What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Watched the directors definitive edition of Heat.

Probably haven't seen this since it's orignal release. Certainly not as good as it remember and definitely 20 minutes too long.

Blu-ray image quality very hit and miss, particular as this is apparently taken from a 4k DI. Similarly the sound too is inconsistent, with dialogue being on the quiet side to action sequences that rattle the windows.

6.5/10

Soldato
The sequel is actually a prequel, tells the story of what happened at the Norweigan base and goes right up to a final scene of them taking off in the helicopter to chase the wolf, so fits together really well with Carpenters film if you watch them back to back. Its actually pretty decent, not as good as the first thing, but a good compliment to it to form the complete story.

Not a bad film at all. I ws expecting it to be rank but was pleasantly surprised.

Soldato
Solaris (2002)

This has been one of my favourites since I first saw it. Thought provoking with excellent blend of music and visuals. It always gives me a feeling of longing for something indescribable.

9/10

Permabanned
Mandy

Loved the first act to pieces but starts to keel over around half way through. Performances are excellent for the most part and whilst the story and style aren't particularly original (though more so then half the dreck that comes out these days) I'd say it's definitely still worth a watch.

Caporegime
Solaris (2002)

This has been one of my favourites since I first saw it. Thought provoking with excellent blend of music and visuals. It always gives me a feeling of longing for something indescribable.

9/10

Yeah I really like it and I can't really put my finger on why.

Objectively it's not a 'great' movie but there's something about it.

Might as well post this:

Soldato
Yeah I really like it and I can't really put my finger on why.

Objectively it's not a 'great' movie but there's something about it.

Might as well post this:

I can see why some people don't like it, as it's not a 'conventional' film. There are also those who prefer the original (which I haven't seen). At its core I find it to be a tragedy, a story about lost love. If anything would improve it I think probably remove a couple of supporting actors which would make it feel less B-movie and push it more into Terrence Malick territory.

Soldato
I can see why some people don't like it, as it's not a 'conventional' film. There are also those who prefer the original (which I haven't seen). At its core I find it to be a tragedy, a story about lost love. If anything would improve it I think probably remove a couple of supporting actors which would make it feel less B-movie and push it more into Terrence Malick territory.

It's a thoughtful, considered movie about love and loss. The science fiction setting and what Solaris is and can do is just a story mechanism to make the rest of it work. I think one of the reasons why so many reviewers and public were down on it is because it looks like one thing, but it's really something else. Despite it's setting, Solaris is a slow-burn sci-fi movie that's meant to make you think about life, love, and what you'd do to get it back. It's just like a lot of written sci-fi that rarely gets made into movies because there's no laser swords and spaceship dogfights.

Soldato
After seeing the reviews in here of Children of Men, I thought I'd give it a go over the weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought the camera work was excellent too. Even the missus (who says she doesn't like serious films), was staring over the top of her book at it. The single take sequences were great, even if they were several shots joined together. One of the better films I've seen recently.

Soldato
watched The Hateful Eight on Saturday night.......

looks wonderful but what a stupidly guff film. utter dross, the over-acting in some scenes was cringe worthy at times. filled with very poor attempts to 'shock' - the SLJ monologue to the general about his son was just about the stupidest bit of movie making i've seen in a long time. complete gash.

3/10 - and it's getting those 3 points purely for the scenery.

Caporegime
The Age of Adaline (Netflix)

I love this movie, I think 99% of it is because of Blake Lively in it…I like the simple story, I like the predictable twist and ending and I even like the silly faux made up science. I might even buy this on Bluray…

The Nutcracker and the 4 realms.

Clearly aimed at children. McKenzie Foy is good but the dude who plays the Nutcracker is wooden as wood. The casting is wonderful though but I am probably too old for this, or at least, this movie doesn’t have anything really for grown ups, unlike Pixar movies. I found myself very bored about 45mins in.

Caporegime
Crazy Rich Asians

Really enjoyed this, even though it was pretty formulaic as a Rom-Dramedy. Maybe the setting being unconventional gives it a nicer gloss than it would if it were generic white Americans in the Hamptons.

7/10

Hereditary

What a pile of cack. Like mega pile. Not scary or creepy, and a frankly moronic ending.

2/10

Soldato
Cliffhangar (4K) - 6/10

Not bad upscale of the original, with average sound. If you put your brain in neutral, half decent action film but in terms of mountaineering and mountain rescue in particular, even from my armchair perspective totally ludicrous. Best part John Lithgow's OTT attempt at a British accent along with his raspy one liner put downs!

Don
Overlord - 8/10
Really enjoyed this, a bit cliched at the beginning but once on the ground it blends the traditional war elements with the horror gore sections brilliantly as it gets more and more gruesome.

Soldato
The Age of Adaline (Netflix)

I love this movie, I think 99% of it is because of Blake Lively in it…I like the simple story, I like the predictable twist and ending and I even like the silly faux made up science. I might even buy this on Bluray.

This along with The Time Travellers Wife are guilty pleasures of mine in films I shouldn’t like as much as I do.

Caporegime
This along with The Time Travellers Wife are guilty pleasures of mine in films I shouldn’t like as much as I do.

I shouldn't either, on all accounts the film is like 5/10 at best but I am willing forgive it all, the plot holes etc and enjoy the ride. I don't even think Ellis is "the one", Adaline had more chemistry with older Harrison Ford than she does with the younger Ellis but it's all forgiven and I enjoy the ride.

I have seen this at the cinema and then at least 4 more times at home now, like every 6 months I will put it on again.

Man of Honour
Watched Dead Mine on the horror channel. Essentially a very similar story to the WW2 undead nazis film Outpost but set in the pacific arena so its Japanese soldiers instead.

The film actually wasnt too bad I guess, or I should say that 75% of it was, then 20% of it was progressively worse and the final 5% was atrocious, like they just ran out of money or something and stuck something on the end to finish the film.

6\10, slowly descending to 1\10 by the credits.

One of the main characters was an english mercenary guy and near the end its just him and one woman left alive, they have to swim through a water filled tunnel to escape, she dives through , then he dives through and thats the last you see of him. Thats it, no explanation or anything about what happened to him. I actually thought I had missed an entire scene or it had been cut from the tv version or something, but nope, thats just the way its supposed to be

Soldato
Really keen to re watch Children of Men again after seeing some of you guys going on about it. Can't remember too much about it as I saw it on release.

All I do remember is a scene with Radiohead playing. The last thing that fades from memory of films for me is the music/soundtrack, and I get lots of visual feedback linked with the film if I listen to that music while trying to sleep/rest.

Soldato
watched The Hateful Eight on Saturday night.......

looks wonderful but what a stupidly guff film. utter dross, the over-acting in some scenes was cringe worthy at times. filled with very poor attempts to 'shock' - the SLJ monologue to the general about his son was just about the stupidest bit of movie making i've seen in a long time. complete gash.

3/10 - and it's getting those 3 points purely for the scenery.

Have you watched any other Tarantino movies? Do you rate them? I don't think H8 was his best work, but i thought it was excellent.

Also, the SLJ speech you refer too was excellent too, that is one of the main bits that has stuck with me. The tension, the build up etc between the 2 actors while SLJ was antagonising the General was very well done. And the way the scene played out with flashbacks and scenery was very well done too - i hate the word 'dingus' now as it constantly brings me back to 'that' scene.

Back
Top Bottom