1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Will have to see this, I do like Lanthimos quirky films. Enjoyed the lobster and killing of a sacred deer.

2. Scam

Capodecina

Ha, I didn't realise it was by that guy. My girlfriend hated the Lobster (well, thought it was too weird) but really wanted to see The Favourite. Shall I tell her.. hmn..

3. IvanDobskey

Soldato

The lobster was really weird, one of the reasons I liked it so much :p

My Mrs is the same though, didn't like it. I'm struggling to get her to watch any more Lanthimos films now :(

Shame as I'd like to see dog tooth as well.

4. eggcup

Wise Guy

Bird box!

Really good imo.

5. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Bad Times at El Royale - 7.5/10.

Great start, but started to drag a bit when Thor turned up, but then ramped up again. Good movie, but would have liked to see more of Jon Hamm - great actor!

6. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

I finally watched Justice League. Well, it wasn't as bad as Suicide Squad so that's a bonus. In fact, I have it as arguably better than Batman vs Superman. All the Marvel stuff craps all over it though. The forced humour was with Batman was... odd. Ben Affleck looks like he doesn't want to be there. Gal Gadot remains stunning. All the others were abit meh. Flash was alright but I'm so used to TV Flash that my loyalties lie elsewhere haha!

7. PlacidCasual

Soldato

On re-watch I think I prefer Suicide Squad. I like Affleck as Batman but I just think his character is written wrong he lacks some of the essential Batman characteristics, killing people for a start.

I re-watched Black Panther with the wife I'll give it 6/10 second time round. She was watching for the first time enjoyed it and liked that it had a reasonable attempt at a plot. For me it was a bit diminished after the first watch at the cinema. For me the Captain America and Guardians films have proved the most re-watchable. Tonight will be my first re-watch of Infinity War and the wife watching it for the first time.

I also watched Pacific Rim Uprising which had neither the spectacle, acting or pacing of the first 4/10. I though Scott Eastwood was under used I thought he was decent, Boyega wasn't too bad. It just didn't hold together very well and the internal logic was contrived even for a film about giant robots and monsters.

8. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Affleck is a great Batman but this is from a comic book reader, he's got the mass, the fighting ability, the prescence, he's a Batman that feels like he's actually dangerous for a change.

In regards to killing people, cinematic Batmen have killed across most of the movies, while not always directly, often by inaction or as collateral damage. It's just much more in your face with the Snyderverse Batman.

9. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Burton's Batman certainly did.

Pretty sure Christian Bale would have killed people (as Bruce Wayne) when he blew up the HQ of the League of Assassins...As Batman though, he definitely didn't

10. Flinkman

Associate

Mute (Netflix) 8/10

I'm not sure why this film was slated so badly, I really enjoyed it last night. A mute bar tender is on the trail to find his missing girlfriend in a cyber punk future set in Germany. Some really good characters and a story that more or less keeps you guessing until the end. Wish I'd watched it sooner.

11. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Could be argued he killed Ra's by inaction but that's stretching it a bit.

While Batman doesn't kill, he certainly leaves plenty with crippling lifetime injuries :D

12. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Murder is always the line he will not cross, Snyderverse Batman seems to overstep this I reckon. One shame about Batman movies for me is his comic role as the greatest detective is seriously played down and its about the vigilante. But I do think with right material Affleck could have played that World weary older Batman really really well.

13. IvanDobskey

Soldato

I was fairly hyped for this film, then the reviews came and utterly slaughtered it :(

Haven't watched it yet....

14. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

I always thought Josh Brolin could have been an excellent older Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns batman but with his recent comic book roles, it's very unlikely.

15. Kill_Phil

Wise Guy

Birdbox - 6/10. Watched to see what the hype is all about. Average horror with unanswered questions/certain plot holes but overall worth a watch.

16. Soviet

Wise Guy

I saw Bird Box as well. I didn't know what to expect from it but found it pretty dark and creepy and I liked the fact you don't get to see the monster(s) and a lot of stuff is open to the imagination.

17. Distracted

Wise Guy

Deadpool 2.

I enjoyed it, although I do think the first was better. It didn't feel like a bad sequel and I loved the post credits scene.

18. Ninco!

Hitman

Many thanks Freddie64 and Steve5424 for these recommendations, will check them out. :)

19. sbweightman

Hitman

The Favourite (2018) - 7/10

A quirky and peculiar presentation, with some very artistic moments and some very bizarre moments.

Strong acting from the leads as they suffer tragedy and frivolity, although the story isn’t that great overall.

Great use of the expensive historical setting, with extravagance always on show, and the music manages to be both beautiful and haunting.

20. Dirk

Wise Guy

The movie is far more 'normal' than his previous releases. It should appeal to a wider audience.

The use of natural lighting is beautiful in the film, particularly when its just candle and firelight. Some scenes are stunning, and the costumes and sets are deserving of awards.