What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Last King of Scotland

I know it's been out a few years but I watched this for the second time last night and really enjoyed it. Based on the events of the brutal Ugandan dictator Idi Amin's regime as seen by his personal physician during the 1970's. Great movie, if you haven't seen it then give it a watch. Forest Whitaker is amazing as Amin and James McAvoy puts in a great performance too.

Soldato
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. never judge a book by its cover they say well never judge a film by its title...very good, bit of a mess story wise but the acting is awesome. Left a little too open at the end for me..3.8/5

Thanks to you guys for suggesting it.

rotters

I thought the ending was good, as it left the audience to make their own mind up what they would do, I personally like to think they never went through with the plan, as you could quite clearly see they both were unsure about doing it.
Sometimes endings that are left open is not great, but it worked well in this case.

Soldato
Unlocked - 4/10 - Noomi Rapace, Michael Douglas, Orlando Bloom, John Malkovich and Toni Collette - what a great list of actors for an utterly dire piece of seen it a million times before "double crossed spy film" garbage. The twists were telegraphed before the opening credits they were that weak, the script was garbage, the story was garbage, the direction was garbage and the only slightly good bits were Rapace playing a cut-price "Atomic Blonde", Toni Collette playing a Bond-esque "M" who goes mental with an assault rifle plus a special shout-out to which ever buffoon cast Orlando Bloom as an ex-Marine hardman, which was accidentally hilarious :D The calibre of the A-List cast deserved a better film.

LBJ - 7/10 -
Docu/drama style retelling of the rise of LBJ from a 22 year served Right-Wing leaning Southern Democrat Senator to a marginalised Vice President hated by those around him for being too right wing and, following JFK's murder, to a President who defied his own fellow Southern party members to carry on JFK's Civil Rights program to completion. Woody Harrelson acts his socks off and becomes utterly believable as LBJ and the prosthetics are perfect, the supporting cast do a fantastic job although there are a few mis-steps casting wise and the prosthetic nose added to Jennifer Jason-Leigh is awful in every scene, hugely reducing her impact on screen (it's like a Halloween Witches nose).

Soldato
Blade runner 2049

I know there's a lot of hate for this film on here but I loved it .looked and sounded imennce .Really wish I would have gone to see it on an IMAX screen. Yes the plot wasnt the greatest, but it still held my interest all the way to end.

I'll have to watch the original again . I haven't watched it in what seems like 20 years and I've never been a fan of it .

8-10 .

Soldato
After watching Shaun of the Dead last week it made sense to watch Zombieland this week, as mentioned it is the second best zombie comedy. Much slicker and higher production values than Shaun and good fun all through but I still prefer Shaun. 4/5

Associate
Mute

Despite being absolutely mauled in reviews, I actually quite enjoyed Duncan Jones' newest endeavour. Mystery/Thriller with scifi undertones, silent protagonist, Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd. Yes the story was a little tortuous at times but It kept my attention for it's 2 hour running time and left me satisfied in the end. I wouldn't hesitate to award it a 6 or a 7 (out of 10) and recommend it (with the caveat that it's not doing anything special, and is just a watchable piece of cinematography). Also liked the references back to Moon.

Soldato
Darkest Hour - loved it, wanted it to continue documenting Churchill throughout the war effort, I'd gladly watch a sequel to continue the journey

8/10 - took a few points of for "artistic license used on a number of scenes"

Back
Top Bottom