What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The one I love 7/10

Quirky little film that I'm not quite sure how to pidgeonhole. Not really a romance film, more of a relationship study, mystery, drama with a touch of sci-fi. Elisabeth Moss and Mark Duplass are really good as the leads.

Really worth a watch.

Soldato
Predator (2018) 5/10

Whilst nowhere near as good as the original is was better than I was expecting after reading the reviews & having watched a lot of films this past month it's certainly not the worst I've seen recently.

Caporegime
Watched Unbreakable last night, gotta be 17 years since I saw that. All in prep for 'Glass' (although reviews for that are average)

Thought it was still decent. Bruce Willis is a bit of an emotionless presence though...

8/10

Ending is a bit abrupt

Associate
Sully

As we've just passed the 10th anniversary of the Hudson ditching and I've never seen it and noticed last week it was on Prime I thought we'd may as well watch it. Really enjoyed it, it didn't drag anywhere, I think the mucking about with the timeline kept the pace more even than it otherwise would have been. The flying scenes were great. 9/10 (point lost for boo/hiss pantomime safety board villain).

Soldato
Watching is last night, although the story was good. It was like watching a film in slow motion, a lot of the times I was tempted to just hit fast forward.
The way I took it, the movie was about Phoenix's character, with the happenings as a sort of McGuffin - hence, we have lot of him struggling to exist, rather than seeing him doing his job. So we see him experience PTSD, and see why he does what he does, the relationships he's had with the key woman in his life, his mother, and how he's defined as a protector, can only find comfort in that role: his only presence in the world (never really here.....).

Not for everyone, I suspect :)

Soldato
The way I took it, the movie was about Phoenix's character, with the happenings as a sort of McGuffin - hence, we have lot of him struggling to exist, rather than seeing him doing his job. So we see him experience PTSD, and see why he does what he does, the relationships he's had with the key woman in his life, his mother, and how he's defined as a protector, can only find comfort in that role: his only presence in the world (never really here.....).

Not for everyone, I suspect :)

Yes, the trailer made it look like some kind of action/revenge flick, but it was more of a character study of this one guy doing bad things for good reasons who ends up being set up, and how he gets his revenge, escapes his old life, and finds some kind of absolution and a bit of hope for the future.

Associate
Watched Split Second last night, tracked it down on a German blu ray import. I went into it with rose tinted glasses even referring to it as a guilty pleasure from my younger years but it hasn't aged well and I fell asleep for the last part.

Soldato
Watched Split Second last night, tracked it down on a German blu ray import. I went into it with rose tinted glasses even referring to it as a guilty pleasure from my younger years but it hasn't aged well and I fell asleep for the last part.

The Rutger Hauer one in post apocalyptic london? Guilty pleasure movie in my teens but as you say, really hasn't aged well.

Great article on it here with a tenuous link to Venom:

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies...al-venom-movie-you-probably-didn-t-know-about

Associate
I w
Watched Unbreakable last night, gotta be 17 years since I saw that. All in prep for 'Glass' (although reviews for that are average)

Thought it was still decent. Bruce Willis is a bit of an emotionless presence though...

8/10

Ending is a bit abrupt

I watched Unbreakable as well, can't remember if I've seen it since I saw it at the cinema. Still pretty good movie though. Tonight I'm planning to watch Split so I'm up to date with it until I see Glass on Sunday

Associate
Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom - 6/10

Good fun. The storyline gets a bit odd. The first one is still on another level to the rest.

Sicario - 8/10

Seen it before and really enjoyed it. Watched again and enjoyed it even more. You notice more things such as Del Toro uses his body to intimidate. Good film.

Soldato
Sicario - 8/10

Seen it before and really enjoyed it. Watched again and enjoyed it even more. You notice more things such as Del Toro uses his body to intimidate. Good film.

A wet willy never looked as painful as when he ear bangs Jon Bernthal.

I've probably watched it maybe 5 times, I find it a near perfect movie on every level apart from the shoe horned Mexican cop side story.

Associate
I've probably watched it maybe 5 times, I find it a near perfect movie on every level apart from the shoe horned Mexican cop side story.

I think it's there to show that corruption is rife in Mexican law enforcement. It's mentioned in the film earlier that they should keep a beady eye on any local law enforcement as they might try something. They tried to humanise him by showing his family but ultimately he's working for the cartel and we know how much Del Toro's character hates them haha!

On a side note, I've begun to notice that we have simialr tastes with regards to pretty much all media haha!

I've got the second one to watch as well (not seen this one!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom