as I know most of nvidias income is not from the gaming segment

I'd say GPUs cause the key margin fluctuations due to crypto since 2017.

GPU revenue halved in a year to $1.5bn. Datacenter revenue increased 31% to $3.8bn.

Last edited:
Associate
i think nvidia's gaming operating margins must be higher than those reported by enterprise BU but GMs are reversed.. thats because the enterprise biz must be absorbing higher than proportionate fixed costs, which looks like a reasonable scenario

Last edited:
Soldato
that wont address the issue.. what you need is a segmental breakup of gross margins..
because enterprise uptake is also more like a recent affair, i think kepler put them on an accelerated trajectory, wasnt it the first gpu with fp64 registers or something?
but i think the entire supercomputing and datacenter gig mustve reached critical mass maybe not before 2015-16.. i dont have the numbers but thats what i estimate from news flow and mgmt commentary

edit: lol looks like cuda was first released on June 23 2007.. so maybe i am off the mark by 3-5 years
I don't disagree, it's why i said IMO crypto pushed up prices rather than something like we're only paying higher prices because of it. What i dispute are the lines spouted out by what are essentially the equivalent of flat-earthers, that mining has not contributed to price inflation when anyone with more than no eyes see something like this...

P6smRjol.png.jpg

And can quiet clearly see a correlation between gross profit margins and various cryptocurrency bubbles. While by no means does correlation equal causation but I've yet to read anything close to a viable alternative reason for what looks like a profile picture of Everest and Lhotse, instead all we get is herp a derp and logical fallacies so obvious they can be seen from space, like the weak-sauce ohh did you say 60% here's an example of 50%.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Correct. I was crunching with gpu's with the ocuk team on the grid/seti stuff years before crypto was about. The datacentre/science gained traction and began implementing gpu's as they were better at parallel workloads it just needed the people to implement the software to utilise it on the custom platforms. Some people mainly I guess for fun or 'cos they could started using work equipment or went hardcore on it smashing in the compute potential. Whatever cards were about from 2008 onwards could have began to be used for this and there was crossfire/sli for gaming attracting multi gpu purchases too. I cant recall for that decade people complaining even though it was definitely going on before. Maybe they just werent looking hard enough or the data doesnt support the theory.

nvidia kind of caught on when they wanted to by using LHR to throw the spanner in the works they just did it too late. As crypto has been decimated for the best part of a year now it is silly to attest high prices are due to this alone and have to look closer to home to address what is justifying the 2x right now.

Soldato
I don't think anyone is saying matching last year's price/perf is acceptable. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy them. If they weren't released at all, you'd have to buy the older cards with older features.
This starts from the premise that we "have to buy" something in the first place.

Soldato
So you say the RTX 3090 `sucks` in RT? Impressive.
Compared to AMD was great and still is since the red team only now equals it. But it "sucks" against next gen from Nvidia, as in being far behind.

Though that level of performance is relatively fine in RT, depends what you want, but when you have better at about the same price is it worth it?

Last edited:
Soldato
This starts from the premise that we "have to buy" something in the first place.

If you have a 3070 and need better performance, you 'have to buy' a newer card. If you have a 2080 ti and want better performance, you need to buy something.

You don't get performance for free.

If your logic is you don't need to buy something, then the price is completely irrelevant. You shouldn't be buying a new card which will then immediately depreciate if your current card was fine.

Soldato
If you have a 3070 and need better performance, you 'have to buy' a newer card. If you have a 2080 ti and want better performance, you need to buy something.

You don't get performance for free.

If your logic is you don't need to buy something, then the price is completely irrelevant. You shouldn't be buying a new card which will then immediately depreciate if your current card was fine.

I used to be able to buy new gen at similar pricing to its last gen and getting increased performace and not basically adding 2x cost , I could pay the same or even less I paid for CPU I bought 2 years ago to current gen CPU's and massive uplift in performance , same for RAM what I paid for 32gb 3600mhz I can pay the same now and get DDR5 6000 CL30 , same with nvme drive , TV I bought few years ago I can pay the same and get much better TV now

My phone that cost £600 with an snapdragon 888 and now I could pay the same and get one with faster Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 thats even before mentioning the other improvements

So I imagine what I paid last gen for 3080 £650 this gen for the same amount I would get equal , or slightly less or slightly better performance my understanding with technology you get higher performance for around the same cost ?

So by that logic each time they increase performance we have to pay more ?? where does it end ?

Do you not think what they saw happen during peak mining/covid people willing to pay and now trying to make it the norm ? or you really think costs have increased that much ??
b3z55HT.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom