What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Black Panther - this film almost feels like it has to be looked at in two ways depending on how it is viewed. It is either another quite fun edition in the MCU or a groundbreaking milestone in black cinema. I really feel that it is the former and cannot see how 'important' it is, but then I am a white person from the UK. Reading about some reactions to the film it is obviously being seen as some as a cultural phenomenon, for me it was a better than average comic book film. 3/5

Black Panther - this film almost feels like it has to be looked at in two ways depending on how it is viewed. It is either another quite fun edition in the MCU or a groundbreaking milestone in black cinema. I really feel that it is the former and cannot see how 'important' it is, but then I am a white person from the UK. Reading about some reactions to the film it is obviously being seen as some as a cultural phenomenon, for me it was a better than average comic book film. 3/5

I find it hilarious when you read comments (many similar ones) that state 'finally a black superhero and not a background character'. Yeah, think you will find there was a trilogy of them the first of which was released just short of 20 years ago!

Caporegime
Call me by your name.

It’s beautiful, boring, touching, deep, too long and not for everybody. For 2 hours I didn’t have a clue what it’s meant to be as it does not adhere to your normal movie 3 arch structure, there is no villain and not plot twist. The monologue near the end brings it all together and in a way, the strength and weakness of the movie because for me, it needed it to really gets its point across but it fails for the fact that it needed it. I’ve seen other movies with the same message not needing this “tell the audience” talk.

But the setting is great, somewhere in Northern Italy and the performances are fantastic.

I’m not sure what to make of it because I was certainly bored in quite a lot of it, some shots lingers far too long, the biking in the country and they rode into the distance....about 20s of just biking, stopping asking for a glass of water, does nothing to further the plot or even mean anything between the characters. Some of that is fine but it’s a lot of it so there was a lot of yawning by me.

But it’s all a set up for the ending so I guess it worked, it’s not however as great as some critics make it out to be.

Permabanned
Call me by your name.

It’s beautiful, boring, touching, deep, too long and not for everybody. For 2 hours I didn’t have a clue what it’s meant to be as it does not adhere to your normal movie 3 arch structure, there is no villain and not plot twist. The monologue near the end brings it all together and in a way, the strength and weakness of the movie because for me, it needed it to really gets its point across but it fails for the fact that it needed it. I’ve seen other movies with the same message not needing this “tell the audience” talk.

But the setting is great, somewhere in Northern Italy and the performances are fantastic.

I’m not sure what to make of it because I was certainly bored in quite a lot of it, some shots lingers far too long, the biking in the country and they rode into the distance....about 20s of just biking, stopping asking for a glass of water, does nothing to further the plot or even mean anything between the characters. Some of that is fine but it’s a lot of it so there was a lot of yawning by me.

But it’s all a set up for the ending so I guess it worked, it’s not however as great as some critics make it out to be.

Also caught this last night! Long shot, but don't suppose you saw it at the Mockingbird? Can't imagine it's playing many other places at the moment.

Agree with many of your points, but I think I enjoyed it a lot more.

In many ways it reminded me of 'The Florida Project' which also has a similar grounded, non linear style too it and I loved that just as much.

There was a sense of immersion that felt totally distinct to these movies simply because of how down to earth EVERYTHING about them was. It's a very distinct style of filmmaking. Like you said, it's not particularly 'traditional' in its structure. Things just happen as and when, almost as though the 'big' moments in the characters lives where shot by accident alongside the smaller ones.

Whilst I didn't cry like I did at the end of 'The Florida Project', half the room was in floods of tears. It is an exceptional ending though!

Permabanned
I find it hilarious when you read comments (many similar ones) that state 'finally a black superhero and not a background character'. Yeah, think you will find there was a trilogy of them the first of which was released just short of 20 years ago!

It's not quite the same though. I don't think anyone's denying that the Blade Trilogy was a relatively big deal, but it's more contextual then that. The marvel movies hold a completely unique place in cinema history. There audience is not only consistently enormous, but spans the length and breadth of the entire globe. When you also factor in the fact that this movie doesn't just tokenise black culture in a way that a lot of people feared it would, but instead revels in it... It's a case of him not JUST being a 'black' man in a leading role. I think it's hard to see it any other way really, once you remove all cynicism from the equation.

Associate
Chock another one up for enjoying Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Didn't know anything about it going in beyond the blurb, didn't expect to like it and yet with a pretty simple plot the ensemble nature of the story and the great cast made it incredibly enjoyable. Would recommend it to anyone...plus I always find Harrelson very watchable.

Caporegime
Also caught this last night! Long shot, but don't suppose you saw it at the Mockingbird? Can't imagine it's playing many other places at the moment.

Agree with many of your points, but I think I enjoyed it a lot more.

In many ways it reminded me of 'The Florida Project' which also has a similar grounded, non linear style too it and I loved that just as much.

There was a sense of immersion that felt totally distinct to these movies simply because of how down to earth EVERYTHING about them was. It's a very distinct style of filmmaking. Like you said, it's not particularly 'traditional' in its structure. Things just happen as and when, almost as though the 'big' moments in the characters lives where shot by accident alongside the smaller ones.

Whilst I didn't cry like I did at the end of 'The Florida Project', half the room was in floods of tears. It is an exceptional ending though!

I actually saw it at my local Odeon on Wednesday night, it was the only showing the whole week or ever for this film just 1 slot on 1 screen for 1 day.

I thought the lead actor, Timothee Charlamet was amazing as the 17 year old, the older actor who plays Oliver was merely okay. I don’t see that chemistry that a lot of critics says they have. Oliver comes across as this distant, cold older guy who went to a new country and did an holiday fling.

The whole movie really comes down to Elio’s character though and his performance. He is the soul of the film and literally in every scene, I think he carried the entire film on his shoulders. As much as I thought the film works and has a powerful ending, I just can’t shake the fact that I kept yawning during it and wanted the pace to move on a bit faster and right up until the monologue I wasn’t feeling it, it needed that monologue for me to get the impact of the movie.

That Peach scene though…

Soldato
Birth of the Dragon

Absolutely shockingly awful in every way and a total insult to Bruce Lee and his legacy

1/10

I made it to about 15 mins in and turned off, I thought what is this rubbish, nothing like the Bruce lee we've seen over the years in documentaries etc. Surprised the Lee family did't try and block this crap getting released.

Caporegime
Get Out. 7/10.

Good film. Kept me entertained and pretty tense till the end and was pretty unique. Got a bit silly towards the end, but I actually expected it to tbh. Good effort all round and excellent performances from the cast. Can’t see it picking up any oscars though.

what exactly does the flash do from phones and cameras? Does it raise them from the sunken place to where they’re in control of themselves again for a few brief moments?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, think you will find there was a trilogy of them the first of which was released just short of 20 years ago!

I loved the first Blade, so so good! I don't think I've geeked out so much as I did that movie!! Funny-book reader for a long long time, and never thought we'd get such a good adaptation at the time as that! And that soundtrack :cool:

Soldato
Get Out. 7/10.

Good film. Kept me entertained and pretty tense till the end and was pretty unique. Got a bit silly towards the end, but I actually expected it to tbh. Good effort all round and excellent performances from the cast. Can’t see it picking up any oscars though.

what exactly does the flash do from phones and cameras? Does it raise them from the sunken place to where they’re in control of themselves again for a few brief moments?
yes

That's why the guy at the end blew his own head off

Soldato
Marrowbone

It's supposed to be a horror film but I've seen scarier things in my toilet after a curry the night before. Not particularly well acted, poorly directed and a storyline that was daft and hard to follow. Give this one a miss.

Don
Black Panther 7/10
Enjoyed this, certainly one of the better single hero Marvel films and works really well, characters are decent (particularly the females), Andy Serkis is absolutely terrific, some of the best music of any Marvel film, but it kind of loses it's way at the final battle which knocks a point off.

Soldato
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. never judge a book by its cover they say well never judge a film by its title...very good, bit of a mess story wise but the acting is awesome. Left a little too open at the end for me..3.8/5

Thanks to you guys for suggesting it.

rotters

Associate
I, Tonya (2018) - 8/10

A mixed true life story of the struggles, rise and fall of Tonya Harding, the Olympic figure skater.

Great acting and setting with a ‘home made’ documentary style, but the large amount of domestic violence makes for uncomfortable viewing, and some elements of the story seem irrelevant or are never explored.

The redneck culture brings with it some humorous moments to counterbalance the emotional strife in the story, and the events are presented in a mostly balanced fashion.

Back
Top Bottom