What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Snowman - nonsencial rubbish. It has all the murder mystery genre cliches, the character development is terrible, it's very obvious who the killer is, the plot and pacing are poor. 2/10

Apparently they missed about 20% of the book story out due to time and budget.

Shame as the book is a good read.

Soldato
The shape of water 7.5/10
Very engaging characters and great cinematography from Guillermo del Toro (similar feel to gattaca) , a bit like a cross between Amélie Poulain, and what LaLaLand could have been.
Given this directors pedigree/mastery of creating realsitic 'monsters' without obvious CGI use, in another life, he should have directed Alien franchise.

Soldato
Eye in the sky. Decent I suppose. Bit sickening how all these people have the power to kill and just claim it's a numbers game. I.e 1 life for 80 lives.

Anyone got any opinions on this?

Associate
Mission Impossible: Ghost Nation - 8/10
One of the better ones.

Did you watch Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol at the same time then? :D

I also watched MI:Rogue Nation. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. It was very formulaic for the franchise, it didn't really add much new to its genre. I'd also say it was at least half an hour, maybe an hour, too long.

Soldato
The Purge - Election Year - 6/10.

Bubba Shrimp owns a Deli and has a run in with some teenagers. The bad guy from the intro to Captain America: Civil War has to protect one of the women from Lost from being assassinated by redneck Nazi's and religious NRA people, all whilst having ridiculous hair and looking a little like he hasn't eaten in a while.

All in all, a little special, the acting was appalling, but it's enjoyable enough in it's own mindless way.

Caporegime
CoCo

Pixar has done it again, visually insane, the skin tones, the water effects, the movements, the colours, some of the textures were unreal. The story is predictable, but it also touched me on some level because the ending had me crying! I was like….where did this come from?

Really good, really really good.

Associate
American Assassin.

Total rubbish. Not even Michael Keaton can drag it above 3/10. Story is a complete mess and the acting is terrible from most of the main cast.

Soldato
Coco 5/10 and thats mostly just for the quality of the animation. Story was utterly uninteresting and left me feeling very meh. Last truly great Pixar was Inside Out and it hasn't been topped here.

Darkest Hour 9/10, as somebody in the media put it earlier this week, its Gary Oldman in God mode.

Soldato
American Assassin.

Total rubbish. Not even Michael Keaton can drag it above 3/10. Story is a complete mess and the acting is terrible from most of the main cast.
Such a shame too - the books are awesome and I hoped they would do more justice than Jack Reacher was given. I didn't mind Dylan O'Brien being cast as Mitch Rapp (even though he didn't 100% fit the 'description') but it didn't seem to work in this movie. The casting for Irene Kennedy was poor too :(

Soldato
The Foreigner - 7.5/10 I thought it was great,
One Jackie chans best movies in years, Pierce Brosnan also did a good job, now they are older they should do more stuff like this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insidious: The Final Key

Terrible. Starts off ok but then just loses all sense of what a horror should be about, just relying on the odd jump scare.

4/10
The last one was a bit rubbish also, they have stopped putting much care into making the movies.
Did James Wan Direct this ??

Last edited:
Soldato
What happened to Monday. 7/10

Good movie, well worth a watch if you have Netflix and are stuck for a movie some night. Completely different than I was expecting, more violent for a start. A couple of plot twists surprised me.

It's easy to figure out that Cayman is the bad person and that the siblings are been destroyed not frozen. But, I was surprised when Wednesday died so soon. Then I thought that they would all die freeing Monday and she would go on to live her life with Adrian with Saturday making a big sacrifice to save her, you know, that something was going to happen that would mean either She or Monday and got free. So having Monday betraying them all was a good twist.

Associate
Transformers the last knight. 4/10 at most, put in a few hours when the wife was away. I liked the (albeit ridiculous) links back to the King Arthur story. Also bonus point for the chick from first inbetweeners movie looking oddly like Lara Croft.

Back
Top Bottom