What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
The Age of Adaline (Netflix)

I love this movie, I think 99% of it is because of Blake Lively in it…I like the simple story, I like the predictable twist and ending and I even like the silly faux made up science. I might even buy this on Bluray…

I really wanted to like this, but damn it's awful.

Along with the time travelers wife. They are both my type of movie too :(

You've probably seen but;

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

Along the same kind of movie, and rather excellent.

Caporegime

Seen it, lovely film but I have seen Adaline more and love it more. About Time is a better film though, without question.

Man of Honour
Geostorm

Unquestionably dumb disaster flick with a surprising lack of natural disaster amongst its over the top special effects scenes which are mostly set in space (?!). Despite that, truly hilarious in its ridiculousness and probably knowingly so - tongue firmly in cheek. Frankly this was exactly the sort of thing that I fancied watching and it delivered the stupid by the truckload.

Highlight was a scene that made absolutely no sense promting a bad guy to say “... but.... how how?!”. The answer: “because I’m the goddamn president, that’s how!” :D

7/10

Caporegime

I really enjoyed Adaline. Not sure why, the plot was obvious and borderline cheesy but I thought it was just a nice movie :)

And its not even my type of movie either!

Will check out the one you linked :)

Soldato
Have you watched any other Tarantino movies? Do you rate them? I don't think H8 was his best work, but i thought it was excellent.

Also, the SLJ speech you refer too was excellent too, that is one of the main bits that has stuck with me. The tension, the build up etc between the 2 actors while SLJ was antagonising the General was very well done. And the way the scene played out with flashbacks and scenery was very well done too - i hate the word 'dingus' now as it constantly brings me back to 'that' scene.
i know films can be subjective but for me the film was totally dire. i have watched other Tarantino films and am a big fan. i get with all his over the top scenes but this film felt like a parody - in fact i began to think he was actually trying to make a comedy (along the lines of Blazing saddles) but that it just fell on its arse.

i don't get how you found the SLJ speech tense. it was forced, fake over the top and to be frank, utterly stupid. i have seen episodes of holyoaks (i don't watch it but have seen bits!) that have more tension in them. i found it awkward and uncomfortable and just wanted it to stop - i was urging the the general to hurry up and reach for the gun......hell if i had had a gun nearby i may have reached for it myself. when you compare that to, say, SLJ's speech in Pulp Fiction - now that was tension, this just felt like a parody of that.
some of the acting was borderline god awful (unless of course they were going for the full on Blazing Saddles style parody/comedy film then the hammy OTT acting makes sense) Walter Goggins, for example, needs to stick to tv shows.

everything was too overplayed (i appreciate this is a bit of a trademark of Tarantino but there's overplayed for good reason and then there's just drawing it out needlessly) the scene where the gang rock up Minnies and subsequently kill everyone bar the general was just too padded out, the interest and tension evaporated the longer it dragged on.

Michael Madsen, i just don't know what to say about him - i guess if it wasn't for Tarantino he'd be stacking shelves at Walmart.

poor film for me in virtually every aspect.

Man of Honour
The Hateful Eight has no rewatch value whatsoever. It’s far too long and there is an imbalance between character building and waffle, it mostly being the latter. Really disappointing and easily my least favourite of all the Tarrentino films.

Soldato
Personally, I loved it and have watched it about three times.
It's silly, overlong, OTT and isn't even trying to be realistic. What entertained me was all the intentionally silly dialogue and interplay between the characters.

It's just a bit of fun.

Associate
Wind River, award worthy performance from Jeremy Renner, solid work from Olsen and the supporting cast too. It is the same writer as Hell or High Water (which I found a somewhat overhyped/rated) and Sicario which I loved, and he says it is a loose trilogy about the modern american frontier, and is the writer '-directing' this one also. Uses the snowing, frozen Wyoming setting incredibly well, and has a depressingly realistic feel to the action/violence similar to Sicario but even more gritty to be honest. I thought it was gripping and quite well paced, the ending sneaks up on you and is brutal

Permabanned
Wind River, award worthy performance from Jeremy Renner, solid work from Olsen and the supporting cast too. It is the same writer as Hell or High Water (which I found a somewhat overhyped/rated) and Sicario which I loved, and he says it is a loose trilogy about the modern american frontier, and is the writer '-directing' this one also. Uses the snowing, frozen Wyoming setting incredibly well, and has a depressingly realistic feel to the action/violence similar to Sicario but even more gritty to be honest. I thought it was gripping and quite well paced, the ending sneaks up on you and is brutal

Totally agree, one of my favourite flicks of last year. That scene... so unbelievably well directed and haunting. I agree about Hell or High Water btw, the weakest of the three by a country mile.

The Hateful Eight has no rewatch value whatsoever. It’s far too long and there is an imbalance between character building and waffle, it mostly being the latter. Really disappointing and easily my least favourite of all the Tarrentino films.

Aha, the debate about this film resurfaces every so often on this thread. I'm the complete opposite personally and thought it was astonishingly good. Easily one of his best pictures by a long way. Feels like the culmination of all his themes and techniques. It feels a little messy sure, but all the more dynamic and interesting because of that.

Associate
Aha, the debate about this film resurfaces every so often on this thread. I'm the complete opposite personally and thought it was astonishingly good. Easily one of his best pictures by a long way. Feels like the culmination of all his themes and techniques. It feels a little messy sure, but all the more dynamic and interesting because of that.

I admit when I saw it in the cinema I found it dragged somewhat and was a bit disappointing, however since then I've rewatched it properly once and have just started another recently (seems to lend itself to not having to watch in one sitting, with how he structures it and the set-piece conversation scenes. It is definitely not my favourite of his but I'd put it above Django (too silly, would have been almost bad if not for Waltz) and Inglorious (didnt do a lot for me other than that opening scene) at least. I didn't like KB1 much at first but it has grown on me, probably on a par. Walton Goggins is one of my favourite actors so was nice to see him in a meaty role even if it did play to his type-casting. Also Morricone. ETA: oh and death proof is by far the worst of his, I hated that boring piece of garbage, and I love Kurt Russell

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, we both really enjoyed it tbh
7/10

hmm, not hearing many of those, I've heard a lot of poor reviews saying it is worse than the first (which I though was entertaining as far as it went but pretty sucky and forgettable)

Soldato
Mile 22. Rubbish really, takes about 3/4 of the film to get going and then they use flashbacks that spoil the ending all the way through the film! 3/10.

Got to agree

Called the ending as soon as the guy was doing all the finger pressing during the lie detector.
Then you had the flash forwards with him in front of the panel explaining things, so you knew the whole operate screwed up in the end.

Back
Top Bottom